unRAID OS version 6.3.0 Stable Release Available

limetech

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After upgrading from 6.2.4 to 6.3.0, I get the following in my VM/qemu log.

2017-02-05T20:29:39.741418Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=08:00.0,id=hostdev3,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9: Failed to mmap 0000:08:00.0 BAR 2. Performance may be slow
2017-02-05T20:29:39.746332Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: Unknown firmware file in legacy mode: etc/msr_feature_control

I looked back at some old diagnostics from a couple of weeks ago and I did not get this message.  This is for an add-on USB 3.0 controller that I have passed through to the VM.  I have not fully tested the USB but can tell you that it is working on some level as I am typing and using a mouse that is plugged into this device....not sure that the performance may be slow means.

I am post here vs KVM forum since I did not get this message previously.

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

Quick question:  is there any felt impact from the upgrade in terms of your VM, performance, or anything with your USB devices attached to that controller?  If not, the message is likely harmless, but curious if you can trace this back to any symptoms you notice when using the VM.

*eats my hat*

So after much digging around I've come down to "It's a network issue".

I've rolled back to 6.2.4 to see what went south and for the life of me I cannot ping ANYTHING outside of my local network from Unraid.

I have the default route set properly. I've done DHCP from static. I've booted into safe mode to see if it's a plugin issue. It's not.

I can connect to the system from another PC via SSH. I can connect from my phone to it over wireless. The system, for whatever reason, has no clue what to do when it tries to go out.

My firewall does not show the system being blocked, it's on the same DHCP pool as other systems which are going out to the internet, i can connect over SMB.  The default route is corrrect, tried adding that manually. I've swapped cables, I've swapped interfaces. Tried to use bond's. I've plugged this system straight into the back of the router bypassing my switch.

I'm stumped why after the upgrade my network stack just went to crap.

I have another 6.3.0 system that works like a champ, mostly.

For further giggles I tested from my firewall to 8.8.8.8. traceroute and ping tests. No issues no problem.

Ping to the UnRAID system from the firewall? Pings fine.

Normally I would diagnose a routing issue but the route is correct

ironduke-diagnostics-20170206-1329.zip

2017-02-05T20:29:39.741418Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=08:00.0,id=hostdev3,bus=pci.0,addr=0x9: Failed to mmap 0000:08:00.0 BAR 2. Performance may be slow
2017-02-05T20:29:39.746332Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: Unknown firmware file in legacy mode: etc/msr_feature_control

I looked back at some old diagnostics from a couple of weeks ago and I did not get this message.  This is for an add-on USB 3.0 controller that I have passed through to the VM.  I have not fully tested the USB but can tell you that it is working on some level as I am typing and using a mouse that is plugged into this device....not sure that the performance may be slow means.

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

Quick question:  is there any felt impact from the upgrade in terms of your VM, performance, or anything with your USB devices attached to that controller?  If not, the message is likely harmless, but curious if you can trace this back to any symptoms you notice when using the VM.

I also get the same:

2017-02-05T13:30:01.642740Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: Unknown firmware file in legacy mode: etc/msr_feature_control

And my Ubuntu VM now is terribly slow and laggy. Trying to type in a terminal will yield something like:

apt-get upgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

and just hang, then eventually come back. Very bad performance. Was smooth as butter prior to the upgrade of 6.2.4 -> 6.3.0. No config changes, just upgrade through webui.

Update did not show up under plugins initially (even after clicking Check for Updates).  Restarted UnRAID, went back to plugins and updates showed up.  Before starting array updated unRAID, Dynamix, Fix Common Problems, Preclear Disks and Unassigned devices.  Restarted and everything came up.  Always like it when things go smoothly.

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

2017-02-05T13:30:01.642740Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: Unknown firmware file in legacy mode: etc/msr_feature_control

And my Ubuntu VM now is terribly slow and laggy. Trying to type in a terminal will yield something like:

and just hang, then eventually come back. Very bad performance. Was smooth as butter prior to the upgrade of 6.2.4 -> 6.3.0. No config changes, just upgrade through webui.

Ok, assuming this is over VNC.  Can you try this solution from our upgrade notes to see if it fixes it for you?

*eats my hat*

So after much digging around I've come down to "It's a network issue".

I've rolled back to 6.2.4 to see what went south and for the life of me I cannot ping ANYTHING outside of my local network from Unraid.

