Jump to content
cheesemarathon

[Support] cheesemarathons repo

452 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Enabling cache for Frontier
Enabling cache for Origin
Enabling cache for Riot
Enabling cache for Steam
Enabling cache for Uplay
Enabling cache for Windows
Enabling custom DNS forwarder
bootstrap finished.
checking Bind9 config
Running Bind9
Running bootstrap.sh...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
Bind9 {
Enabling cache for Blizzard
2019-02-18 15:13:36 Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted

Enabling cache for Frontier
Enabling cache for Origin
Enabling cache for Riot
Enabling cache for Steam
Enabling cache for Uplay
Enabling cache for Windows
Enabling custom DNS forwarder
bootstrap finished.
checking Bind9 config
Running Bind9

Just wondering, is the "2019-02-18 15:13:36 Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted" error normal? Everything from origin seems to be caching properly, but on steam nothings being cached.

 

Thanks,
Karl

Share this post


Link to post

Hi guys, i have some problems installing the Steamcache. Everytime i want to install the file it works but then when i look inside the bootstrap.sh i see this failure is bouncing [emerg] 100#100: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use).

 

For me it looks like my nginx Sever is rejecting something. 

Edited by cogliostro

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, cogliostro said:

Hi guys, i have some problems installing the Steamcache. Everytime i want to install the file it works but then when i look inside the bootstrap.sh i see this failure is bouncing [emerg] 100#100: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use).

 

For me it looks like my nginx Sever is rejecting something. 

This should be an easy fix. By default the unraid UI is on port 80 but steamcache must run on port 80. To fix this, stop steamcache, then in unraid settings change the port to 85 (any port not in use will work). Then restart steamcache and you should be all good. I cant remember exactly where in the settings the port number setting is but I'm sure you'll find it 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cheesemarathon said:

This should be an easy fix. By default the unraid UI is on port 80 but steamcache must run on port 80. To fix this, stop steamcache, then in unraid settings change the port to 85 (any port not in use will work). Then restart steamcache and you should be all good. I cant remember exactly where in the settings the port number setting is but I'm sure you'll find it 

Thank you for your help i try'd it now but i'm gettin these message. 2019-02-23 19:32:45 [::ffff:10.0.0.206]:58442 -> [::]:443 -> NONE [] 0/0 bytes tx 0/0 bytes rx 0.006 seconds

 

Do i have to change port 443 also ?

 

When i look in the bootstrap.sh i see this error msg.

 

nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
2019/02/23 19:48:04 [emerg] 105#105: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:48:04 [emerg] 105#105: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:48:04 [emerg] 105#105: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:48:04 [emerg] 105#105: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:48:04 [emerg] 105#105: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:48:04 [emerg] 105#105: still could not bind()
nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()

 

Thanks for your support

Edited by cogliostro

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, cogliostro said:

Thank you for your help i try'd it now but i'm gettin these message. 2019-02-23 19:32:45 [::ffff:10.0.0.206]:58442 -> [::]:443 -> NONE [] 0/0 bytes tx 0/0 bytes rx 0.006 seconds

 

Do i have to change port 443 also ?

 

Thanks for your support

I don't think it binds unless you use https for your unraid UI but I changed mine to be on the safe side 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/22/2019 at 1:42 PM, karlpox said:

Enabling cache for Frontier
Enabling cache for Origin
Enabling cache for Riot
Enabling cache for Steam
Enabling cache for Uplay
Enabling cache for Windows
Enabling custom DNS forwarder
bootstrap finished.
checking Bind9 config
Running Bind9
Running bootstrap.sh...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
Bind9 {
Enabling cache for Blizzard
2019-02-18 15:13:36 Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted

Enabling cache for Frontier
Enabling cache for Origin
Enabling cache for Riot
Enabling cache for Steam
Enabling cache for Uplay
Enabling cache for Windows
Enabling custom DNS forwarder
bootstrap finished.
checking Bind9 config
Running Bind9

Just wondering, is the "2019-02-18 15:13:36 Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted" error normal? Everything from origin seems to be caching properly, but on steam nothings being cached.

 

Thanks,
Karl

@mlebjerg a question best answered by you I think

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, cheesemarathon said:

I don't think it binds unless you use https for your unraid UI but I changed mine to be on the safe side 

I changed now booth ports. Still no chance to get it work

 

Still recieving this 

 

/scripts # ./bootstrap.sh
Running bootstrap.sh...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: still could not bind()
nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()
/scripts #
 

Testing with Steam and Battle.net

 

Also when i look in the docker exec -it SteamCacheBundle tail -f /data/logs/access.log 

 

I see lots of "Miss" but none of it comes from Steam or Battle.net


By the way. Running pfsense on my router

 

EDIT: Now i found a solution for my case, you should not add an Second DNS Server to your lokal PC

Edited by cogliostro

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, i'm having some issues caching steam games.

