Unformatted disk after power loss

Hello All,

This is my first time posting here so if I have left out anything let me know.

I am running unRAID version 5.0.5 and discovered an unformatted disk after a power loss (disk 4) (sdf). I booted the system once power was restored and found the disk in the unformatted condition.

Also going to add that during this time I had another disk that had previously failed (disk 3) (sdb)and I completed that replacement first using the parity swap process here - https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/The_parity_swap_procedure

In general my question. Is there a way to attempt to recover disk 4 by updating the the file system? Currently it shows the file system as unknown and I am not able to use the disk.

Screenshots and syslog are attached. I have the full syslog and can provide if needed.

Is there a fix within this FAQ - 7.4 Why is a disk showing as Unformatted? I wanted to confirm with some experts before I attempt anything.

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#Why_is_a_disk_showing_as_Unformatted.3F

If you need anything further let me know.

Thanks,

Daniel

syslog-small.txt

Screenshots.png.4315927edb4012a14fe1c645e0ca930f.png

Thanks for following up!

Here is the smart report for sdf - disk 4. If I can provide anything else let me know.

When you say corrupt rebuild are you referring to rebuilding data from disk 4 only? The reason I ask is the data rebuilt to disk 3 appears intact and accessible.

Let me know if you can see anything or any opportunity to restore the file system to reiserfs?

Thanks

Smart_-_sdf_disk4.txt

Most data on disk3 will be OK but there will be some corrupt files because of the read errors.

Disk4 is a goner:

Device Model:     WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1
Serial Number:    WD-WMATV1590779

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   192   192   000    Old_age   Always       -       1440
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   199   196   000    Old_age   Offline      -       277

Is old disk3 still intact?

Were there any writes/changes to the array after replacing disk3?

At least that disk was only 1TB. What is the best way to remove the bad drive from the config?

Disk 3 was rebuilt using the parity swap and I installed a new drive as parity. I have checked the data and been able to access all data in the array.

That said I have not completed a parity check since rebuilding disk 3. Should I remove disk 4 from the config before completing a parity check?

You didn't answer my questions, and like I said most files will be OK, some (it could be only a couple or a few more) will be corrupt, by corrupt, if for example it's a video file, it may only be a little glitch during playback, but some files are corrupt for sure.

If you don't care about that and also don't care about the data in disk4 then do a new config without it, you'll need to do a new parity sync after that.

To confirm I have avoided writing any new data to the array since the swap of disk 3.

Old disk 3 was bad and had a red icon so I needed to be changed (it will be discarded). I added a new 3TB drive and moved the current parity to replace disk 3. Once that was completed I rebuilt the parity drive as part of the process. This all seemed to go as expected

Can I complete the following knowing that some data on disk 3 may be corrupted?

1) Create a new config with disk 4 removed and setting everything else as it is now?

E.g.

parity  WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N4US4V96                  (sde)

disk1  /mnt/disk1  WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N0482416 (sdc)

disk2 /mnt/disk2  WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N0477615 (sdd)

disk3 /mnt/disk3  WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N0460577 (sdb)

2) Start the array and complete a parity sync --> is this the same as a parity check?

You can do that, parity sync is building parity, a parity check can only be done after that, since the new config will have one less disk current parity won't be valid and needs to be built.

Some files will remain corrupt on disk3, but it can be minor corruption, also if old disk3 isn't completely dead you may still be able to copy most files from it and use them to replace those on the rebuilt disk.