[Support] cheesemarathons repo

8 hours ago, Freshavakado said:

I've been setting up SteamCacheBundle on UnRaid 6.6.2 and I have been following this guide https://squishedmooo.com/the-new-and-easier-all-in-one-steamcache/ but I've not been able to get past the part where it says to "Run the following command in an SSH session to your unRAID server:

docker exec -it SteamCacheBundle tail -f /data/logs/access.log". I've typed it in on the server itself, I've used the remote terminal from the UnRaid dashboard, and I've downloaded PuTTY and tryed to do it that way and I've had no luck. I'll type it in and nothing else will happen. I'm still fairly new to UnRaid, Docker and the like, anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've gotten past the point of running the powershell cmd but haven't been able to get further. 

Head to the Docker page in the unRAID GUI. Click on the icon for Steam Cache Bundle. Click "Console". In the new window that opens type

tail -f /data/logs/access.log

then hit enter. You should then be able to continue with the instructions. If it mentions running

docker exec -it SteamCacheBundle tail -f /data/logs/access.log

again, do as I have instructed here again.

Edited by cheesemarathon
2 hours ago, Freshavakado said:

This is what I'm getting when I type that into the SteamCacheBundle console.

Capture.PNG.af230e207ad0ad564c99d2e8bf726ad7.PNG

Ok, background knowledge time. Docker containers run in their own self-contained environment. In order to get shell access to them you need to run the command:

docker exec -it <container-name> <command>

This will run the command you place in <command> in the container you specify.

In unRAID you can also click the console button on the container you want, and this will open a console window in the container you specify.

unRaid is effectively running the following command:

docker exec -it <container-name> /bin/bash

Then you can run any command you like and it will execute in then container.

Therefore, you have two options. One, open a terminal window connected to your unRAID server and run:

docker exec -it SteamCacheBundle tail -f /data/logs/access.log

Here you can see you container name is "SteamCacheBundle" and the command is "tail -f /data/logs/access.log"

Or you can open the unRAID GUI, click on the console button for the SteamCacheBundle container and then in the new window run:

tail -f /data/logs/access.log

I hope this clears things up for you

Thanks for the information, that's really good to know, always appreciate learning something new. So I did try it again with the correct commands while using SteamCacheBundle console and I'm still now seeing anything happening after entering the command. I thought maybe some screen caps might help explain a bit. So that's what the console looks like when I put in the command, I tried it twice and the rest of the photos are how I have the container set up. I really appreciate your help. 

Capture4.PNG.a8db5b4f278cde7a56cb5ee9586f6067.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.31d2f3cce51702e392accb4ba34efd2b.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.146c396951a73ad6de473f7618d7a3a7.PNGCapture.PNG.046ec94b35095401e472b9b828c2c68d.PNG

Hello guy´s,

i have tried to get this working under Unraid 6.6.4 but it don´t work

Heare are some data:

Settings from Steamcache:

Unbenannt3.thumb.PNG.f4ad2874b64594ebc9cbf86034924e43.PNG

Logs from the Docker

Unbenannt1.PNG.fe2f6bfee67ee779cb8104da6038305f.PNG

Powershell:

Unbenannt.PNG.a9b9b523ae0a03c8e39b5af22cb4c869.PNG

Fritzbox settings

Unbenannt2.PNG.cb7a4c7dbcb47c81af8511a6d6766396.PNG

(i also tried to set secondary DNS Server to 8.8.8.8

Windows:

4.PNG.b29842a0639dee3fecf0cfabf9109cb3.PNG

In the folder from steamcache ther is only a cache folder.

And this folder is completly empty

The HDD doesn´t spin up when i downloading a game in steam.

What can i do to get this work?

EDIT:

Ok thats strange.

i Turned on "Privileged" in the settings, now i have no error code in the logs.

When i download a game in steam, uninstalled it an installed it nothing happende, no data´s in the folder.

I started battlenet and downloaded a patch for destiny 2.

Now i have folders in the caching folder ?!

Whats the problem in my configuration? :D

I´m about to download hearthstone, uninstall it and try to install it and see if it works.

Edited by dezai

Hi.

I ma getting the same problem as both posters above.

So i have installed the docker. given it a fixed IP of 192.168.102.200 and changed the LAN_CACHE ip to 192.168.102.200 (Using Custom:BR0) in network type

Switched on Privileged (otherwise i get erros in the log)

pretty much everything else as default.

