Alexa / Amazon Echo from unRAID

methanoid

I like the idea of saying "Alexa, fire up the Windows VM" or "Alexa, shutdown Windows VM and start Linux VM" ....

Anyone think it could be done? Anyone done it?

Yes you can use aptalca's home-automation-bridge docker. I use it to bridge my Micasaverde Vera Plus to my Amazon echo. However your mostly limited to "turn off" and "turn on." The bridge may work with other home automation solutions. I'm not sure.

But basically in Vera I have a wake on lan plugin installed. So each computer/vm is seen as a switch. I then setup that switch in the home-automation-bridge and give it a name. Like Kodi. So if I say "Alexa, turn on Kodi" my openelec machine turns on. Same would apply to a VM. You would just need my Wake On Lan for Virtual Machines Plugin for unRAID to wake the vm.

Now turning off a machine would need a different approach. For Kodi you can send it web commands to do this. I personally use ssh to accomplish it. I have a scene on Vera to turn off Kodi, which is also triggered when the switch is set to off. The server has Vera ssh into kodi kill the boblight daemon then shutdown.

Archived