I have the default route set properly. I've done DHCP from static. I've booted into safe mode to see if it's a plugin issue. It's not.

I can connect to the system from another PC via SSH. I can connect from my phone to it over wireless. The system, for whatever reason, has no clue what to do when it tries to go out.

My firewall does not show the system being blocked, it's on the same DHCP pool as other systems which are going out to the internet, i can connect over SMB.  The default route is corrrect, tried adding that manually. I've swapped cables, I've swapped interfaces. Tried to use bond's. I've plugged this system straight into the back of the router bypassing my switch.

I'm stumped why after the upgrade my network stack just went to crap.

I have another 6.3.0 system that works like a champ, mostly.

Therefore this is clearly not a 6.3.0 issue.

There's nothing in your syslog that shows anything trying to contact an Internet host and therefore there's no evidence of a failure and nothing work with. When you say you can't ping anything outside of your local network you don't say whether you're pinging a host name or an IP address. Try pinging 8.8.8.8 and if you get a response you have a DNS issue. If you don't then you have a routing issue. If you haven't done so already you might try rebooting your router.

If you need more help open a new thread in the General Support board.

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

Ok, assuming this is over VNC.  Can you try this solution from our upgrade notes to see if it fixes it for you?

I was already on Q35 2.5, so I changed it to Q35 2.7 and I still have the same sluggish behavior, and same logs.

And yes, I use the built in VNC interface.

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

I was already on Q35 2.5, so I changed it to Q35 2.7 and I still have the same sluggish behavior, and same logs.

What about the vnc video driver?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

Same stuttered behavior when changing from QXL to Cirrus. Just tested.....

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

Can you repost diagnostics?  Also please share your VM XML.

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

Here you are (VM is off at the time of creation, as I can't use it) - I added a VM.xml inside the zip as well (note, I switched Video driver back since it made no difference).

theark-diagnostics-20170206-1737.zip

I have a problem that popped up earlier in the 6.3 BETA cycle, hoped it would get fixed when the FINAL came out, but no luck.  Maybe it's specific to my configuration.  This issue is when I STOP the array, then select the checkbox to reboot, then proceed to click the REBOOT button, nothing happens.  Almost like there is nothing associated with this action.  I end up having to SSH in, then reboot from the shell.

I'm experiencing no other issues.  Diagnostics attached.  Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20170206-1446.zip

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

I also get the same:

Here you are (VM is off at the time of creation, as I can't use it) - I added a VM.xml inside the zip as well (note, I switched Video driver back since it made no difference).

As a data point, I'm experiencing the EXACT issues with my ubuntu VNC VM. I've tried all types of combinations for machine type (440 v q35) and VNC driver (all 3).

I even tried to create a NEW VM using ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 and I can immediately tell the problem persists, dont even have to install the OS just in the installer it has issues.

My Plex Media Player VM with HD5450 passthru seems to be working just fine.

During the Ubuntu installer, the initial part that is a text only menu works fine, it's only when the GUI is loaded.

Here's a response from SnickySnacks that may help some users with share access issues, particularly for devices using older Samba authentication methods.

I was initially going to post that my DuneHD was working, but I realized I had my shares set to "secure" not "private".

To get it working in "Private" mode, add

ntlm auth = yes

to your samba.conf in settings -> SMB and restart samba.

Howdy SnickySnacks, do you feel this may be a general answer to the problems a number of users are having accessing shares from other devices?  If so, I'd like to post it more visibly.  And can you add to your post how new users would restart Samba?

I'm not sure it's a general answer (I was able to connect on Windows 10 in private mode regardless). It likely only affects devices that use the older NTLM1 authentication.

My debugging steps went like this:

Added to samba.conf:

log level=2

syslog=3

reloaded config from telnet:

smbcontrol smbd reload-config

Saw in the syslog:

"NTLMv1 passwords NOT PERMITTED for user"

This indicated that my device was using the older protocol which was likely disabled for security reasons.

Adding

ntlm auth = yes

then:

smbcontrol smbd reload-config

allowed the older authentication.

This shouldn't make a difference for like windows 10 (which people seem to be having a problem with), but some devices that don't support NTLMv2 may require it.

From the smb.conf manpage

https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html

ntlm auth (G)

This parameter determines whether or not smbd(8) will attempt to authenticate users using the NTLM encrypted password response. If disabled, either the lanman password hash or an NTLMv2 response will need to be sent by the client.