Docker seems to start fine... if I then open console window in Unraid and type tail -f /data/logs/access.log and hit enter and then start a download on Steam, origin or blizzard i get nothing in the console window.

Also tried putty and get the same. 

No folders are being created in the Cache folder on my share.

any help appreciated.

Edit: dont know if it makes a difference but I am running Pfsense as my router

Edited by enigma27
On 11/10/2018 at 10:44 PM, Freshavakado said:

Thanks for the information, that's really good to know, always appreciate learning something new. So I did try it again with the correct commands while using SteamCacheBundle console and I'm still now seeing anything happening after entering the command. I thought maybe some screen caps might help explain a bit. So that's what the console looks like when I put in the command, I tried it twice and the rest of the photos are how I have the container set up. I really appreciate your help.

Hey!

Year very nearly there. There is just one error in your config. The "LANCACHE_IP" setting wants to be the same IP as you set in the "Fixed IP" setting. So in your case both should be 192.168.1.75

Then you should be good to go. That command you run will then output the logs from the container and you will see the cache working.

16 hours ago, dezai said:

Hello guy´s,

i have tried to get this working under Unraid 6.6.4 but it don´t work

Heare are some data:

Settings from Steamcache:

Unbenannt3.thumb.PNG.f4ad2874b64594ebc9cbf86034924e43.PNG

Logs from the Docker

Unbenannt1.PNG.fe2f6bfee67ee779cb8104da6038305f.PNG

Powershell:

Unbenannt.PNG.a9b9b523ae0a03c8e39b5af22cb4c869.PNG

Fritzbox settings

Unbenannt2.PNG.cb7a4c7dbcb47c81af8511a6d6766396.PNG

(i also tried to set secondary DNS Server to 8.8.8.8

Windows:

4.PNG.b29842a0639dee3fecf0cfabf9109cb3.PNG

In the folder from steamcache ther is only a cache folder.

And this folder is completly empty

The HDD doesn´t spin up when i downloading a game in steam.

What can i do to get this work?

EDIT:

Ok thats strange.

i Turned on "Privileged" in the settings, now i have no error code in the logs.

When i download a game in steam, uninstalled it an installed it nothing happende, no data´s in the folder.

I started battlenet and downloaded a patch for destiny 2.

Now i have folders in the caching folder ?!

Whats the problem in my configuration? :D

I´m about to download hearthstone, uninstall it and try to install it and see if it works.

In your windows pc dns settings I would not set the secondary DNS. Although you might think it would only use that if the first fails, that is not always the case depending on the application. Some times it will skip the first or just randomly chose one of the two. If you only set one, there is only one it can use.

I havn't used steamcache in a bit. I'll spin up my instance when I get home tonight and see if i'm having any issues.

12 hours ago, enigma27 said:

Hi.

So i have installed the docker. given it a fixed IP of 192.168.102.200 and changed the LAN_CACHE ip to 192.168.102.200 (Using Custom:BR0) in network type

Docker seems to start fine... if I then open console window in Unraid and type tail -f /data/logs/access.log and hit enter and then start a download on Steam, origin or blizzard i get nothing in the console window.

any help appreciated.

Thanks for all the info. I will spin up my instance of steamcache when I get home from work, as i'm unsure what the issue is here.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, cheesemarathon said:

In your windows pc dns settings I would not set the secondary DNS. Although you might think it would only use that if the first fails, that is not always the case depending on the application. Some times it will skip the first or just randomly chose one of the two. If you only set one, there is only one it can use.

I havn't used steamcache in a bit. I'll spin up my instance when I get home tonight and see if i'm having any issues.

Thank you for youre answer.

I´ve tested last night, what happens when i only set the DNS in my Fritzbox Router.

Not in the WIndows client.

When i use this, steamcache creates folders when i use battlenet.

But not with Steam.

But i changed yesterday a lot in my server.

So i try to test it today after work and set no secondary ip adress in my router and see if this fix my problem.

EDIT:

hmmmmmmit´s so strange.

Now it doens´t work...

Settings:

Unbenannt.PNG.2ae4696b2de5f2cf11c3bf76ca2a59b3.PNG

Unbenannt1.PNG.cc8fee116456b562b40782707f0cc819.PNG

I reinstalled the docker container, no errors, in the powershell everything is ok.

But when i downloade a game nothing happend.

ALSO one strange thing is, when i turn the steamcache docker off.

