[Support] cheesemarathons repo

I'm not sure about it it using RAM to speed up file transfers.. A cache stores the game files "locally" so that the game doesn't need to reach out to the internet for the files. It acts like an external hard drive essentially. I wouldn't think it to use RAM or CPU resources. Someone more knowledgeable than I can perhaps shed some light.

Just now, Masterism said:

I'm not sure about it it using RAM to speed up file transfers.. A cache stores the game files "locally" so that the game doesn't need to reach out to the internet for the files. It acts like an external hard drive essentially. I wouldn't think it to use RAM or CPU resources. Someone more knowledgeable than I can perhaps shed some light.

I appreciate the honesty. From my experience from other builds and projects it can be very CPU and RAM intensive, however it is usually the storage that is the bottleneck.

• 1 month later...

Question regarding LANCache: is there a way to use the server DNS at the router level but also allow the internet to passthrough if the server goes down? I host LAN parties fairly frequently so I don't want to have people manually setup their DNS every time they come over and then forget to reset it to automatic when they leave. I also don't want the server to go down and with it my entire internet setup.

48 minutes ago, SNDS said:

Question regarding LANCache: is there a way to use the server DNS at the router level but also allow the internet to passthrough if the server goes down? I host LAN parties fairly frequently so I don't want to have people manually setup their DNS every time they come over and then forget to reset it to automatic when they leave. I also don't want the server to go down and with it my entire internet setup.

That entirely depends on the settings your router has. Some have the ability to set multiple DNS addresses which it may fail over to, so if your server go's down, requests go to another DNS. I suggest having a google about your routers DNS settings. In short, yes it's possible with some routers

On 10/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, cheesemarathon said:

That entirely depends on the settings your router has. Some have the ability to set multiple DNS addresses which it may fail over to, so if your server go's down, requests go to another DNS. I suggest having a google about your routers DNS settings. In short, yes it's possible with some routers

To expand on this, the typical way that Routers are set up are in DHCP where they provide at least the following:

- IP adress for client machine and subnet mask

- DNS settings for client to use (most allow two DNS servers and will default to their own DNS servers or your ISP's DNS servers)

- Gateway to use to route all internet traffic

In my case, I have the router DHCP DNS settings set up to have my Pi-Hole as the first DNS server and 1.1.1.1 as the second one in case my Pi-Hole Docker is down for an update or UnRaid is down for maintenance.

This way as soon as they get a new address from DHCP, they should also pull the DNS settings I set up to what you want when they connect.

You may need to reboot your router to force them to request new addresses and not just re-use one if the DHCP lease hasn't expired yet.

(Yes I simplified some things so that it may help others searching for help as well, please feel free to correct me on anything and I will edit my post)

P.S.:  I have had Pi-Hole's DNS set to steamcache for it's primary DNS to that I could both block ads and serve cached Steam files, but I've since disabled that with a faster internet connection and speed limits on my router per client.

Good day

im new to unraid. I setup steam cache and everything is working right except windows updates.

i run the log then it show miss the first time then hit so it found it.

but it download nothing cause the file that it getsis only a fev kb's.

my guess is it dont download the update file can someone maybe help me

On 10/11/2019 at 7:10 AM, AKGeek said:

For the steamcache container, I have noticed going through the dockerhubs of the containing images and SteamCache-DNS says its only maintained for legacy purposes and then points to LANCacheNet's Docker image. Any chance for an update with the suggested docker image?

https://hub.docker.com/r/steamcache/steamcache-dns/

@mlebjerg is working on this

On 10/11/2019 at 9:47 AM, Toobie said:

Hi,

question to the bitwarden docker.

Has anybody got the email stuff working?

Like written here: https://github.com/bitwarden/server/issues/237

My Container works great but it is not sending out any emails.

I havn't tried it personally, but instructions can be found here https://github.com/dani-garcia/bitwarden_rs/wiki/SMTP-configuration

1 hour ago, ajdebeer said:

Good day

im new to unraid. I setup steam cache and everything is working right except windows updates.

i run the log then it show miss the first time then hit so it found it.

but it download nothing cause the file that it getsis only a fev kb's.

my guess is it dont download the update file can someone maybe help me

Windows updates is temperamental. Microsoft likes to changes things rather regularly. It should be fixed in the new version @mlebjerg is working on.

