any way to bring up FS without license key?

I had to replace both USB Keys on my fathers unRaid servers because they died. I contacted the support for replacement keys 4 days ago but haven't had a reply since then. My father is without backup and can't access his files now - which is quite a hassle. Any idea what I can do to access the files at least without breaking the array?

sadly, I am running still unRaid 5.0.6 on these boxes. I only posted here because I think the other forums are abandoned. But this would be a good opportunity to upgrade I guess. In case something like this happens again. We are more or less offline since 4 days now. I don't really want to pull a HDD out of the box to mount in locally somewhere.

... if you're not certain of the disk assignments, just assign everything as a data drive with NO parity drive assigned.  Then when you Start the array, the drive that shows as "unformatted" will be the parity drive.  Stop the array; do a New Config and assign that drive as parity and the rest as data, and you'll be ready to go.

I took screenshots of the disk assignment, so I should be able to get it right.

But that is actually good advice.

I'm not physically on site now, I only have remote access through a gateway system (which would be enough to scp the key file to the USB), so I am not sure I can do the upgrade remotely while the box is running. If I don't hear back from support soon, I will have to try this. I wanted to avoid upgrading to 6x because 5x has been running perfectly and I feared that our hardware might not be fast enough for 6x. But I guess I will give it a try then.

Attaching the HDDs directly is my last resort. I know it works, but I have no idea what is stored on which HDD. It would be quite a hassle to set this up for my father now.

If you create a v6 flash drive and do the key replacement process; then decide that v6 runs too slowly on your hardware, you can save the new key; then reformat that flash drive and put the v5 files on it; and copy the new key to it -- and it will then run v5 just fine.  The key file is not version-dependent.

You can overwrite the files while UnRAID is running -- but the new files won't be used until the server is rebooted.    This would let you, for example, change from v6 to v5, or vice-versa, remotely.    But of course you can't remotely create the new USB key that you'll initially need to boot from.

Currently the USB is plugged in with v5 files. I have access to the web interface, ssh and the remote management, so I can reboot the server. In theory I can just overwrite the files with v6, reboot the server and hope for the best. It can't get any worse than this.

Though the best solution would be, just to get the new license keys, scp them to the USB and reboot the server and have a working v5 again.