Second SSD for VMs only

Hey there!

I recently bought myself a 240gb SSD for my appdata and system share.

The main reason is to speed up VM and Docker container restarts and to seperate the Drive from the actual data drive to further increase the speed.

I already have a Cache SSD with only 60gb (enough for my Cache purposes).

Sadly, I cannot figure out a way, so that the "System"-SSD is not beeing written to as a Cache.

I really don't want to impair the speed of my VMs.

How should I go about this?

P.S.: Already saw https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39433.0 and https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47722.0

I was wondering the same thing as Kukielka. I didn't find an option to assign an user share like appdata or VM storage to a certain disk using Unassigned Devices plugin. I tried to google it, but didn't find how to do it. Do you have any good info about it or could you maybe provide the steps to do it? Thanks! :)

I was wondering the same thing as Kukielka. I didn't find an option to assign an user share like appdata or VM storage to a certain disk using Unassigned Devices plugin. I tried to google it, but didn't find how to do it. Do you have any good info about it or could you maybe provide the steps to do it? Thanks! :)

You mount your drive with UA plugin. Then in the docker settings and vm settings page you point to that mount point /mnt/disks/YourDrive

Thanks! I tried to move one docker there and it worked fine. I'll have to transfer the rest later. Just to be clear - you cannot map user shares to the unassigned device? I fear it could cause problems because the device isn't show in any menus and therefore it appears you can't assign user shares there or use new permissions tool?

I managed to quite thoroughly fuck up the server by filling up the cache with file transfers, making all the Dockers and the system etc to hang up. :P A separate SSD for all the important stuff could maybe prevent this for happening again!

Just to be clear - you cannot map user shares to the unassigned device? I fear it could cause problems because the device isn't show in any menus and therefore it appears you can't assign user shares there or use new permissions tool?

correct - User Shares cannot use an Unassigned Device.    All you can do as standard with regard to an Unassigned Device regarding shares is (optionally) share out the whole drive.

Thanks! I tried to move one docker there and it worked fine. I'll have to transfer the rest later. Just to be clear - you cannot map user shares to the unassigned device? I fear it could cause problems because the device isn't show in any menus and therefore it appears you can't assign user shares there or use new permissions tool?

I managed to quite thoroughly fuck up the server by filling up the cache with file transfers, making all the Dockers and the system etc to hang up. :P A separate SSD for all the important stuff could maybe prevent this for happening again!

User shares can't include Unassigned Devices. I haven't tried it but the New Permissions script might work if you ran it at the command line specifying the path to the Unassigned Device. In any case, what the script does is pretty simple and can be done in a couple of commands.

You might want to reconsider your caching if you are filling it up. Most of my user shares don't use cache since most of the writing is queued downloads, scheduled backups, etc. and so is done unattended anyway.

Another thing that you may need to do if using dockers with Unassigned Devices is to make sure the volume is mapped as slave.