Directory hard-linking

Hi.

I understand that hard-linking was implemented recently, but as far as I'm aware, directory hard-linking is still disabled.

Use-case: Plex doesn't recognise symlinks.

Example: I've got a folder "The Simpsons" in /mnt/user/tvshows, which is attached to my "TV Shows" Library within Plex, but I also want it to appear in my "Kids TV" Library, which is located in /mnt/user/kids-tv.

Could this be addressed, or is there a better way of working around this limitation of Plex only recognising hard links?

As I posted here https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42148.1215

Ok, so I re-organised to have /mnt/user/tvshows/TV and /mnt/user/tvshows/kids, and trying both

Code: [select]

ln /mnt/user/tvshows/TV/The\ Simpsons/ /mnt/user/tvshows/Kids/The\ Simpsons

fails with "hard link not allowed for directory"

and

Code: [select]

ln -d /mnt/user/tvshows/TV/The\ Simpsons/ /mnt/user/tvshows/Kids/The\ Simpsons

fails with "Operation not permitted"

I'm Running 6.3.0-rc9.

So trying -d also fails.

Unless I'm reading it wrong,  you are trying to hardlink across different user shares.  That's not supported.  I was trying to do that also but was told by Tom that hard links are only possible within the same share.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

No I tried it also within the same share.  Directory hardlinking is not supported...  And the ln manpage outright says that odds on it will not work... (And also tried it directly on a disk share which has never been subject to the hardlink support added to FUSE in 6.2+)

Unless I'm reading it wrong,  you are trying to hardlink across different user shares.  That's not supported.  I was trying to do that also but was told by Tom that hard links are only possible within the same share.

No I tried it also within the same share.  Directory hardlinking is not supported...  And the ln manpage outright says that odds on it will not work... (And also tried it directly on a disk share which has never been subject to the hardlink support added to FUSE in 6.2+)

Definitely correct.  Seeing as I didn't know what I was doing, as you pointed out in the other thread, I was apparently hard linking files and not the directories.  Didn't realize that,  just had the end result of what seemed like a hard linked directory.

Well, across user shares would be helpful, but not necessary. The annoyance lies more with Plex not supporting reading over symlinks, so will start a thread over there also.

I agree across shares would be nice.  Asked if it was possible but never got a response