I live in Portugal and my steam download location setting defaults to "Spain and Portugal". When it's in this setting caching seems to be almost non functional, I get mostly "MISSED" on the docker log and even Steam connects to the external IP on the content_log sometimes (155.133.246.10 thru .13). 

However if i change location to something like France or UK, caching seems to work mostly fine, however download speed the first time around is simply awful, dropping from 15-16MB/s to 1-2MB/s. Is there anything i can do so i can both keep the location in Spain and Portugal and get caching working?

Share this post


Link to post

Hi guys!

 

Before anything thanks for this docker! Great stuff!

 

Just one question not sure I did something wrong.

 

I'm trying to download a small game for testing and caching does seem to be working.

 

Only problem is from 2GB game it only seems to cache 300/400MB each time.

 

That means I have to download the game 5/6 times and that doesn't seem normal to me.

 

Any ideas of what might be happening?

 

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having a problem with the steamchachebundle docker - it worked fine initially and I'm about 500gb of cached games in now. However my download speeds for new games got super slow today around 100-500 KB/s on Steam (without SteamCache I'm hitting the full 5MB/s of my internet connection)

 

I've tried adding a second IP to LANCACHE_IP like it's suggested here: https://github.com/steamcache/steamcache-dns/pull/69

This helps with my downloads speeds however it doesn't save the files to the cache as far as I can see it in the log. Does anybody else have this problem?

 

The docker cpu usage is about 0,1-1% (it's a ryzen 1400) and ram is about 60-70 MB with a limit of 1 GB - so no bottlenecking there; the disks also shouldn't be a bottleneck

 

I've also played around with different Steam Server locations but this didn't change much in speeds.

 

EDIT: I've just tested origin and it seems to be unaffected - just steam is having that issue so far

Edited by nikezzz

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/23/2019 at 6:55 PM, cogliostro said:

I changed now booth ports. Still no chance to get it work

 

Still recieving this 

 

/scripts # ./bootstrap.sh
Running bootstrap.sh...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
nginx: [emerg] bind() to 0.0.0.0:80 failed (98: Address in use)
2019/02/23 19:55:33 [emerg] 110#110: still could not bind()
nginx: [emerg] still could not bind()
/scripts #
 

Testing with Steam and Battle.net

 

Also when i look in the docker exec -it SteamCacheBundle tail -f /data/logs/access.log 

 

I see lots of "Miss" but none of it comes from Steam or Battle.net


By the way. Running pfsense on my router

 

EDIT: Now i found a solution for my case, you should not add an Second DNS Server to your lokal PC

Ah yes! Windows is funny like that. You think it would only use the second server if the first failed, but no, it will pick one randomly!

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/23/2019 at 11:19 PM, asgarder said:

Hi, i'm having some issues caching steam games.

I live in Portugal and my steam download location setting defaults to "Spain and Portugal". When it's in this setting caching seems to be almost non functional, I get mostly "MISSED" on the docker log and even Steam connects to the external IP on the content_log sometimes (155.133.246.10 thru .13). 

However if i change location to something like France or UK, caching seems to work mostly fine, however download speed the first time around is simply awful, dropping from 15-16MB/s to 1-2MB/s. Is there anything i can do so i can both keep the location in Spain and Portugal and get caching working?

If it's the first time you have downloaded a game through the cache then "MISS" is correct. "MISS" just means it was unable to download the file from the cache, so will get it from the steam servers instead. When the download is complete and you reinstalled the game, you would get mostly "HIT" in the logs, as the files can now be found in the cache.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Platanos said:

Hi guys!

 

Before anything thanks for this docker! Great stuff!

 

Just one question not sure I did something wrong.

 

I'm trying to download a small game for testing and caching does seem to be working.

 

Only problem is from 2GB game it only seems to cache 300/400MB each time.

 

That means I have to download the game 5/6 times and that doesn't seem normal to me.

 

Any ideas of what might be happening?

 

Thanks in advance!

Yes, this is a bit of a bug, it may take several downloads to fully cache some games. @mlebjerg is currently working on moving the container over to a completely new caching system which should fix this.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, nikezzz said:

I'm having a problem with the steamchachebundle docker - it worked fine initially and I'm about 500gb of cached games in now. However my download speeds for new games got super slow today around 100-500 KB/s on Steam (without SteamCache I'm hitting the full 5MB/s of my internet connection)

 

I've tried adding a second IP to LANCACHE_IP like it's suggested here: https://github.com/steamcache/steamcache-dns/pull/69

This helps with my downloads speeds however it doesn't save the files to the cache as far as I can see it in the log. Does anybody else have this problem?

