Fastest possible Access and Writing setup

Hi,  This question is not absolutely directly related to UNRAID. However, you guys know this stuff the best.

I have UNRAID Plus running Version 6.1.9.

I really like UNRAID and have been running in for more than 5 years now. Very happy.

In Writing to UNRAID the speed is not mind blowing.  And that is perfectly fine.

I use UNRAID mostly as a media file server for my Home entertainment.  Also for my documents and photo's.

I only have 4 slots on my UNRAID mobo, all used up.  (parity +3).  I don't want to mess around with Cache drives and adding one will mean purchasing more hardware to accomodate it.

I am considering the following course of action:

Retain all my older movies, shows, documents on UNRAID.

Employ a new device/system to store most Recent / Current files

Periodically copy this category of files to my UNRAID

The upshot would be that UNRAID acts as my secure data storage backup and "older media files" server.

Whilst the other 'system' would receive and serve the newest files at maximum possible speed.

Setup:

I have an ONHUB router running wireless AC.

Wired connection to 5 port TPlink switch

Wired connection to UNRAID

Philips Hue + Smartthings Hub

All other devices are wirelessly connected to the router

My devices are 3 windows PC's

2 Nexus players

1 Nvidia Shield Media player

Question:

How should i serve files the very fastest ?

Should I get a device to attach to the router via USB ?

What is best ?

Thanks.

To improve write speeds you could enable "turbo write". See: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=52122.0

Reads can potentially saturate your gigabit Ethernet connection already. Replacing your wireless network with real wires would help as it would result in a switched network, rather than one where your devices are sharing one chunk of wireless space and with interference from other wireless devices nearby.

I don't know what you mean by the USB option.

I don't know what you mean by the USB option.

Some routers have a USB port and support accessing an external USB drive over the network that way. Sort of a NAS but a lot less features typically. I have always thought routers had enough work to do without adding this to them, but I haven't tried it with any recent routers so if you already have the equipment why not try it. Might be faster than trying to serve files from your other devices which as you say are wireless.

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I meant the USB port on the router.  I performed a test on the LAN. 

From this PC to the UNRAID over wireless, Totusoft LAN speed  test gave me a speed result of 60 write and 40 read (Mbps).

A File file copying from UNRAID files to this PC according to microsoft, is being conducted at a speed of 6 MB/s  (times 8=48 Mbps).  Close enough.

When I ping the server,  I get a round trip of around 94ms.  I guess that is not good ?

Hi,

I connected my PC to my network via Cat 5e cable  (Cat 5e to TP-Link Switch to UNRAID ).

I performed a "LAN Speed Test"

Results:

Write: 535 Mbps

Read:930 Mbps

When I copy a file in either direction (PC to UNRAID or UNRAID to PC) via Windows copy:

113 MB/s

Is this pretty much the best I can hope for.  (I think it is pretty good!) ?