unRAID OS version 6.3.0 Stable Release Available

limetech

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has something changed with "powerdown" in this release?

I have some at commands like this:

echo "powerdown" | at 22:30

which are not working any more.

Error is as follows: 

sh: line 21: powerdown: command not found

However if I log into the server via putty and simply type powerdown, it works fine??

my guess is that you need to include the full path to the Powerdown command.

Thanks.  Do you know what the full path is?

Note that /usr/local/sbin/powerdown is a script that just invokes either /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff and has been deprecated.

'powerdown' is a script formerly used by webGui/emhttp to initiate a gracefull power off or reboot.  The problem is that in it's original form, 'powerdown' relied on emhttp process to sequence the operation, but there were cases where this could not happen or proceeded very slowly.  Ultimately the system commands 'poweroff' or 'reboot' were finally invoked to complete the operation.

Anyway, the whole shutdown/poweroff/reboot operation was re-coded a couple releases ago so that now the "stock" linux reboot and poweroff commands work properly to execute a "clean" reboot or poweroff, or at least time-out in a reasonable amount of time (before battery dies in UPS hopefully).

The point is you should use /sbin/poweroff instead of 'powerdown' or '/usr/local/sbin/powerdown' in your 'at' job.

Edit 2:

OK Yep - Fairly sure SMB is broken for me in 6.3.0.

6.3.0 is seemingly modifying the metadata for random files and makes CCC copy the file over again even though both files haven't changed in years.

Running 6.2.4 again for the second time to confirm my theory - but I'm beginning to think something to do with metadata, SMB and OS X is seriously broken.

Edit 3: Yep - Ran 4 passes now using 6.2.4 - doesn't backup old files when it shouldn't. I'm going to keep clear of 6.3.0 now as I can't have my backups being modified...

The files that CCC thought had changed on the server had the approx date and time of when CCC accessed that directory to scan it. Only a handful of folders were modified by this at a time but every time I ran CCC it would modify more.

Hey,

As a heads up: there seems to be a bug in the 4.9 Linux Kernel that can make certain USB devices useless.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=853894

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=222451

https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=6523.0

For me its the DVB card.

dvb-usb: could not stop the USB controller CPU.
dvb-usb: error while transferring firmware (transferred size: -11, block size: 3)
dvb-usb: firmware download failed at 8 with -22

Rolling back to Kernel 4.8 seems to solve the issue for most people. I am back to 6.2.4 for the time beeing  :-\

Rolled back to 6.2.4 and VM performance via VNC has returned to normal. Definately something up with 6.3.0 and VNC.

The only thing in your generic system log that stands out to me relating to VMs at this point is this message:

Feb  6 10:24:44 Inefavel kernel: kvm: SMP vm created on host with unstable TSC; guest TSC will not be reliable

There isn't much information on this issue available, but in general, it means that your host has an unreliable TSC (used for timekeeping).

Then, separately in your Windows 10 VM log, this series of errors keeps repeating:

smbus: error: Unexpected recv start condition in state 3
smbus: error: Unexpected read in state -1
smbus: error: Unexpected NACK in state -1

You have another VM called "Windows 10 g" and this one doesn't seem to have the same messages in its log.

There are others who have also previously reported seeing this in their logs, but they didn't report any performance issues as a result of the errors.

Have you tried reverting to 6.2.4 and confirmed the issue goes away?

Thanks Jonp!

As far I looked up, I do believe that this unstable TSC happen due to my old hardware.

Just downgraded to 6.2.4, everything runs smooth now.

I'll wait for the next release to update, hope my hardware likes it.

For you two and anyone else having VNC performance issues in 6.3.0, can you please try using a full VNC client to connect as opposed to the noVNC client built into the webGui itself?  A few options are RealVNC or TigerVNC (but there are many others).  When connecting, please remember that the port to use will be 5900 or above and you need to connect to the IP of the unRAID host, not the guest VM.  We need to narrow down whether this performance issue is due to QEMU/KVM or noVNC.  In addition, please try alternate web browsers to launch the noVNC connection and see if your performance issues persist.

Edit 2:

I am also having issues with SMB and Mac OS. Would be interested to see if anyone else is affected.

Since upgrading to 6.3.0 my Network Transfer speeds have dropped significantly, however, I can still connect to my shares unlike others.

I am connected with CAT6 via a Gigabit Router (Airport Extreme) to my Mac and previously got full Gigabit ethernet speeds. The ethtool command shows that I am connected at full speed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check/restore transfer speed.

Edit 2:

I am also having issues with SMB and Mac OS. Would be interested to see if anyone else is affected.

Since upgrading to 6.3.0 my Network Transfer speeds have dropped significantly, however, I can still connect to my shares unlike others.

I am connected with CAT6 via a Gigabit Router (Airport Extreme) to my Mac and previously got full Gigabit ethernet speeds. The ethtool command shows that I am connected at full speed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check/restore transfer speed.

There is a program available called LAN Speed Test  that seems to be accurate for Windows Machines and they do have a version available for Mac's.  The 'Lite' version is free.  Google to find it.  If you have a Gb network, I would suggest that you use a file size of 2GB or more to get a better results.

Edit 2:

Didn't test and/or notice that to be honest! Not going to touch 6.3.0 with a barge pole until we know what on earth is going on.

There is a program available called LAN Speed Test  that seems to be accurate for Windows Machines and they do have a version available for Mac's.  The 'Lite' version is free.  Google to find it.  If you have a Gb network, I would suggest that you use a file size of 2GB or more to get a better results.

