Unraid and HP controller

dstark4

Hello All,

I recently picked up a cheap hp dl360 g6 at an auction to use with unraid as a storage box. Long story short I was unaware that it had an integrated RAID controller (410i), and this does not have a JBOD option. I have set each drive as raid 0 hoping that I could get unraid to see the drives to create an array. So far I have had no luck getting the drives visible to the OS.

Has anyone had any success with this sort of situation? I would prefer to not have to purchase another Raid card just to pass the drives though, if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey 1812, did you have to flash the H220 HBA? In looking up that card I came across another forum where the card needed to flashed.

Thanks for the help.

Both that I bought off ebay from 2 different sellers were dropped in with no problems. You may have to disable the onboard raid controller in the bios. One of my servers had an onboard raid controller in the process of dying, and even though I wasn't using it to access disks it was causing serr issues in unRaid. But the other 3 are still enabled but have no cabling attached.

Make sure you know the speed limits of using the h220 in terms of bandwidth/etc and how that affects sata/sas disk and the backplane on the server. I believe the most you will get is sata II speed with sata disks. SAS might give you stata III. I don't recall, but the product manual for the controller is available online. I also use an hp sas expander, both from ebay, both from different sources and dropped in without issue. The gives me a way to access a larger array of 3.5 disks in addition to the 8 2.5 in the onboard cage. There are probably faster choices that will work considering all the pcie ports available and hardware compatibility. But when I had the lot of servers fall into my lap and I wasn't 100% are I'd stick with unRaid to run on them, so that's why I stayed in the hp family for controllers. I'm certain now.

If you're planning on adding a gpu, also be aware that space is tight for bigger cards. I put a gtx 760 in one of my servers but had to use a dremmel to cut off some of the placid shroud which gave me a 1/8th in. clearance between the cpu exhaust housing and the gpu.... fun times.... There are also reasonable cpu upgrades depending on what yours is coming with.

Thanks a whole lot! I really did want to mess with flashing the card. A quick look a the 220 on HP's site makes it look like it should do the the sata III speeds/ 6gb. My plan was to plug the existing backplane into this card. https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/Getdocument.aspx?docname=c04111455

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put a gpu into this server. I'd like too, but like you stated space is tight and I'm a bit jealous of your 2U compared to my 1U.

1 u would be tricky. Additionally to get my gtx760 to work, I had to employ an external PSU and run cables to the 6 & 8 pin inputs. It's not the best way... but is the only way to make it work.

I've been looking for PCIE expanders that would be able to move a card fully external, but can't find anything reasonably priced once you move beyond 1x.... But that is an option, albeit expensive.