speed drops during middle of copy

chuga

Hi,

I quite often have an issue where my speed drops significantly during the middle of copying a file to my unraid server.

I use a cache SSD drive - and it is enabled for the drives I am using.  I also check after and see that the files are on the cache drive so it is copying to the ssd cache (and it is not full).  (all computers hard wired / cate5e, no wireless).

speeds typically start out at 112MB/sec and sometimes stay steady at that rate for the whole file - other times it drops to ~21MB/sec (see attached screen shot).

I also run the SSD trim plugin and have it set to run daily.

any ideas on what it could be, or how to troubleshoot this?

thanks

unraid_speed_drop.PNG.23624bfcec72468c4a0d6b57ed53d416.PNG

Hi,

I quite often have an issue where my speed drops significantly during the middle of copying a file to my unraid server.

I use a cache SSD drive - and it is enabled for the drives I am using.  I also check after and see that the files are on the cache drive so it is copying to the ssd cache (and it is not full).  (all computers hard wired / cate5e, no wireless).

speeds typically start out at 112MB/sec and sometimes stay steady at that rate for the whole file - other times it drops to ~21MB/sec (see attached screen shot).

I also run the SSD trim plugin and have it set to run daily.

any ideas on what it could be, or how to troubleshoot this?

thanks

Are you sure its winding up on the cache?  Those figures sound like unRaid is caching it in RAM and then when that's full dumping it to the array disks.

is it a cheap ssd? those often start off fast on transfers and then die off down to spinning disk speed or worse. (first hand experience with a couple)

Would you care to name them so that others are forewarned? I don't know which SSDs are good and which are not so good.

Reviews on Anandtech are a good place to start...

is it a cheap ssd? those often start off fast on transfers and then die off down to spinning disk speed or worse. (first hand experience with a couple)

Would you care to name them so that others are forewarned? I don't know which SSDs are good and which are not so good.

+1

Also avoid any planar tlc ssd.

As for the OP's problem log looks good, trim is working, still looks like an SSD issue, make sure you're using the latest firmware, this model had a speed problem, although it affected mostly read speed.

+1

Also avoid any planar tlc ssd.

As for the OP's problem log looks good, trim is working, still looks like an SSD issue, make sure you're using the latest firmware, this model had a speed problem, although it affected mostly read speed.

Hi - never tried updating firmware on a drive in the unraid server.  Do I have to pull the SSD and put it into my windows PC to update the firmware?  or is there a way to do from linux?

thanks

cheap SSD drives i've used personally in unRaid and other platforms that had horrible sustained write speeds (meaning initial writes  at sub 200MB/s and dropping to 80MB or less):

Kingston SSD Now series

PNY CS1311

Patriot Blast/Blaze

read speeds are usually "ok" but none perform like my samsung 840 or 850 drives, but they are also 1/2 the price or less...