Thanks. Will give that a try tonight and report back.

Rolled back to 6.2.4 and VM performance via VNC has returned to normal. Definately something up with 6.3.0 and VNC.

The only thing in your generic system log that stands out to me relating to VMs at this point is this message:

Feb  6 10:24:44 Inefavel kernel: kvm: SMP vm created on host with unstable TSC; guest TSC will not be reliable

There isn't much information on this issue available, but in general, it means that your host has an unreliable TSC (used for timekeeping).

Then, separately in your Windows 10 VM log, this series of errors keeps repeating:

smbus: error: Unexpected recv start condition in state 3
smbus: error: Unexpected read in state -1

You have another VM called "Windows 10 g" and this one doesn't seem to have the same messages in its log.

There are others who have also previously reported seeing this in their logs, but they didn't report any performance issues as a result of the errors.

Have you tried reverting to 6.2.4 and confirmed the issue goes away?

Thanks Jonp!

As far I looked up, I do believe that this unstable TSC happen due to my old hardware.

Just downgraded to 6.2.4, everything runs smooth now.

I'll wait for the next release to update, hope my hardware likes it.

For you two and anyone else having VNC performance issues in 6.3.0, can you please try using a full VNC client to connect as opposed to the noVNC client built into the webGui itself?  A few options are RealVNC or TigerVNC (but there are many others).  When connecting, please remember that the port to use will be 5900 or above and you need to connect to the IP of the unRAID host, not the guest VM.  We need to narrow down whether this performance issue is due to QEMU/KVM or noVNC.  In addition, please try alternate web browsers to launch the noVNC connection and see if your performance issues persist.

Will test now

EDIT: Immediate impressions are that performance is substantially better using an external VNC viewer.

I'm running 6.3.0 for the past day and a half with SMB on my Mac and everything seems to be working fine on my end.  I've been using Plex with no issues.  I don't use TM though

Thanks for reporting in. I am also able to use Plex with no issue, currently investigating my speed issue.

EDIT: Immediate impressions are that performance is substantially better using an external VNC viewer.

Not surprising.  "noVNC" is totally javascript/browser based and in constant development.  We will be upgrading that code as well but might be a while before it rivals performance of "native" vnc clients.

Not surprising.  "noVNC" is totally javascript/browser based and in constant development.  We will be upgrading that code as well but might be a while before it rivals performance of "native" vnc clients.

Thanks Tom. Just glad we were able to work around it for now. I use my VM's for firmware compilation for public router builds. So was unhappy to have it down.

I will say the conveince of the built in "noVNC" is quite handy.

ntlm auth = yes seems to have fixed my problem.  :)

I upgraded and had the same issue with a PopCorn Hour player, would not connect to SMB share anymore. 

added ntlm auth = yes to smb config and it's now working again.  Thanks!

So, is this going to be fixed in the next release, where this settings works correctly without this manual step?  I don't want to have to do this every time there is an new release of unraid.

Can do Jon... any idea how I can get Dockers back on 6.2.4?

EDIT: Fixed it. If anyone else runs into this issue I had to 'stop' docker, delete the image, reboot, re-start docker and it's showing running again.

Same steps I've used with bouncing between RC and 6.2.4 took some trial and error and I even included an extra reboot at the end.

Thank you for this.  I was trying to use remmina vnc via the guest vm in to no avail.    The web vnc is super convenient though.. 

I upgraded and had the same issue with a PopCorn Hour player, would not connect to SMB share anymore. 

So, is this going to be fixed in the next release, where this settings works correctly without this manual step?  I don't want to have to do this every time there is an new release of unraid.

Once you have in the Samba Extra Configuration, it will always be there if you upgrade through the Plugin page or just copy over the bz* files.  Even if it it is added into the standard unRAID release, you don't have to remove it because the entry will just turn it 'on' a second time.  (It is like saving a file twice.) 

Once you have in the Samba Extra Configuration, it will always be there if you upgrade through the Plugin page or just copy over the bz* files.  Even if it it is added into the standard unRAID release, you don't have to remove it because the entry will just turn it 'on' a second time.  (It is like saving a file twice.)

That's correct.  We are turning that option on for 6.3.1.

Has something changed with "powerdown" in this release?

I have some at commands like this:

echo "powerdown" | at 22:30

which are not working any more.

Error is as follows: 

sh: line 21: powerdown: command not found

However if I log into the server via putty and simply type powerdown, it works fine??

my guess is that you need to include the full path to the Powerdown command.

Thanks.  Do you know what the full path is?

Note that /usr/local/sbin/powerdown is a script that just invokes either /sbin/reboot or /sbin/poweroff and has been deprecated.

'powerdown' is a script formerly used by webGui/emhttp to initiate a gracefull power off or reboot.  The problem is that in it's original form, 'powerdown' relied on emhttp process to sequence the operation, but there were cases where this could not happen or proceeded very slowly.  Ultimately the system commands 'poweroff' or 'reboot' were finally invoked to complete the operation.

Anyway, the whole shutdown/poweroff/reboot operation was re-coded a couple releases ago so that now the "stock" linux reboot and poweroff commands work properly to execute a "clean" reboot or poweroff, or at least time-out in a reasonable amount of time (before battery dies in UPS hopefully).

The point is you should use /sbin/poweroff instead of 'powerdown' or '/usr/local/sbin/powerdown' in your 'at' job.

Thank you, this worked.