VMs, domains share, and caching

Kash76

your options:

on Cache: If you have 2 or more disks making a cache pool, then your vm is safer because it is backed on on another part of the pool, unless you've changed the raid settings. The vm also has to compete with other services/dockers for disk i/o that are using the cache disk. Faster write speeds than array, even if only a 1 disk cache.

via unassigned device: vm not competing for disk i/o with dockers/etc, but does not have a backup due to the lack of a drive pool. faster write speeds than array.

on array: much slooooower write speeds to the disk image. generally not advised.

I shutdown my VMs, chose Cache Only for my domains share where my VMs are located, applied, and triggered the mover. No disk activity and this is in my logs....

Jan 30 07:03:50 unRAID root: mover started
Jan 30 07:03:51 unRAID root: mover finished

Any suggestions? Do I have to move the 'domains' directory to the cache folder? There is not even an empty directory there.

I shutdown my VMs, chose Cache Only for my domains share where my VMs are located, applied, and triggered the mover. No disk activity and this is in my logs....

Jan 30 07:03:50 unRAID root: mover started
Jan 30 07:03:51 unRAID root: mover finished

Any suggestions? Do I have to move the 'domains' directory to the cache folder? There is not even an empty directory there.

you actually need to change it to Cache: Prefer to get mover to move files from the array to the cache.    Setting Cache: Only just stops mover from moving files the other way.

That worked great. Thanks again for your help!

BTW, I learned that for one of my VMs that I was okay not having in the cache that creating a new share and moving it to '/mnt/user0/blah' was how to get it in the array.

Set the share to cache-yes and mover will move it to the array for you.

That seems backwards to me? Say yes on cache and it moves it to the array? I had it set to no and it wouldn't move.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

That seems backwards to me? Say yes on cache and it moves it to the array? I had it set to no and it wouldn't move.

The yes and no refer to new data sent to the share. A new file written to a share set to cache yes will initially be written to the cache drive and moved on schedule. A new file written to a share set to cache no will be written directly to the array, not to the cache.

Turn on Help in the upper right. It is a toggle and will stay on until you turn it off. While Help is on the webUI will give explanations of its pages. Go to the Settings page for a user share and see what it says for Use cache disk.

mover will not move files from a share set to cache-no. If you somehow got them on cache (possibly it wasn't set to cache-no) and you have the share set to cache-no, you will have to set it to cache-yes to get them moved then set it back to cache-no.

Yes writes to cache and moves from cache to array.

Prefer writes to cache if it can and moves from array to cache.

Only writes to cache and doesn't move.

No doesn't write to cache and doesn't move.

Turn on Help in the upper right. It is a toggle and will stay on until you turn it off. While Help is on the webUI will give explanations of its pages. Go to the Settings page for a user share and see what it says for Use cache disk.

mover will not move files from a share set to cache-no. If you somehow got them on cache (possibly it wasn't set to cache-no) and you have the share set to cache-no, you will have to set it to cache-yes to get them moved then set it back to cache-no.

Yes writes to cache and moves from cache to array.

Prefer writes to cache if it can and moves from array to cache.

Only writes to cache and doesn't move.

No doesn't write to cache and doesn't move.

Great background, thanks everyone. I'm loving my new server and this community is great!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 12:08 AM, cyberspectre said:

having the system, appdata, domains shares backed up on the array would be convenient.

Just a Note (and my 50 Cent): Backing up those stuff to the array is a little bit like -back in the day- when some ppl made Backups of 😄 to the 😧 Partition of the same HDD. 😜
The Original Data is already save on the Array. So, to raise safety further, you can

• Build a cache pool with 2 SSDs (For Starters: Samsung Evo 250 GB with circa 40 Euros each is not a big, but a good deal)
  • If you still struggle to trust the Cache, get an UPS 😃
  • Put the Backups of CA Backup & Restore e.g. on a external HDD. You can even Filesync them to remote locations like your Parents House or your Webspace.

All in Case of a Pandacalypse, Meteor Strike or Attack of the Killertomatos ... 😇