Nvidia Gamestreaming on Headless Windows 10 VM... Help Needed Please

Evening all,

First time poster, long time reader - I have found the information here invaluable over the last few months while building my system, so I just wanted to firstly thank everyone who has contributed, as I learn more I hope I too can help too!

I have a very specific question I was hoping for help with, firstly this is my set up;

unRAID 6.2.4

M/B: ASRock - Z270 Pro4

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz

Memory: 16 GB (max. installable capacity 64 GB)

Array: 3 x 3TB WD Reds (6TB + Parity)

Cache: SSD 1 x 120 GB Patriot Blast

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

It used as a general file server, I run a few dockers (Crash Plan, Plex MS, Observium) and also a Windows 10 VM which I RDP onto using a Mac for some very specific Windows applications - the unRaid server has been fantastic and very easy to configure with help of these forums.  It currently runs headless in the loft - great!

My question is this.  I recently bought an Nvidia Shield TV, mainly for 4K video streaming, think Netflix and also Amazon (thanks to recent update) and so on which is when I came across Gamestream, this is having your main PC (unRaid server) with an appropriate Nvidia GPU rendering games and streaming to Shield TV in my lounge on my TV - PC gaming with console comfort.

You can see that I have yet to buy a GPU as I wanted to ask here first whether anybody has actually set this up yet?  I don't mind teething problems (I would probably be a little disappointed if there weren't a couple) but is there any obvious issues above which would cause a major problem?  Would my unRAID server being headless cause an issue? 

Any help, advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated - and of course if I do get it up and running I will happy post again showing here.

Many thanks - J

Update - Just for clarity I would install and run the server side Gamestream software on the Windows 10 VM.

I'm not much help in answering your question, but I can say that this is one of those things that I am planning on trying out as well. Just waiting on a new disk to get done preclearing and then I can move to some new hardware that will handle VM's better.

I have used Gamestream from a non virtual non headless Windows 10 pc and it worked ok.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

These are the HDMI dummy plugs I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746HLHKM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All I had to do was just plug them in.  Then I used splashtop, vnc, jump desktop, no machine, etc, to connect to vm and set video resolution.  The things just work and I haven't had any issues using a gtx645 and a gtx1050ti.

I've used the vm's as steam hosts for steam links and Nvidia gamestream to shield tv's.  I'm shocked how well it all works.

i dont have even "dummy plug" works fine without it... ;)

Only issue i had was NVIDIA Experience - wasnt able to enable Shield (on fresh 417.22-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql) but when i downgraded to "399.24-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql" then upgraded back to 417.22 all was working again...:)

• 2 years later...

Please forgive my lack of understanding but my shield doesnt work well with the gamelink as my laptop processor simply isnt powerful. I bought a game on steam but its useless to play. Would this be a suitable alternative? Could I use a vm to use the power of the shield to play?