If this option, and lanman auth are both disabled, then only NTLMv2 logins will be permited. Not all clients support NTLMv2, and most will require special configuration to use it.

Default: ntlm auth = yes

Looks like unraid or a more recent samba version is defaulting this to "no".

Woohoo this got my DUNE's working with private shares again!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

unRAID_SMB.jpg

craigr

The only thing in your generic system log that stands out to me relating to VMs at this point is this message:

Feb  6 10:24:44 Inefavel kernel: kvm: SMP vm created on host with unstable TSC; guest TSC will not be reliable

There isn't much information on this issue available, but in general, it means that your host has an unreliable TSC (used for timekeeping).

Then, separately in your Windows 10 VM log, this series of errors keeps repeating:

smbus: error: Unexpected recv start condition in state 3
smbus: error: Unexpected read in state -1
smbus: error: Unexpected NACK in state -1
smbus: error: Unexpected NACK in state -1

You have another VM called "Windows 10 g" and this one doesn't seem to have the same messages in its log.

There are others who have also previously reported seeing this in their logs, but they didn't report any performance issues as a result of the errors.

Have you tried reverting to 6.2.4 and confirmed the issue goes away?

Thanks Jonp!

As far I looked up, I do believe that this unstable TSC happen due to my old hardware.

Just downgraded to 6.2.4, everything runs smooth now.

I'll wait for the next release to update, hope my hardware likes it.

not sure if it belongs here but here is the diags from my failed disk straight after upgrade to 6.3  I do not have the diags from rite after it was upgraded due to stupidity.  The disk has been unselected and the array is running with disk 8 being emulated.  I try to mount the disk via the UD plugin and I get these errors

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sdp1): found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sdp1): using ordered data mode

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: reiserfs: using flush barriers

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sdp1): journal params: device sdp1, size 8192, journal first block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max trans age 30

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device sdp1): checking transaction log (sdp1)

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm2: log_info(0x31120b10): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0b10)

Feb  7 12:02:06 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm2: log_info(0x31120b10): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0b10)

Feb  7 12:02:07 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm2: log_info(0x31120b10): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0b10)

Feb  7 12:02:07 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm2: log_info(0x31120b10): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0b10)

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm2: log_info(0x31120b10): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0b10)

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:6:0: [sdp] tag#0 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x0b driverbyte=0x00

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:6:0: [sdp] tag#0 CDB: opcode=0x8a 8a 08 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 d0 00 00 00 08 00 00

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdp, sector 65744

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdp, sector 65744

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdp1, logical block 8210, lost sync page write

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sdp1): journal-837 _update_journal_header_block: IO error during journal replay

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sdp1): reiserfs-2006 journal_init: Replay Failure, unable to mount

Feb  7 12:02:08 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device sdp1): sh-2022 reiserfs_fill_super: unable to initialize journal space

I have run a manual file system check with no errors apart from it being slow on that drive.  I am going to try the following things before I try a rebuild.  I am going to reboot with ncq off there is some google searches in regards to the error and ncq.  I then wish to reboot back into 6.2.4 to see if the disk can be mounted without the errors.  I am just wanting to get the disk mountable before I start the rebuild as a just in case as 1 of my other disks has a smart error about 2 pending sectors which I am not happy about and don't like the chances of the rebuild.

tower-diagnostics-20170207-1212.zip

Has something changed with "powerdown" in this release?

I have some at commands like this:

echo "powerdown" | at 22:30

which are not working any more.

Error is as follows: 

sh: line 21: powerdown: command not found

However if I log into the server via putty and simply type powerdown, it works fine??

my guess is that you need to include the full path to the Powerdown command.

Jonp,

To be honest I have not felt any impacts from the upgrade in terms of my windows 10 VM performance.  Keyboard and mouse seem fine.  I did plug in a usb printer and it seemed to take a long time to recognize and load the driver however.  I will pay more attention as it seems like the Ubuntu VM users are reporting issues. 

For what its worth this is the USB3 PCI card that I have:  https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks,

Dan

Any suggestions?

Hi snoopin,

Error is as follows: 

However if I log into the server via putty and simply type powerdown, it works fine??

Thanks.  Do you know what the full path is?

Error is as follows: 

Thanks.  Do you know what the full path is?

/usr/local/sbin/powerdown