Question regarding "Managing Game Libraries with unRAID User Shares"

luca2

Hi,

As Jon tells us in his youtube video regarding the Steam option you create a "game" share (cache only is selected for this share), then you assign it to Steam (SteamLibrary) and then you install the game in this share.

He says that if you will not use this game often, you can move it (using MC) from:

/mnt/caches/game/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/game1    to /mnt/disk1/games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/game1.

My doubts are:

-what properties does this last share have (/mnt/disk1/games....)?

-if I understood Jon, I just move the game to the /mnt/disk1/..  share and once I enter Steam and click on start game it will inmediatly start the game (that we have moved to /mnt/disk1/.. share?

Rgds

Hi,

As Jon tells us in his youtube video regarding the Steam option you create a "game" share (cache only is selected for this share), then you assign it to Steam (SteamLibrary) and then you install the game in this share.

He says that if you will not use this game often, you can move it (using MC) from:

/mnt/caches/game/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/game1    to /mnt/disk1/games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/game1.

My doubts are:

-if I understood Jon, I just move the game to the /mnt/disk1/..  share and once I enter Steam and click on start game it will inmediatly start the game (that we have moved to /mnt/disk1/.. share?

Rgds

Not an expert, but here's how I think this works.

The /mnt/disk1/games/ is not a separate share. You can't have 2 shares called games. You create a cache only share called games. Then you can manually add a /mnt/disk1/games folder and anything in that folder will automatically be part of the games share.

Hi,

My doubts are:

Rgds

Not an expert, but here's how I think this works.

The /mnt/disk1/games/ is not a separate share. You can't have 2 shares called games. You create a cache only share called games. Then you can manually add a /mnt/disk1/games folder and anything in that folder will automatically be part of the games share.

That's it, exactly. I'm just chiming in to remind the OP that precision is important to computers. He stated "/mnt/caches/game/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/game1    to /mnt/disk1/games/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/game1." That will NOT work. If the cache only share is game, you must match that exactly on disk1, and the cache disk is NOT /mnt/caches, it's /mnt/cache. Files in /mnt/cache/game and files in /mnt/disk1/game will both show up in /mnt/user/game. It won't work if you mix game and games.

I hope Jon or someone can explain this point in detail, since I miss something.

How is the /mnt/disk1/game... Share used in parallel with the one in the cache drive?

Files in /mnt/cache/game and files in /mnt/disk1/game will both show up in /mnt/user/game.

/mnt/user/game IS the share. You don't reference /mnt/disk1/games or /mnt/cache/games when accessing your files, only /mnt/user/games.

The video you originally referred to explains how to control which folders in the games share are on each physical disk.

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#User_shares

By setting a share as cache only, that's telling Unraid to put new stuff on the cache only. It doesn't tell Unraid to do anything with the old stuff.

It's like having a share that starts off including all disks with none excluded. Later on you change it to exclude disk3. Unraid will no longer put new stuff on disk3, but if the folder structure for that share is still on disk3, it's still included in the share. Unraid is not going to delete or move stuff off of disk3 just because you have now excluded it.

Hi, thx all for the answers.

Later on you change it to exclude disk3. Unraid will no longer put new stuff on disk3, but if the folder structure for that share is still on disk3, it's still included in the share. Unraid is not going to delete or move stuff off of disk3 just because you have now excluded it.

If the game has been moved from cache disk to disk3, should I specify in my share settings to use only disk3? At the beginning I had:

-included disks: all

-Use cache disk: only.

But now do I need to change it to this?:

-included disks: all (I assume Steam will access disk3 through /mnt/user/games)

-Use cache disk: no (so that all the writes while playing this game (i.e. download plugins) happen in disk3?)

Hi, thx all for the answers.

Later on you change it to exclude disk3. Unraid will no longer put new stuff on disk3, but if the folder structure for that share is still on disk3, it's still included in the share. Unraid is not going to delete or move stuff off of disk3 just because you have now excluded it.

If the game has been moved from cache disk to disk3, should I specify in my share settings to use only disk3? At the beginning I had:

-included disks: all

-Use cache disk: only.

But now do I need to change it to this?:

-included disks: all (I assume Steam will access disk3 through /mnt/user/games)

-Use cache disk: no (so that all the writes while playing this game (i.e. download plugins) happen in disk3?)

Nope. Keep it as cache only. (Assuming that you want new games to install to the cache first.) If a game is modifying files, it will modify them where they are. As far as downloading plugins, that gets beyond me. At worst if a plugin you downloaded for a game did get put on the cache drive and you wanted it on disk3, you would just move it to disk3 manually. (This may also be where I need to mention the user share copy bug? Only copy files from user share to user share or disk to disk. Do not copy files from user share to disk or from disk to user share or you risk losing data.)

Thx for clarification. I will keep on going and report back if anything happens.

Regarding the user share copy bug: does it arise when I copy form /mnt/cache to either any disk or share?

Rgds

from /mnt/cache/shareA to /mnt/user/shareA you will corrupt the file.  Use /mnt/user0/shareA if you want to avoid it