I can browse normaly.......but why?

The DNS Server is OFFLINE......why i can browse normaly in the www?

I don´t understand where is my fault?

Ok.....is ther a problem if i haven´t a ipv4 adress?

In Germany you only get a ds-lite tunnel.

An other guy has the same problem:

https://github.com/steamcache/steamcache-dns/issues/24

I think my problem is ipv6

Ohhhh i hate my internetprovider.

My Internetconnection has no IPV4.

And all my IPV4 requests are tunneld through IPv6.......so i have NO IPV4 requests and steamcache can´t cache anything.

Is that right?

And how can i change that?

Edited by dezai

First, I want to say thank you so much for putting this docker together.  I have a super crappy internet connection and with three computers used to play Steam and Blizzard games, being able to update one machine (usually over night) and then updating the rest within minutes is so nice...

With that said,  I believe I found a potential bug that I "hacked" to get working, but if you could include an option in the configuration settings to enter the dnssec-validation option in the /etc/bind/named.conf.options file that would be awesome.  The reason I ask, is I would like to be able to use OpenDNS for my upstream dns.  The default dnssec-validation is set to auto, but when using OpenDNS, the cache server doesn't provide a response.  To help troubleshoot (or complicate things), I added a Pi-Hole server in the middle.  I could see the cache server asking Pi-Hole and it providing the IP address as the response, but the cache server never sent the IP on to the client.

By changing the "dnssec-validation no;", killing the named currently running and manually restarting it, everything is working perfect.  I get the ad blocking benefit of Pi-Hole along with the content filter of OpenDNS.

But, if I edit or restart the docker, it changes the dnssec-validation option back to auto and DNS stops working again.

Thanks,

James

On 11/16/2018 at 7:25 PM, enigma27 said:

@cheesemarathon did you manage to take a look?

been trying for the last three days to get this to work and so far nothing I have done seems to have any effect

Hi, sorry I haven't had time to look at this, however, @mlebjerg is the expert and maintainer of this version of the container so I shall message him and hopefully, he can add the option

On 11/11/2018 at 11:53 PM, enigma27 said:

Hi.

any help appreciated.

Hi @enigma27 

Sorry for the very late response, i have been super swamped with work and school.

Try running it with privileged off. And send me the errors :)

Edited by mlebjerg

@mlebjerg

THanks the error is just about enabling cache for the first service when setting up. using privaledged gets rid of the error..

I think its a problem with Pfsense and DNS servers some how.. I am not knowldgable enough with Pfsense to understand what needs to be changed to fix it.

question.

Even if i did not set the fixed IP s the DNS server in my router should it still show something in the log? i.e the misses?

21 hours ago, enigma27 said:

@mlebjerg

THanks the error is just about enabling cache for the first service when setting up. using privaledged gets rid of the error..

I think its a problem with Pfsense and DNS servers some how.. I am not knowldgable enough with Pfsense to understand what needs to be changed to fix it.

question.

Even if i did not set the fixed IP s the DNS server in my router should it still show something in the log? i.e the misses?

@enigma27

I have never used pfSense, have you watched this video? 

Setup the dns on your local machine and do this:

Terminal (Mac/Linux):
dig @X.X.X.X +short steamcache.cs.steampowered.com

Power Shell (Windows):
Resolve-DnsName steamcache.cs.steampowered.com -server X.X.X.X

If it returns a local IP you should be good. Try downloading something on steam and see if it hits or misses.

If that works it is a pfSense problem.

If it is a problem with SteamCache i will need you to turn off privileged and send pictures of the errors and setup :)

Even if I set-up the Steamcache IP as a DNS server in either windows or PFsense and resolve the name in powershell it seems to work

PS C:\Users\enigm> Resolve-DnsName steamcache.cs.steampowered.com -server 192.168.102.150

Name                                           Type   TTL   Section    IPAddress
----                                           ----   ---   -------    ---------
steamcache.cs.steampowered.com                 A      600   Answer     192.168.102.150

Name      : cs.steampowered.com
QueryType : NS
TTL       : 600
Section   : Authority
NameHost  : ns1.cs.steampowered.com

ns1.cs.steampowered.com                        A      600   Additional 192.168.102.150

If i then go into PFsense and strip all the DNS servers (Usually use google) and just leave the IP of the steam cache container as the only DNS i can still resolve websites no problem. I even went into my modem and set the Steamcache ip as DNS and it doesnt work there either.