On 10/8/2019 at 6:06 AM, axipher said:

To expand on this, the typical way that Routers are set up are in DHCP where they provide at least the following:

- IP adress for client machine and subnet mask

- DNS settings for client to use (most allow two DNS servers and will default to their own DNS servers or your ISP's DNS servers)

- Gateway to use to route all internet traffic

In my case, I have the router DHCP DNS settings set up to have my Pi-Hole as the first DNS server and 1.1.1.1 as the second one in case my Pi-Hole Docker is down for an update or UnRaid is down for maintenance.

This way as soon as they get a new address from DHCP, they should also pull the DNS settings I set up to what you want when they connect.

You may need to reboot your router to force them to request new addresses and not just re-use one if the DHCP lease hasn't expired yet.

(Yes I simplified some things so that it may help others searching for help as well, please feel free to correct me on anything and I will edit my post)

P.S.:  I have had Pi-Hole's DNS set to steamcache for it's primary DNS to that I could both block ads and serve cached Steam files, but I've since disabled that with a faster internet connection and speed limits on my router per client.

I have my Netgear Orbi setup to use my Unraid server IP as the first 2 DNS entries and Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 as the fallback. Every time I try to resolve the DNS I get a timeout error. I've also released and renewed my IP address, etc on my Windows machine. The idea here is to use the router to act as the DNS handler so when I have house LAN events folks just need to plug into my network and it will automagically grab from the cache.

Resolve-DnsName : steamcache.cs.steampowered.com : This operation returned because the timeout period expired
At line:1 char:1
+ Resolve-DnsName steamcache.cs.steampowered.com -server 192.168.1.14
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OperationTimeout: (steamcache.cs.steampowered.com:String) [Resolve-DnsName], Win32Except
   ion
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ERROR_TIMEOUT,Microsoft.DnsClient.Commands.ResolveDnsName

Any ideas as to what to try next?

13 hours ago, SNDS said:

I have my Netgear Orbi setup to use my Unraid server IP as the first 2 DNS entries and Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 as the fallback. Every time I try to resolve the DNS I get a timeout error. I've also released and renewed my IP address, etc on my Windows machine. The idea here is to use the router to act as the DNS handler so when I have house LAN events folks just need to plug into my network and it will automagically grab from the cache.

Resolve-DnsName : steamcache.cs.steampowered.com : This operation returned because the timeout period expired
At line:1 char:1
+ Resolve-DnsName steamcache.cs.steampowered.com -server 192.168.1.14
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : OperationTimeout: (steamcache.cs.steampowered.com:String) [Resolve-DnsName], Win32Except
   ion
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ERROR_TIMEOUT,Microsoft.DnsClient.Commands.ResolveDnsName

Any ideas as to what to try next?

I haven't dealt specifically with the Orbi, but as long as the Router is configured to use the SteamCache as the Primary DNS and Cloudflare as the Secondary, it should forward everything through the SteamCache no problem.

What do you have set as SteamCache's DNS, it should be set to an external known DNS server, I've seen some setups where it gets somehow set to the Router DNS which is pointing back to the SteamCache.

Now from your output, it looks like 192.168.1.14 is what you are using for your DNS address, is this your UnRaid server or the SteamCache Docker?  If I recall when I had set on up before, SteamCache actually defaulted to getting its own IP address from your router so it wasn't the same IP as your UnRaid server.

If you are testing on a Windows box, it may be worthwhile to do a flushdns alongside a release/renew as well to make sure you clear all the cached DNS entries on your machine.

4 hours ago, axipher said:

I haven't dealt specifically with the Orbi, but as long as the Router is configured to use the SteamCache as the Primary DNS and Cloudflare as the Secondary, it should forward everything through the SteamCache no problem.

