External HDD expansion for HP MicroServer G8

page3

I've done a lot of searching both here and elsewhere, but seem to be getting confused as to what will work, and if the whole idea is a good one or not.

My HP Microserver is full (4 x HDD and 1 x SSD for cache).

I'd like to add a 4 bay (or even 2 bay) external drive box.

It appears that in the past SATA (plus using a port multiplier aware port) was the way to go, but I understand UnRAID 6.2 supports USB3.

There are a load of cheap boxes available here in the UK, such as the IcyBox that appear to do the job. Some examples are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icybox-IB-3664SU3-External-Enclosure-3-5-Inch/dp/B013J7ZRMQ/ref=sr_1_1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornettek-Enterprise-Quad-Hard-Drive/dp/B00CYFM520/ref=pd_sbs_147_1

Can anyone clarify if they work, and if there is a particular recommendation? As the Microserver is a budget box, I'm not looking to spend thousands to extend it.

I would be really (really!) grateful for some help  :)

• Like 1

The problem with the two boxes you mention (apart from the Hornettek one being as ugly as sin!) is that their eSATA interfaces only run at 3 Gb/s. Not a problem for normal read/write operations but I didn't like the idea of sharing that between four hard disks during parity checks. The ICYCube is the only box I could find that met all my requirements. I have two 6 TB parity disks and two 6 TB data disks in my Microserver and four more 6 TB data disks in the ICYCube. Parity checks give consistent average speed of 120 MB/s, which I find extremely acceptable.

Another thread concerning the HP Microserver Gen 8 you might like to read.

The problem with the two boxes you mention (apart from the Hornettek one being as ugly as sin!) is that their eSATA interfaces only run at 3 Gb/s. Not a problem for normal read/write operations but I didn't like the idea of sharing that between four hard disks during parity checks. The ICYCube is the only box I could find that met all my requirements. I have two 6 TB parity disks and two 6 TB data disks in my Microserver and four more 6 TB data disks in the ICYCube. Parity checks give consistent average speed of 120 MB/s, which I find extremely acceptable.

Another thread concerning the HP Microserver Gen 8 you might like to read.

Thanks.

I did come across your threads, but it seems I need to read them again. The ICYCube is very expensive in the UK (twice the price of the Microserver!) so I initially discounted it. However, by the time I've got a new microserver+unraid licence+Usb stick+parity drive+RAM+uprated processor it probably isn't such an expense!

Really appreciate you taking to time to respond :)

And another thing you might consider which is a lot simpler is simply replacing your existing disks with larger disks. unRAID will rebuild smaller disks to larger disks easily.

Yes, this is clearly the simplest and most cost effective solution. Can't help but feel I'm wasting not using those old drives though. This got be thinking I'd add a new server, which got me thinking I'd add external storage, which got me in to this in the first place! Hmmm.

Sorry John_M a question - the eSATA card you have is out of stock. Is there something special about the Marvell 88SE9235 chipset or would https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-Internal-External-Profile-Brackets/dp/B00AZ9T4F8 do the job? I was originally thinking of this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/StarTech-Port-SATA-Gbps-Express-eSATA-Controller/B003GSGMPU (or their version with additional internal ports) as I'd read somewhere it worked well in the Microserver. Chipset isn't mentioned though.

And another thing you might consider which is a lot simpler is simply replacing your existing disks with larger disks. unRAID will rebuild smaller disks to larger disks easily.

Yes, this is clearly the simplest and most cost effective solution. Can't help but feel I'm wasting not using those old drives though. This got be thinking I'd add a new server, which got me thinking I'd add external storage, which got me in to this in the first place! Hmmm.

I use my older smaller disks as offsite backups. They're eventually going to be too old anyway so its not like they are going to be "wasted" forever.

The 9235 supports two PCIe lanes. I chose it because I have SSDs attached to the two internal ports (to make my cache pool) and I use one external port to connect the ICYCube. The Gen 8 has a x16 slot so I chose the card with the greater bandwidth. If you're not using the internal ports then a x1 card will probably suffice. In one of those threads someone objects to the Marvell chip and I suggest an alternative ASM1061-based eSATA card. I'm using the stock Celeron G1610T processor and I run only two Dockers and no VMs and the Marvell works fine for me. If you plan to upgrade your CPU to a Xeon (good luck in your search for one, BTW - they are scarce and over-priced these days) you might want VT-d, in which case go for the ASM-based card.

I paid £165 for my ICYCube. I got it from scan.co.uk. I don't think Amazon is the cheapest. Try CCL, Novatech, etc. I agree it's expensive, when compared with the Gen 8, but when compared with the disks I've put in it it's cheap!

EDIT: Confirming that the StarTech eSATA card also used a Marvell chip.

Another option is to use another Gen 8 as an "overflow" server, given that they are so cheap. Fill it up with 10 TB IronWolfs, a Basic unRAID licence and use it as a simple NAS, NFS-mounted onto your main box. The basic Celeron and 4 GB RAM would be fine for the purpose. 30 TB of instant storage in a very small box! The only downside is that you'd have two parity disks, each protecting three data disks in single parity mode. I'd rather have two parity disks protecting six data disks in dual parity mode.

