Hardware recommendations for unRAID servers with VM's

RobJ

1 hour ago, bastl said:

@RJ59 Put the following in the "go" file on your Unraid USB flash stick under config and reboot your server

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/zenstates --c6-disable
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

It looks like this solution is working. I keep my fingers crossed and will wait for 24 hours if it lasts.

Thank you very much!

• 3 months later...

Is there any USB PCIe x1 card that have multiple usb controllers ? So that I can add one card but passthrough two groups of usb slots to two different VM's ?

I have only found the Sonnet "Allegro Pro USB 3.0" that have multiple controllers and works in unraid. But it is PCIe x4 

Edited by Cliff
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 9:28 PM, CHBMB said:

USB Card roundup for Windows 10 and High Sierra Virtual Machine Use

1st Card - AUKEY 4 Ports PCI-E To USB 3.0 Expansion Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

2nd Card - Anker Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

3rd Card - Sienoc USB3.0 7Port PCI Express Card

Chipset: - Renesas D720201

Findings: Worked natively in Linux or passed through to Windows, but not detected by OSX VM

4th Card - Inateck KTU3FR-5O2I

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.

5th Card - ORICO USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Card (PME-4U)

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.  I ordered this one to try and exclude the possibility it was an inherent Inateck fault, but after testing this one, I think we can conclude there is an issue with the FL1100 chipset and Supermicro boards.

6th Card - KALEA-INFORMATIQUE Controller Card PCI Express (PCI-E) to 3.1 USB

Chipset: Asmedia ASM1142

Findings:  Success!!  Works in Windows 10, works in OSX natively both, without installing extra drivers, allows my server to powerdown and stay down.

Other possibilities:  Well I'm running out of chipsets to try, only thing I could consider is an expensive Sonnet card which uses the Fresco FL1100 chipset but had four controllers on the card which can in theory be split amongst VMs so one controller to each VM.  I don't hold out much hope this will actually work well given it's got four of the damned chips that won't let me powerdown in the first place. :o

One other thing I did try was using the Renesas based chipset to boot from and passed through my native USB ports, that didn't work well.  Not sure why, but I might investigate that a bit more if I have no other options.

Conclusion

If youi've got a Supermicro motherboard, then Asmedia ASM1142 based USB cards are the way to go, for any other motherboard, then either the Asmedia ASM1142 chipset or the more common Fresco Logic FL1100 based cards would be fine, but if you notice that you have issues with powering down, the card may well be the culprit and try an Asmedia card instead.

It's been..... emotional

Thank you very much for the valuable information. I plan to set up a MAC and Windows VMs on my unraid server and this is very valuable.

I plan to get x570 aorus master mother board and use Asmedia ASM1142 usb card since it seems to have the least amount of problems.

However the listing you linked doesn't have international shipping, but this one does and it uses the same chipset. Do you think it would work similar to the kamelar controller card since it uses the same chipset?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIIG-USB-3-1-2-Port-PCIe-3-0-Host-Adapter-1x-Type-A-10Gb-s-JU-P20B12-S1/132839040135?epid=1840656469&hash=item1eedd2e487:g:aZAAAOSwVRBb2Phx

Thanks for advance.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

ASUS X299-E II
Excellent IOMMU groups, everything except the sound is in a separate group. 3 x USB controllers passed through to 3 separate VM's without problem.

ASUS 2080ti Advanced Dual
ASUS 2070 Super Dual

Both passed through with multifunction='on' without problem

Sonnet Alegro USB 3
Renesass 
  USB 3

Gave up on these cards. Detected in Unraid, but code 10 when passed through to windows 10 VM

Edimax Bluetooth 5.0 Dongle

Got code 43. Resolved by unplugging all other usb devices and installed driver from manufacturers website. Works fine

Creative Sound Blaster X3

Works passed through and natively 

On 5/21/2022 at 3:47 PM, PeteyBoPetey said:

Sonnet Alegro USB 3
Renesass 
  USB 3

Gave up on these cards. Detected in Unraid, but code 10 when passed through to windows 10 VM

you may try the solution from

it sounds like the same issure regarding an usb device having error code 10, which was resolved in this thread