unRAID OS version 6.3.0 Stable Release Available

limetech

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I scanned the usb but there were no errors.  I'm still in the loop.  Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan

try booting into the GUI option - there have been some reports that works for some people where the non-GUI version does not.  Seems to be related to the motherboard in use.

Yeah, it won't boot into gui mode it just flashes.  I've tried putting the 6.2.4 files back on but that didn't work either... same problem.

I just want to confirm that I replaced the bzroot, bzimage and bzroot-gui from the download to the flash drive in the unRAIDServer folder on the flash drive.

Ryan

Yeah, it won't boot into gui mode it just flashes.  I've tried putting the 6.2.4 files back on but that didn't work either... same problem.

I just want to confirm that I replaced the bzroot, bzimage and bzroot-gui from the download to the flash drive in the unRAIDServer folder on the flash drive.

Ryan

I am confuse as there should be no unRAIDServer folder on your flash drive!  The bz* files are copied to the root 'folder' of the flash drive.  (The root folder does not have a name per say.)  You can't go any higher up the directory chain and still stay on the flash drive.  You should have received a warning that you were going to be overwriting each of the files that you were copying.

Huh, that's really strange.  I put the files into the root of the flash drive and it worked.  I'm not sure why that file exists and why the files were there but it seems to be working now.  It was working previously and updated previously without the biz files in the root of the 'folder'

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

What my gut feeling is that the implementation of NTLMv2 in SAMBA is incompatible with the version that is in Win10.  After that fails, Win10 'falls' back to NTLMv1 and since that is not turn on the latest version of SAMBA (by  default), it fails to connect to the server-- period.  As soon as NTLMv1 is turned back on in SAMBA, Win10 computers can connect via that protocol.

I'm sure this isn't, as a rule, true.

When I was doing my original testing on the ntlm issue, I did verify that my Windows 10 machine could access the private shares on my unraid machine without the modified samba config (even when my DuneHD could not). NTLMv2 is really old (2001-ish) so it's unlikely that there's some blanket problem with it.

It was suggested that the Windows 10 issue may be a result of people fiddling with the samba settings on win 10 due to an older unraid issue that was causing authentication failures. (specifically, there was some old advice that suggested disabling SMB2 and SMB3 which will end up defaulting you to NTLM authentication)

See posts such as:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45778.msg437288#msg437288

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44118.msg434525#msg434525

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48820.msg468322#msg468322

At this point, though, the only way to really check would be to have someone with the Win10 issue turn up the samba logging and see why it's failing on 6.3.0. I suspect that the answer will be that they have NTLMv2 turned off as above, rather than some incompatibility.

Getting kernel panics at boot up with 6.3. 1st picture is normal boot up with KP. 2nd doesnt have a KP but it freezes and i removed all plugins. Safe mode gives the KP.

I had this problem going from Version 6.3.0-rc6 to Version 6.3.0-rc9 as well but at the time didn't have time to trouble shoot it or report it.

Diag is attached but not sure if it will help at all since it wouldn't boot and i had to go back to 6.2

I can't tell anything from those pics, too much is cut off.  These kinds of panics are very difficult because of that.  We really need to see the beginning of the messages.  I've had luck with taking a video.  Obvious question first: are you sure the download and/or extraction to your usb boot flash didn't get corrupted?

Getting kernel panics at boot up with 6.3. 1st picture is normal boot up with KP. 2nd doesnt have a KP but it freezes and i removed all plugins. Safe mode gives the KP.

I had this problem going from Version 6.3.0-rc6 to Version 6.3.0-rc9 as well but at the time didn't have time to trouble shoot it or report it.

Diag is attached but not sure if it will help at all since it wouldn't boot and i had to go back to 6.2

I can't tell anything from those pics, too much is cut off.  These kinds of panics are very difficult because of that.  We really need to see the beginning of the messages.  I've had luck with taking a video.  Obvious question first: are you sure the download and/or extraction to your usb boot flash didn't get corrupted?

I will try a video tonight. I will also try manually installing the upgrade as well.

I know the kp message doesn't help but I did see a lot of old posts about it with people with AMD cpus (which I have)  on other sites about an older kernel. I found the instructions on using different boot codes. I thought about trying some things with those for apic and see what happens.

ok didn't mess with any boot codes.

Manually upgraded on my flash drive. same problem. Took a different flash drive and created from scratch, didn't copy any config files over, just booted right after creating it, same problem.