At the time I added my expansion 6 TB was the largest capacity disk I was prepared to use. The only ones with larger capacity available were the eye-wateringly expensive 8 TB HGST Helioseal and the extrmely reasonably proced 8 TB Seagate Archive. I was prepared to use the latter for data disks but not for parity. A year later there's much more choice.

The eSATA option really does work though and the Gen 8 is a solid, reliable box. I have a Blu-Ray drive in the optical bay, connected to the fifth SATA port, and use it for ripping my collection of DVDs and Blu-Ray discs using the MakeMKV docker. I'd like to use it to rip my CD collection too - if only there was a docker that ripped CDs and FLAC-encoded them.

I haven't found a downside to the ICYCube. It's solidly made, neat and compact. I like the internal power supply and the fact that the fan can be easily replaced. The disk trays are a little stiff to eject but they make solid contact and lock firmly in place. The tiny pin-prick activity LEDs are almost useless, but if you really need to see them you just about can. There is a USB 3 option but I haven't tried it. I'm a little wary of the eSATA cable - like internal SATA the connectors are flimsy and the cable is stiff - but kept out of the way where it can't be disturbed it has been perfectly reliable. I keep a look out for a shorter (0.5 metre would be ideal) and more flexible cable than the one provided and if I see one I'll buy it.

Thanks again for you detailed replies. It really has helped enormously in deciding what to do, and how to do it!

By the way, I notice the IcyCube has been replaced with a new version (MB561U3S-4S R1 as opposed to MB561U3S-4S). The only difference I can see is that the new one has an external power brick, while the original is internal. I prefer the original!

Unfortunately it seems in short supply. Only places are amazon and CPC. Amazon has both version in stock. Same price.

Also, meant to say - I upgraded my Microserver with an Intel i3 3240T (2.90GHz) which I found cheap. You're right Xeon's were really pricey and while this only gives a small performance bump it is noticeable and was an easy swap.

I hadn't noticed the new model. It looks exactly the same as mine from the front - the internal PSU is behind the grille below the drive bays. Mine has a standard IEC C14 mains connector on the back, though. I suppose it's cheaper for Icy Dock to use a standard Chinese power brick and it's easier to replace if it fails but, on balance, I prefer the internal power supply.

Sorry John_M a question - the eSATA card you have is out of stock. Is there something special about the Marvell 88SE9235 chipset or would https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-Internal-External-Profile-Brackets/dp/B00AZ9T4F8 do the job? I was originally thinking of this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/StarTech-Port-SATA-Gbps-Express-eSATA-Controller/B003GSGMPU (or their version with additional internal ports) as I'd read somewhere it worked well in the Microserver. Chipset isn't mentioned though.

As John_M has pointed out, the Startech card you referenced is only PCIe x1 (a single lane). The important ramification is that you will not be able to get the full bandwidth potential of that IcyCube's SataIII (6Gbps) connection. Instead of the 500-525 MB/s that John_M gets with his 9235-based card, the referenced card (9128-based) will only get 350-375 MB/s.

The Syba card (9215-based) you reference is also x1 with the same limitation.

You might want to consider the alternate Syba card [9230-based] (with AmazonUK ASIN B00AZ9T264). True, it doesn't have eSata connections, BUT a Sata-to-eSata cable will solve that if the G8 has any way to accomodate it. On the G7, it can be wedged out of the (even occupied) PCIe rear panel opening.

According to the Marvell data sheet [http://www.marvell.com/storage/system-solutions/assets/Marvell-88SE92xx-002-product-brief.pdf] , the 88se9230 is actually a superset of the 9235, adding HyperDuo & hardware RAID [neither of which are probably of any benefit to you presently].

(Hope this msg isn't "too late")

-- UhClem

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I bought the Startech PCIe eSata Multiplier

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/StarTech-Port-SATA-Gbps-Express-eSATA-Controller/B003GSGMPU

and to expand my HDD array I have also added this box :

https://www.amazon.fr/QB-35US3-6G-Boîtier-disques-externes-ventilateur/dp/B00ORENYJE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1538598733&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fantec&psc=1

I'm facing an issue that the eSata seems to be not recognized by the HDD box and the led is activated for the USB3.0.

Is there any manipulation to do on the bios to get the eSata enabled on the server? For information, I have updated the bios firmware on the latest one from HPE. I saw that with N40L and N54L there are a MOD bios to activate hot swap for eSata ports https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/4727-successfully-enabled-port-multiplier-on-esata/

Could you help please?

1 hour ago, Slamer said:

Is there any manipulation to do on the bios to get the eSata enabled on the server?

If you're using an addon controller no need to change any setting on the bios, post your diagnostics with the esata controller connected to the external enclosure, maybe something there, though eSATA with port multipliers are not recommended for performance and possible issues, but the disks should be detected.

• 4 weeks later...