 

The docker cpu usage is about 0,1-1% (it's a ryzen 1400) and ram is about 60-70 MB with a limit of 1 GB - so no bottlenecking there; the disks also shouldn't be a bottleneck

 

I've also played around with different Steam Server locations but this didn't change much in speeds.

 

EDIT: I've just tested origin and it seems to be unaffected - just steam is having that issue so far

Hmm, that is strange! You have looked at all the bottlenecks that I would have suggested. And the fact it is just steam makes it even more strange. Perhaps @mlebjerg can help. He is also working on moving the container over to a new caching system which should perform better all around so it may be a case of waiting for that.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, cheesemarathon said:

If it's the first time you have downloaded a game through the cache then "MISS" is correct. "MISS" just means it was unable to download the file from the cache, so will get it from the steam servers instead. When the download is complete and you reinstalled the game, you would get mostly "HIT" in the logs, as the files can now be found in the cache.

I explained myself wrong, i still get mostly "MISS" even after downloading and uninstalling the game some 10 times with the "Spain and Portugal" setting, however i get mostly "HIT" after i've downloaded the game and uninstalled once with "France" or "UK".

Share this post


Link to post

After some testing and reading I think I’ve found the problem. This is also mentioned somewhere in the steamcache github: It’s not recommended to use the same cache location for different game services (like steam or origin) with the generic image as this is bad for performance when the files collide in the cache. So after some downloads (in my case around 500gb from steam and origin) the files may have been colliding and the caching server got very slow.

 

But as @cheesemarathon already mentioned this should be fixed in the monolithic image as this one is built with nginx and meant for caching different services.

So @mlebjerg if you need somebody for testing I would be happy to help :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2019 at 11:14 PM, asgarder said:

I explained myself wrong, i still get mostly "MISS" even after downloading and uninstalling the game some 10 times with the "Spain and Portugal" setting, however i get mostly "HIT" after i've downloaded the game and uninstalled once with "France" or "UK".

Ah, apologies. That is a very strange behavior! I'd suggest waiting for the monolithic image @mlebjerg is building. Hopefully, this will fix a lot of issues. If it still persists we will look at it again. Sorry for the issues in the meantime.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi,

I have a seperate port/subnet for my 10 gig network. Is there some way to have the cache server work on both ports/subnets? Can I run another instance of the server for the 10 gig network? It does not have internet access, it is a direct connection between the PC and the server. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post

Im getting this issue showing in the docker logs.

 

Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted.

 

i did find that windows update stopped working, I had to disable it so my machines could update.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, nikezzz said:

After some testing and reading I think I’ve found the problem. This is also mentioned somewhere in the steamcache github: It’s not recommended to use the same cache location for different game services (like steam or origin) with the generic image as this is bad for performance when the files collide in the cache. So after some downloads (in my case around 500gb from steam and origin) the files may have been colliding and the caching server got very slow.

 

But as @cheesemarathon already mentioned this should be fixed in the monolithic image as this one is built with nginx and meant for caching different services.

So @mlebjerg if you need somebody for testing I would be happy to help :)

Thanks, i will write you if i need testing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 8:28 AM, eric_x said:

Hi,

I have a seperate port/subnet for my 10 gig network. Is there some way to have the cache server work on both ports/subnets? Can I run another instance of the server for the 10 gig network? It does not have internet access, it is a direct connection between the PC and the server. Thanks

 

I unfortunately it has to be connected to the internet, Steam Cache works by acting as a DNS and when you are downloading it sees you are contacting steam, and asking for a package it then checks to see if it has it already. If it has: HIT, you get it locally. If it doesn't: MISS, you get it from the internet. If you are the only one on the network steamcache is not a good solution, only if you have a few Gamers on the network.

 

Hope that answered you question :)

Edited by mlebjerg
-forgot to add bottom part

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Im getting this issue showing in the docker logs.

 

Failed to set file handle limit: Operation not permitted.

 

i did find that windows update stopped working, I had to disable it so my machines could update.

 

 

Hi, i had this when i made the container, worked for me to uninstall and reinstall :)

Hope it helps!

Edited by mlebjerg
grammar

Share this post


Link to post

I have two questions.

 

First I am unable to confirm if the SteamCacheBundle is working on UnRaid. I followed this guide https://squishedmooo.com/the-new-and-easier-all-in-one-steamcache/. When I ssh into my server and run the logs with "docker exec -it SteamCacheBundle tail -f /data/logs/access.log" nothing happens in the terminal. What can I do to confirm that the files are actually being cached correctly?

 

Second, is there a way to add IP's to the docker template to open up steams throughput as described here https://github.com/steamcache/monolithic under "Tuning your cache".

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.