How do i mount SMB shared into my plex docker?

DW_Michi

Hello first :)

i'm sure this topic already has been addressed but i don't know to work it out. I have a Synlogy NAS with all my media files on it and want it to use it inside unraid with the docker module of plex.

Is there someway to map my media to plex?

All i found about this topic is this:

Ok, so shutdown docker, install Unassigned Devices plugin, connect to share, start docker, then map locations in docker plex. Works great!

So i did this:

• Disables the functionality to use docker
  • Installed unassigned devices
  • Added the share by inserting the ip of my nas, the username and pw used by my nas-admin-account and the destination of my nas-share(\\SYNOLOGYNAS\Plex Media)
  • Afterwards the mounting point looked like this under the tab smb-shares: /mnt/disks/192.168.178.25_SYNOLOGYNASPlex_Media)
  • Mounting this share by pressing the "mount"-button couldn't be performed.

Question:

Is mounting the share by pressing "mount" necassary?(see pic 1)

How do i connect the share to the docker?

And if yes: Do i need to perform this inside the plex webinterface?

Or is it need to be done inside the docker by inserting the mountingpoint into the AppData Config Path?(see pic 2)

Already thanks in advance. Pl help a noob develope himself ;)

1.PNG.f35ca8c33353229b202f91b230f4f442.PNG

2.PNG.97ff8f93751e38afddfeb6ea03f8de01.PNG

If the share won't mount in unassigned devices when you click the mount button, then the docker can't use it either because the login, pw, or the path is wrong.

also, the path looks funny to me. I have all my media on a synology and it maps it by /mnt/disks/SynologyNasName/folder

if your synology is in the same "workgroup" then search for servers in the workgroup instead of using the ip, and select from the toggle/dropdown. then ensure your name/pw are correctly entered. once the window closes, if you've done it correctly, clicking mount will mount it, which you can then use the path and add it to plex by clicking "add another path".

once that is set, open plex, add library, find the path in there.

---edit to add image of what the screen looks like when you add the mounted smb connection in plex docker settings

you can set it to auto mount the smb connection in unassigned devices in the future if you have to reboot your server.

Screen_Shot_2017-01-27_at_7_47.19_PM.png.bed0bbda9ee3f159db1c85e1df5aa4eb.png

Thx for your fast reply :)

i tried to but i think the problem is then i click load shares the dropdownlist is empty.(3)

So i made something wrong in terms of configuring my synology...

On my nas smb and nfs is activated and gave the synology-user i used as a user in (3) read and write persissions for the folder which should be shared.

Furthermore i changed under the menue nfs-permissions/edit nfs-rules the hostname/ip-address to my unraid server and allowed the access to subfolders(4). Everything else is on default.

3.PNG.9f9dce4ac1a1d1993fe41d0538bfae88.PNG

4.PNG.4c12aeab495ecd4c3d04f56fdad9bb8e.PNG

did you click "load shares" after entering your credential?

Let's assume you did. that means something is setup incorrectly on your synology.

I don't use admin to acces my synology for videos. As a safety precaution, you should use something else.

On your Synology, create a new user, ( I use "video") then only give that user permission to read or read/write where the folder(s) that your videos are stored in. (I only allow read access since plex doesn't need to write, and I don't want to accidentally delete a video using plex.)

then double check that works by using your computer to mount the files on the network via smb or nfs (whichever you have setup) in network discover or whatever you use to dig around your network.  once you know that works, then go back to your unRaid server and enter those credentials, click load shares, and your video folder(s) will be there. If your videos are in more than 1 overall source location, then each one will have to be added to the plex container settings.

yes i did

now i created a new user which has read permissions for my specific nas-folder, but when i choose smb, click on "search for servers in my workgroup", choose the correct server, entering my pw & username and still nothings shows up in the list.

do you use smb or nfs to access your nas?

okay i tried to use smb but it didn't worked out for me...

so i tried nfs again and now it worked mounting my synology nas ;D

but now i struggle to mount the path to the official limetech plex docker :-[

as i understood i only need to download it and add a path pointing towards my mounted share

Unbenannt.PNG.ca3d7eb8aafd317a42067585f892146d.PNG

All volumes for docker containers require two things, the path to the unRaid folder, and the path within the container.  Its the container path that Plex actually accesses.

As an example, you've got Plex's appdata as /mnt/user/appdata/Plex and a container path of /config

If you explore within the container, you will see the contents of /mnt/user/appdata/Plex stored within Plex at /config

Same thing with your media.  Once you add the path of /media, you will see the contents of that disk at /media

• Like 1

So effectivly i can name my container path the way i want?

So i can implement the link of my docker to my network-share this way(8)?

container path: name how the host path lights up inside the docker

host path: actual path in unraid (in this example it's the mount point of my network share)

access mode: changed to a slave mode (RO because read only)

Is this implementation correct? In plex the folder hello is still empty despite i moved movie-files in there.

8.PNG.4e667659f44d973083d0d033db000a9e.PNG

UD can sometimes have trouble finding shares depending on the master browser on the network.  I recommend setting unRAID as the master browser in the SMB Settings so UD has a better chance of finding shares on the network.  If you set up vlans on unRAID you must set it as the master browser or you will have problems on the vlans finding servers and shares.