So i turned off Privileged and this is the error i get in the logs

Running bootstrap.sh...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
Bind9 {
Enabling cache for Blizzard
2018-11-23 22:22:31 Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted
Enabling cache for Frontier
Enabling cache for Origin
Enabling cache for Riot
Enabling cache for Steam
Enabling cache for Uplay
Enabling cache for Windows
Enabling custom DNS forwarder
bootstrap finished.
checking Bind9 config
Running Bind9 

Tried it again and nothing showing in the log its just blank...

Could this be down to IPV6? someone above had a similar problem..

or could me running a VPN be an issue? i tried turning off the VPn and it made no difference

Edited by enigma27

ok scrap all that.. seem to have got it working..

Seems i had to specify the Steamcache IP under the DHCP server as a DNS server rather than the general page... seems to be working now..

One question.. whats the best option to get max speed when installing from the cache? right now I have the steamcache on my mechanical HD shares..

2 hours ago, enigma27 said:

ok scrap all that.. seem to have got it working..

Seems i had to specify the Steamcache IP under the DHCP server as a DNS server rather than the general page... seems to be working now..

One question.. whats the best option to get max speed when installing from the cache? right now I have the steamcache on my mechanical HD shares..

Well there is really no need to put it on an SSD unless you have a 10 Gig network, HDD should be fine with a 1 gig network. Besides some game files you have unpack, so your CPU will be the bottleneck if you have the cache on a fast SSD and a 10 gig network ;) 

This is really a bandwidth saver, the speed is just a niceness thing! 

57 minutes ago, enigma27 said:

thanks.

I tested last night with a few small games and it wasnt going much faster than my internet speed

I usually get 3.7Mb/s from steam and from the cache it was only giving 4.4mb/s

I thought it would be a bit quicker.

It really should be faster, how much ram have you given it?

Could also be it doesn't hit on all the files, sometimes you have to wait a day or two so your cache has been warmed up, it sounds weird but it has happened to me :)

On 11/24/2018 at 3:00 AM, enigma27 said:

you maybe right and it may need a few days to bed in.

Not sure if it's applicable, but I've seen mine do up to 25MB/s download for an Overwatch update on the third computer from a mechanical drive.  I have noticed that one machine will "miss" them all (of course, initial download), the second machine will "miss" every 3rd or 4th GET, and the third machine will only "miss" a few and get really good speeds.  One thing I learned for sure, is that windows doesn't use the first DNS all the time, and "fall back" to the second DNS if the first isn't available, it will randomly pick them.  So, if you have anything else listed as a second or third DNS server, my bet is that you are randomly caching the GETs on the first machine so the second machine has to GET the ones the first missed.  Make sure the ONLY DNS listed for ANY device (except for unRaid, of course) is your SteamCache docker.

Edited by jzawacki
Corrected 25Mbps to 25MB/s
On 11/16/2018 at 3:05 AM, jzawacki said:

First, I want to say thank you so much for putting this docker together.  I have a super crappy internet connection and with three computers used to play Steam and Blizzard games, being able to update one machine (usually over night) and then updating the rest within minutes is so nice...

With that said,  I believe I found a potential bug that I "hacked" to get working, but if you could include an option in the configuration settings to enter the dnssec-validation option in the /etc/bind/named.conf.options file that would be awesome.  The reason I ask, is I would like to be able to use OpenDNS for my upstream dns.  The default dnssec-validation is set to auto, but when using OpenDNS, the cache server doesn't provide a response.  To help troubleshoot (or complicate things), I added a Pi-Hole server in the middle.  I could see the cache server asking Pi-Hole and it providing the IP address as the response, but the cache server never sent the IP on to the client.

By changing the "dnssec-validation no;", killing the named currently running and manually restarting it, everything is working perfect.  I get the ad blocking benefit of Pi-Hole along with the content filter of OpenDNS.

But, if I edit or restart the docker, it changes the dnssec-validation option back to auto and DNS stops working again.

Thanks,

James

@mlebjerg Have you seen this message? Something you can work on?

2 hours ago, cheesemarathon said:

@mlebjerg Have you seen this message? Something you can work on?

Have now :) 

When i add the fork awawis (on github) made, i will see if i can add something like that under the advanced tab, or at least make the file editable from appdata. I still have a lot on plate, but in january I should have more time on my hands to update the docker ;)

@jzawacki 

Edited by mlebjerg
Tagged jzawacki