Start receiving email with cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily

Hi, I see from other threads that it was an issue a while ago that was resolved, but in my case, it started to happen only now.  I'm on the new UnRAID 6.3 release couple of days ago (the final build).  I didn't try any of the beta of 6.3, so it's not a leftover of a Release Candidate.

The email subject is :  cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

The body of the message contains :  error: Ignoring tor because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

Hi, I see from other threads that it was an issue a while ago that was resolved, but in my case, it started to happen only now.  I'm on the new UnRAID 6.3 release couple of days ago (the final build).  I didn't try any of the beta of 6.3, so it's not a leftover of a Release Candidate.

The email subject is :  cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

The body of the message contains :  error: Ignoring tor because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

100% from preclear.  Uninstall & reinstall tends to fix
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funny that I'm back in my own old topic looking for a fix.  I just get now the same errors than @JohanSF here.  Multiple lines of errors :

error: skipping "/var/log/apcupsd.events" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group which is not "root") Set "su" directive in config file to tell logrotate which user/group should be used for rotation.
error: skipping "/var/log/docker.log" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group which is not "root") Set "su" directive in config file to tell logrotate which user/group should be used for rotation.
error: skipping "/var/log/syslog" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group which is not "root") Set "su" directive in config file to tell logrotate which user/group should be used for rotation.
error: skipping "/var/log/vsftpd.log" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group which is not "root") Set "su" directive in config file to tell logrotate which user/group should be used for rotation.
error: skipping "/var/log/wtmp" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group which is not "root") Set "su" directive in config file to tell logrotate which user/group should be used for rotation.
error: skipping "/var/log/btmp" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group which is not "root") Set "su" directive in config file to tell logrotate which user/group should be used for rotation.

Didn't change anything, seems to have started 1 or 2 weeks ago.

• 4 months later...

I started getting this email when I updated to 6.7. However, the contents of my email is:

HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

All of my drives are correctly identified. So I guess it might be what @Squid said about preclear disk plugin, I've removed it and reinstalled it, we'll see if the same email comes tomorrow!

While your exact message isn't in the syslog, a similar one is there for when you nvme attempts to go to standby.  Disable that on disk settings.

Beyond that, disk 8 has multiple read errors.  All corrected, so it never got disabled.  Trouble is that because this all happened during a rebuild of disk 

And, I'm not the one to help on why one of your unassigned drives won't mount

May 17 09:59:35 Zeus unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0143001'
May 17 09:59:35 Zeus kernel: XFS (sdj1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 94397054-2b25-409f-89c2-5901afb836b7 - can't mount
May 17 09:59:35 Zeus unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0143001: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 
May 17 09:59:35 Zeus unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0143001' could not be mounted...

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Squid said:

While your exact message isn't in the syslog, a similar one is there for when you nvme attempts to go to standby.  Disable that on disk settings.

Beyond that, disk 8 has multiple read errors.  All corrected, so it never got disabled.  Trouble is that because this all happened during a rebuild of disk 

And, I'm not the one to help on why one of your unassigned drives won't mount

May 17 09:59:35 Zeus unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t xfs -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/sdj1' '/mnt/disks/WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0143001'
May 17 09:59:35 Zeus kernel: XFS (sdj1): Filesystem has duplicate UUID 94397054-2b25-409f-89c2-5901afb836b7 - can't mount
May 17 09:59:35 Zeus unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/sdj1' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0143001: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. 
May 17 09:59:35 Zeus unassigned.devices: Partition 'WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0143001' could not be mounted...

Thanks Squid, I'll try disabling spin down on the cache. I'm not worried about the disk that won't mount, it's on the way out and why the array was rebuilding. 

I'll also spin up in maintenance mode and check the file systems. 

So I tried setting the cache NVMEs to not spin down, I've uninstalled and reinstalled preclear disk, I've checked the file system of each disk in maintenance mode without the -n flag, I'm at a loss for what to do next.

I still get the email every day.

I figure it probably isn't the disks because I upgraded to 6.7 from 6.6.7 before I replaced disk 7 and it was after the 6.7 upgrade that the message started coming. 

What should I do next? I've attached a new diagnostics file.

zeus-diagnostics-20190521-0023.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Old thread but still relevant.  I'm on 6.5.0.

Randomly saw the other day that there was an update for cache_dirs available, which I thought was strange since it didn't look like there was really an update.  Update log still showed the last change at "2018.12.04 - Merged updates from Alex R. Berg" 

Never the less, I clicked up date, and now I've started also getting the etc/cron/daily email error with the following:

cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

error: Ignoring cache_dirs because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

Now considering there wasn't even an update for close to 2 years.. what could have actually changed in terms of the files?  Also what's this even referring to that requires a permission change?  Any help would be much appreciated.