Order TV-Shows

MvL

I have several hdd with tv-shows and I noticed that a tv show is on several hdd's. Is it possible (with a tool) to do a sort of a balance that tv-shows are ordered. So for example Lost on hdd1, Battlestar Galatica on hdd2.

Sounds like you didn't set split level like it needs to be for that share. Turn on help and see what the settings page for that user share says about split level, also see the manual (link in lower right of webUI). It won't help get your shows back together but it will keep new ones from getting split.

Also... Think about why you want this... I also "balance" sometimes, but I must admit there is not a real reason to do it..  If you use the user shares you will not even notice this..

One reason would be binge-watching. Having the full TV show on one single disk ensures that the next episode is not on a spun down disk. :)

It takes approx 5 seconds to spin up a disk... so that wouldn"t be it I would guess..

Five seconds is absolutely noticeable, just long enough for someone to start worrying that something might have crashed. :P

And I would also note that not allowing folders to be split can lead to other problems, since it can force unRAID to try to write to a full disk.

Absolutely. I used to plan split levels for shares to keep stuff together and ended up having to check available space all the time... Allowing files to be split as required is way more convenient!

I'm usually happy with High Water and just rearranging a few files once or twice a year. Way less hassle for me, and typically fewer disks spinning at any one time.

It takes approx 5 seconds to spin up a disk... so that wouldn"t be it I would guess..

Five seconds is absolutely noticeable, just long enough for someone to start worrying that something might have crashed. :P

And I would also note that not allowing folders to be split can lead to other problems, since it can force unRAID to try to write to a full disk.

Absolutely. I used to plan split levels for shares to keep stuff together and ended up having to check available space all the time... Allowing files to be split as required is way more convenient!

I'm usually happy with High Water and just rearranging a few files once or twice a year. Way less hassle for me, and typically fewer disks spinning at any one time.

High Water is a source of confusion. I like to describe it as a good compromise between spreading the files around without switching disks too frequently. It is the default setting for a good reason.

And Minimum Free also confuses people. unRAID doesn't pick a disk that is large enough has enough free to hold the file that will be written because it doesn't know how large the file will be. Instead it picks a disk that hasn't gone below Minimum Free yet. So, always set Minimum Free to be larger than any file you will write.