What do you have set as SteamCache's DNS, it should be set to an external known DNS server, I've seen some setups where it gets somehow set to the Router DNS which is pointing back to the SteamCache.

Now from your output, it looks like 192.168.1.14 is what you are using for your DNS address, is this your UnRaid server or the SteamCache Docker?  If I recall when I had set on up before, SteamCache actually defaulted to getting its own IP address from your router so it wasn't the same IP as your UnRaid server.

If you are testing on a Windows box, it may be worthwhile to do a flushdns alongside a release/renew as well to make sure you clear all the cached DNS entries on your machine.

The Unraid server IP is the 192.168.1.14 and that's what I put in the docker settings. I thought, based on how I read the instructions, that the IP for the container needed to be the same as the Unraid server IP. If that's not the case, then how does the SteamCache get its IP? Just by me manually setting it in the container settings for the IP? The router has the network DHCP and is what is assigning IPs to devices normally, how can I keep the router from assigning the same IP to a different device if I am setting the SteamCache IP manually in the container settings? Or is the router DHCP smart enough to know not to set an IP already granted to a device to another?

Edited by SNDS
10 hours ago, Epism said:

Trying to get steamcachebundle to work over here, it downloads fine and downloads again, and again...  Seems to do that without an issue, just fails to serve anything back.  Anyone else run into this issue?

I do have a similar issue where the cache doesn't seem to have all the IPs of all the CDNs that the game managers use. LANCache's docker seems to have a image that keeps track of all that and all they would have to do is update the image and we all get it and other images could use the same service. They also have a monolithic version which is supposed to be the primary image going forward. The unraid docker image sounds like it will be going that way as well but the author was moving a few months back and sounds like he has not had time to work on it.

There is a way to install the monolithic version and associated other docker images but I still have that issue and they are aware of it as well looking at their issue tracker.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:19 AM, SNDS said:

The Unraid server IP is the 192.168.1.14 and that's what I put in the docker settings. I thought, based on how I read the instructions, that the IP for the container needed to be the same as the Unraid server IP. If that's not the case, then how does the SteamCache get its IP? Just by me manually setting it in the container settings for the IP? The router has the network DHCP and is what is assigning IPs to devices normally, how can I keep the router from assigning the same IP to a different device if I am setting the SteamCache IP manually in the container settings? Or is the router DHCP smart enough to know not to set an IP already granted to a device to another?

This depends on how you configured docker, if you bridged the connection then you would statically assign the docker image its own IP. If you are simply 'nat'ing the connection then you would put the ip address of your Unraid server in the docker field since Unraid will pass along the traffic to the docker on the given ports.

You can keep the router from giving out a duplicate IP address either by reservations or by giving the docker image an IP address outside the usable range of your DHCP allocation. I usually start DHCP at 100-200 so I can statically assign addresses 2-99 to my devices that need it.

I'm having an issue with the BitWarden container.
Version 1.9.1-8be2ed62

Unraid Version: 6.8.0-rc 3

Regardless of what I set the port to in the template, it will keep using port 80. This makes my port forwarding tricky considering port 80 is already being used.

Any ideas?

Edited by pXius
  • 3 weeks later...

@cheesemarathon

I may have come across this issue because I was using an old version of your Bitwarden unRAID template, but just in case you don't know the mprasil docker image has been depreciated in favor of this one: https://hub.docker.com/r/bitwardenrs/server

In case you haven't you may want to update your template accordingly. Cheers. 

Edited by xthursdayx

Hey,

Nice plugin, thank you for the work you put into this! :) I keep deleting games when my computer cleaning instinct kicks in, usually it means deleting all my steam games etc, but I get bored easily and are pretty random as to what i want to play at a given time. Last month i downloaded gta5 3 times :PJust to save some time a cache would be nice, as I'm also have LANs from time to time with my friends. I could prolly stop freeing up diskspace, but hey, there's a even lazier option if i got it cached locally :)

I tried getting this to work; 

image.thumb.png.ca3c905017220ee4dd16b823fe487239.png

If i configure the steamcache ip as my dns on my gaming rig, it works downloading with steam, but dns is not working for any other sites. 