Got it video, here a link to dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tee9nnm56e67a08/IMG_4108.MOV?dl=0

video was blurry for me watching on web but downloaded and it was fine.

Manually upgraded on my flash drive. same problem. Took a different flash drive and created from scratch, didn't copy any config files over, just booted right after creating it, same problem.

Stepping through the video frame-by-frame with vlc the part where the panic starts is still unintelligible, but let's assume it's an acpi issue.  In your syslinux/syslinux.cfg file add "acpi=off" like this:

append acpi=off initrd=/bzroot

Let me know if that eliminates the kernel panic.  If so, check for a bios update on your motherboard.  There have been crashes reported with 4.9 kernel related to this, eg:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52271

Stepping through the video frame-by-frame with vlc the part where the panic starts is still unintelligible, but let's assume it's an acpi issue.  In your syslinux/syslinux.cfg file add "acpi=off" like this:

append acpi=off initrd=/bzroot

Let me know if that eliminates the kernel panic.  If so, check for a bios update on your motherboard.  There have been crashes reported with 4.9 kernel related to this, eg:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/52271

Ok thanks for the info. I will look for a bios update first, which I've been meaning to do, and then try that. If it still fails, I will try to take a better video.

One successful upgrade and one failure.

I am getting the Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing error which prevents the unRAID server from booting.

I have tested with a fresh 6.3.1 USB and the same error is present. Returning to 6.2.4 fixes the problem.

There is mention of a CPU 9 and NMI but that is all I remember of the error text.

I saw people mention Kernel Panic around page 13-14 of this topic but I didn't see any kind of resolution. Are the people having this issue just reverting back to 6.2.4?

One successful upgrade and one failure.

I am getting the Kernel Panic -- Not Syncing error which prevents the unRAID server from booting.

I have tested with a fresh 6.3.1 USB and the same error is present. Returning to 6.2.4 fixes the problem.

There is mention of a CPU 9 and NMI but that is all I remember of the error text.

I saw people mention Kernel Panic around page 13-14 of this topic but I didn't see any kind of resolution. Are the people having this issue just reverting back to 6.2.4?

Please try the 'acpi=off' mentioned 2 posts above yours and report back if that gets you past the kernel panic.

• 2 weeks later...

hey sorry for this late reply. I updated my bios and tried the acpi=off and it didn't help at all.

I was going to try some other things but haven't had the chance. 

I just tried 6.3.2 and it is booting perfectly know. I wasn't sure if I should post this on the 6.3.2 board or not but since we were talking about it here, thought this would be the best place

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2017 at 5:38 PM, limetech said:

unRAID Server OS Change Log
===========================
Version 6.3.0-rc2 2016-10-19
----------------------------
- bug fix: For file system type "auto", only attempt btrfs,xfs,reiserfs mounts.

FYI I encountered the following situation... I did a New Config (quite experienced, done it many times over the years) however once all the drives were re-assigned, the array would start but all drives would show that they were unmountable. The fix was to change the File System Type on each of the drives from 'auto' to 'XFS' then allowed the array to start and mount successfully for all drives.

My worry is others who do New Config might encounter this too and panic... like hitting the format button. :\

As to why 'auto' wasn't working, I didn't get a verbose log at the time but will if perform this activity again. The only other issue on my server at the time was XFS corruption on the cache drive, but I don't see how that would of influenced 'auto' not working for the array. Once all were set to 'XFS' it mounted fine even with the corrupted cache drive.

Anyone else had experience with this and can confirm or reject?

12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Are you using v6.4rc? If yes probably the same as this:

Looks like the same but your path to resolving it didn't work in my case, I tried the same thing you did. I'll comment more in your thread and move the conversation there.

1 hour ago, Lev said:

Are you using v6.4rc?

Great question!! Glad you asked...

6.4rc7a is where I encountered this. I only posted in this thread since it appears this is where the change originated back in 6.3's rc stage. I went looking for the change, cause I've done a lot of these NewConfigs over the years and sensed there was a change along the way when I saw 'auto' in the settings. After enjoying a few bourbons I probably lost sense of which thread to post in. Apologies! 

• 3 months later...
On 2/11/2017 at 5:33 PM, limetech said:

Please try the 'acpi=off' mentioned 2 posts above yours and report back if that gets you past the kernel panic.

I finally got around to trying this and it changed the error. I no longer get the Kernal Panic but now the unRaid boot hangs on Intel_pstate: Intel P-state driver initializing

No matter how long I wait it never advances beyond that.