Kodi Krypton stable released

binhex

Hmm, need to upgrade 2 of my devices me thinks.  I've been running two rooms on 5 yo Pivos DS units which have worked pretty much flawlessly but the developer has said the current firmware build is the last.

What's the cheapest appliance type device these days? Anyone have it working well on. Raspberry?  Then DB will be On unRAID.  The end points via wired 1gb lan cables.

What's the cheapest appliance type device these days? Anyone have it working well on. Raspberry?  Then DB will be On unRAID.  The end points via wired 1gb lan cables.

ive played with Kodi on a RPi (a year or so ago) and it was a bit shit tbh, not sure about RPi2, but my experience was laggy at best in the UI, played movies fine but the ui wasn't pleasant. Im currently running a chromebox with a custom firmware installed to turn it back into a normal pc, then installed Kodi on it and its really rather good!, no UI issues and plays back 1080p stuff with no stuttering at all, so for 1080p its great, not to mention the fact that once you have the firmware installed its then in essence a very small pc, so you can install what you like on it (so no waiting for a dev to update stuff).

so now onto 4k material and videos encoded with x265, this where the chromebox cant really cope, firstly the HDMI output is 1.4a and thus you wont get 4k out of the box, and secondly the CPU isnt powerful enough to decode x265, so thats kinda out, which leads me onto what i will be getting, the new Kaby Lake Intel NUC!. So this box does have HDMI 2.0 output and is powerful enough to decode x265, so its what im looking to move to when it gets released (march 2017).

In short if your not worried about playback of 4k/x265 then get a chromebox (priced around 100 quid or so second hand), else wait and pickup a Intel NUC (pricing should be about 300-400 quid).

ink to article for new intel nuc:- http://www.pcworld.com/article/3154233/computers/intels-new-nuc-mini-desktops-get-kaby-lake-optane-and-thunderbolt-3.html

link to guy on kodi forum who created the firmware:- http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=194362

Anything out there that is a box with a Remote supporting Optical and HDMI Audio?

I have an old AsRock ION 330 that does all that, but finding support for it anymore and I'm honestly not wanting to hack code anymore. Call me lazier than I used to be. Lol ;)

I have a RaspBerry PI 1 and it works pretty well, but wow it can be so so slow sometimes.

Intel NUC all have IR receivers.  They're the most reliable ones available, in my experience.  The external USB IR receivers all eventually stop working or occasionally have their drivers go wonky or some BS.  The NUCs can also be powered on from a MCE remote which is a great job.

I have a Skylake i5, a Broadwell i5 and various older NUCs and they've all been brilliant.  I mostly run Windows on them.

Probably not the best place to ask this but I was wondering if anyone was using multiple instances of Kodi/SPMC in their UnRAID setup? I've got a couple Fire TV's and the database for Kodi with addons like Emby is taking up a lot of memory on each device. What's the best way for me to share these library's across multiple devices?  I'm not sure why my Kodi and SPMC databases explode with the Emby addon? I thought all the artwork and stuff was pulling from my Emby Docker db on my cache drive?  Similarly, is there a way to share one database between Kodi and SPMC? I know they have separate install locations (.kodi vs .spmc) but wondered if it was possible.  I may switch back over entirely to Kodi with v17 but it takes a while to build my database with each install. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, I started a new thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=56297.0

Anything out there that is a box with a Remote supporting Optical and HDMI Audio?

Have a look at FLIRC for remote control usage, basically a usb dongle that converts infrared to key strokes (so its a simple keyboard driver).

Works with virtually any infrared controller.

I've had one for years and its very good.

Have a look at FLIRC for remote control usage, basically a usb dongle that converts infrared to key strokes (so its a simple keyboard driver).

And it works with Amazon FireTV boxes (not sticks) to allow IR control if you have a Harmony or similar.

Intel NUC all have IR receivers.  They're the most reliable ones available, in my experience.  The external USB IR receivers all eventually stop working or occasionally have their drivers go wonky or some BS.  The NUCs can also be powered on from a MCE remote which is a great job.

I have a Skylake i5, a Broadwell i5 and various older NUCs and they've all been brilliant.  I mostly run Windows on them.

yeah, I have a NUC as one of my Kodi boxes.  But I'm looking for something cheaper.

I could try a Celeron and one of the Linux Appliance builds of Kodi but there doesn;t seem any that are download, copy, reboot and forget.  Getting a remote to work seems like a hassle and that's key for me.  WAF = 0 if she can't control everything with the HArmonyt

I'm really digging Android TV boxes these days.  There are some pretty cheap iterations around that can push 4K.

John

Yep currently I'm running that on my Dual Core 2ghz AsRock ION with an old school Xbox DVD Remote and Dongle.

Problem is its running a 2009 release and honestly its working flawlessly, but I'd so like to update it to a newer build, but freaks me out a little bit knowing it could be down for a few days while tweaking everything all over again.

I'm really digging Android TV boxes these days.  There are some pretty cheap iterations around that can push 4K.

John

hi johnodon, could you expand on this a little, i would love a couple of links to boxes your aware of that could do 4k, i didnt expect any/most android boxes to be able to pump out 4k, thats gotta take some grunt from the cpu right?.

John

hi johnodon, could you expand on this a little, i would love a couple of links to boxes your aware of that could do 4k, i didnt expect any/most android boxes to be able to pump out 4k, thats gotta take some grunt from the cpu right?.

The only one I would recommend is the nvidia shield TV. It has support and will continue to get it. The various cheap android devices have a short lifetime and development stops quite fast. But I don't know them all, so might be some with good support.

John

The only one I would recommend is the nvidia shield TV. It has support and will continue to get it. The various cheap android devices have a short lifetime and development stops quite fast. But I don't know them all, so might be some with good support.

ahh right, yes i was aware of the shield, hmm think i will splash the extra cash and get a new kaby lake nuc, just incase anybody is interested here is the discussion going on on the kodi forum and real life experience with the new nuc:-

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=294312

• 2 weeks later...

I just upgraded to Krypton from Eden and glad to see other than the skin default it feels similarly as simple to navigate TV Shows and Movies as before. Something that concerns me is the huge increase in popularity of certain add-ons that could make the whole Kodi project develop a bad name.

I only have a 1080p TV, not 4k, and recently got a Pi3 with OSMC and have been really impressed at the cost. The build of Pi3 with OSMC install direct from the install menu from NOOBS loaded on the microSD card just felt too easy compared to the older Apple TV 1 with broadcom crystal hd conversion and USB install of crystalbuntu.

I held off for many years thinking the Pi wasn't powerful enough, so I can't say anything about the earlier versions, but my Pi3 handles 1080p wirelessly just fine for me on the newest Kodi Krypton within OSMC. I'd recommend this setup instead of the more expensive Chromebox.