192.168.0.101 is a pihole running on a different unraid server on my LAN. Pihole then in turn uses google dns. 

Any advice ?

I though the point of defining a UPSTREAM_DNS means that all the stuff steamcache docker cannot resolve itself, it forwards the query to the upstream dns ip - which in this case is my pihole, and returns this to the client.

I see that I have some steam-dns queries from the docker ip, but as soon as i try something else it doesn't log anything. 

image.png.1a6964bc9c004f8b51d9b15e34e54dbb.png

image.png.ae6720879dd1efb477dbeab97d1a724b.png

Just wondering if the steamcache is using an odd region? I am only getting 3-4MB/sec rather than the normal 16 on the first download(to SSD). My Steam is set to Canada - Edmonton on the downloading machine. When I download for the first time through the steamcache i get:

10.3.3.171 / - - - [14/Nov/2019:15:25:49 -0700] "GET /depot/583952/chunk/6fe88c8bc485c906703424d6dc8be0f20168823b HTTP/1.1" 200 103152 "-" "Valve/Steam HTTP Client 1.0" "MISS" "cache1-sea1.steamcontent.com" "-"

So using a seattle server rather than the one I have set in steam?

Edited by anethema
14 hours ago, mgranger said:

When I use the diyHue and try to access the webui it just takes me to the unraid page.  Is there something that I am doing wrong?

It should take you to the diyhue UI. Did you set the IP variable to the same IP as your unraid machine? You need to set it to a different IP, the same as the one you should have set in the network settings as it must be on the bridge (br0) network. If the link to go to the web UI still doesn't work, then just browse to the IP you set.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:30 PM, anethema said:

Just wondering if the steamcache is using an odd region? I am only getting 3-4MB/sec rather than the normal 16 on the first download(to SSD). My Steam is set to Canada - Edmonton on the downloading machine. When I download for the first time through the steamcache i get:

10.3.3.171 / - - - [14/Nov/2019:15:25:49 -0700] "GET /depot/583952/chunk/6fe88c8bc485c906703424d6dc8be0f20168823b HTTP/1.1" 200 103152 "-" "Valve/Steam HTTP Client 1.0" "MISS" "cache1-sea1.steamcontent.com" "-"

So using a seattle server rather than the one I have set in steam?

Steamcache doesn't modify your DNS requests in anyway so to speak. If the file is not found in the cache, the it just passes the request on to the domain the original request was for, no changes made. So for some reason, Steam has requested this file from Seattle rather than Edmonton.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, Abnorm said:

Hey,

Nice plugin, thank you for the work you put into this! :) I keep deleting games when my computer cleaning instinct kicks in, usually it means deleting all my steam games etc, but I get bored easily and are pretty random as to what i want to play at a given time. Last month i downloaded gta5 3 times :PJust to save some time a cache would be nice, as I'm also have LANs from time to time with my friends. I could prolly stop freeing up diskspace, but hey, there's a even lazier option if i got it cached locally :)

I tried getting this to work; 

image.thumb.png.ca3c905017220ee4dd16b823fe487239.png

If i configure the steamcache ip as my dns on my gaming rig, it works downloading with steam, but dns is not working for any other sites. 

192.168.0.101 is a pihole running on a different unraid server on my LAN. Pihole then in turn uses google dns. 

Any advice ?

I though the point of defining a UPSTREAM_DNS means that all the stuff steamcache docker cannot resolve itself, it forwards the query to the upstream dns ip - which in this case is my pihole, and returns this to the client.

I see that I have some steam-dns queries from the docker ip, but as soon as i try something else it doesn't log anything. 

image.png.1a6964bc9c004f8b51d9b15e34e54dbb.png

image.png.ae6720879dd1efb477dbeab97d1a724b.png

I have not tried passing queries onto something like pi-hole after the cache. In theory it should work, but it looks like that may not be the case. @mlebjerg is the best person to debug this. However, just try setting it to a public DNS such as 1.1.1.1, just to make sure everything else is working.