Calling all Plex Pass members...tell me about Plex DVR and Plex for Kodi

johnodon

I'm considering biting the bullet and FINALLY buying a Plex Pass and I am looking for feedback:

1.  I really need to know if Plex DVR is a viable solution for replacing my TVH docker and clients/addons.  Is the product mature/stable enough at this point and does it have the same core feature set (particularly series recording)?  (fyi...I understand that it does not have Live TV capability which is a non-factor for me...there are other options for that)

2.  I most definitely want to give the official Plex for Kodi addon (https://www.plex.tv/apps/computer/kodi/) a whirl which is only available to Plex Pass members as a beta (now I am using OpenPHT for this exact reason).  Who has tried and what is your experience?

John

I'm considering biting the bullet and FINALLY buying a Plex Pass and I am looking for feedback:

1.  I really need to know if Plex DVR is a viable solution for replacing my TVH docker and clients/addons.  Is the product mature/stable enough at this point and does it have the same core feature set (particularly series recording)?  (fyi...I understand that it does not have Live TV capability which is a non-factor for me...there are other options for that)

2.  I most definitely want to give the official Plex for Kodi addon a whirl which is only available to Plex Pass members as a beta (now I am using OpenPHT for this exact reason).  Who has tried and what is your experience?

John

I haven't tried it, but I'm still going to chime in. Since it's still in beta I would say it's not mature yet.

I have a copy of the Kodi Plex plugin... is it OK to post a link here?

Just to be clear...

I am referring to the *official* Plex addon for Kodi (not PlexKodiConnect...or whatever it is called):  https://www.plex.tv/apps/computer/kodi/  Are you referring to the same?

If you are talking about the official one, wouldn't it do some kind of validation to make sure you are a Plex Pass subscriber?

John

you are talking about the official one, wouldn't it do some kind of validation to make sure you are a Plex Pass subscriber?

I wouldnt assume that. If they did that for anything you'd think it'd be the Server installer, but nope.

But you can install this addon from that official Kodi repo.  However, on first launch it tells you that it is currently only for plex pass subscribers.

I tried the Plex DVR Beta for awhile, but ended up going back to a TVHeadend Docker for recording OTA.  I like the built inability to (thru Kodi) to watch live TV, and using Kodi interface to view programming guide (in a grid) and select programs to record.  The Plex DVR worked, it recorded everything I selected, but I don't care for the user interface and you can only configure the DVR thru the Plex Webgui, not from any of the Plex clients.  Also the LSIO TVHeadend Docker includes comskip which I have configured to remove commercials from my OTA recordings.

I have also been testing the Plex for Kodi plugin (on SPMC on a Nvidia Shield TV and SPMC on FireTV).  It is still a work in progress, but mostly everything works and have only had a few minor issues with it.  I expect it will continue to get better with the active development on it and I expect it may become my primary Plex client in the future.  I have the Nvidia Shield TV autoboot into SPMC when it turns on, and I have the Plex for Kodi autostart into Plex when Kodi starts.

I tried the Plex DVR Beta for awhile, but ended up going back to a TVHeadend Docker for recording OTA.  I like the built inability to (thru Kodi) to watch live TV, and using Kodi interface to view programming guide (in a grid) and select programs to record.  The Plex DVR worked, it recorded everything I selected, but I don't care for the user interface and you can only configure the DVR thru the Plex Webgui, not from any of the Plex clients.  Also the LSIO TVHeadend Docker includes comskip which I have configured to remove commercials from my OTA recordings.

I have also been testing the Plex for Kodi plugin (on SPMC on a Nvidia Shield TV and SPMC on FireTV).  It is still a work in progress, but mostly everything works and have only had a few minor issues with it.  I expect it will continue to get better with the active development on it and I expect it may become my primary Plex client in the future.  I have the Nvidia Shield TV autoboot into SPMC when it turns on, and I have the Plex for Kodi autostart into Plex when Kodi starts.

Thanks JE.  This is exactly the feedback that I am looking for.

Live TV is not an issue for me.  I'll use the HD Homerun plugin or Live Channels in Android TV for that.  Since I am the only one who sets up recordings, I'm sure I'll be able to navigate the interface fine.

As for the Plex plugin, does it allow for "Play from here"?  This is an absolute necessity for me when setting up stuff for my kids to watch so I am not running into their room every 20 minutes.  :)

John

Thanks JE.  This is exactly the feedback that I am looking for.

Live TV is not an issue for me.  I'll use the HD Homerun plugin or Live Channels in Android TV for that.  Since I am the only one who sets up recordings, I'm sure I'll be able to navigate the interface fine.

As for the Plex plugin, does it allow for "Play from here"?  This is an absolute necessity for me when setting up stuff for my kids to watch so I am not running into their room every 20 minutes.  :)

John

I rarely watch any live TV except for sports, but I do like the ability of Kodi/TVHeadend to pause and rewind and start watching a program while it is still recording.  With the Plex DVR you can't watch the file until the recording has completed.  I have tried a couple channels for Plex to view live TV from the HDHomerun and found them a poor substitute for the Kodi interface (too many button presses to get to what I want to watch).

One of the biggest complaints on the Plex DVR forum is that Plex provides EPG data with your PlexPass subscription, but does not provide the epg in a grid format like most people are used to because of patents on that format.  To select a program to record you have to find it or search for it by name, and not by selecting by channel/time.

I don't understand your "Play from here" question.  When using the Plex for Kodi plugin it is just like using any other Plex client.  The presentation is similar to other Plex clients and once you select the video you want to watch you just press Play.

I don't understand your "Play from here" question.  When using the Plex for Kodi plugin it is just like using any other Plex client.  The presentation is similar to other Plex clients and once you select the video you want to watch you just press Play.

i.e. if you bring up the context menu on a TV Episode, you have an option to "play from here".  This tells Kodi to continue playing subsequent episodes automatically when that one is finished.

i.e. if you bring up the context menu on a TV Episode, you have an option to "play from here".  This tells Kodi to continue playing subsequent episodes automatically when that one is finished.

Sorry, I don't know.  I personally hate when the next episode starts playing automatically and always look for the config options to turn that feature off!