Preclear plugin

Guys, I've just being alerted of this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26121.0

So I removed the plugin link until I get a response from Joe L.

I think that this is a good idea at the present time until Joe responds, better that you work together to find a mutually agreeable way to approach this, that's why I let you know.  I don't think there is a real need to post the thread involved though.  Water under the bridge and all.  ;)

Ok, done!

###2015.05.20

- Remove preclear script from package. It must be manually added to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

No notifications yet and no fast post-read verification, but everything else is working.

I think this was a wise decision. Hopefully JoeL will be happy with this.  It would be a shame for two people who are both working so tirelessly for a common goal to disagree.

Ok, done!

###2015.05.20

- Remove preclear script from package. It must be manually added to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

No notifications yet and no fast post-read verification, but everything else is working.

I think this was a wise decision. Hopefully JoeL will be happy with this.  It would be a shame for two people who are both working so tirelessly for a common goal to disagree.

Yep, that why I removed. Let's not poison the well.

In the past, when I made changes to the script, I sent them to Joe L. with a request that he accept it as the supported version. He did several times several years back.

But he did NOT accept the fast preclear as it included a binary component and he felt would be a maintenance issue for him. He was considering using badblocks within preclear to provide a similar speed bump as my approach. But it didn't materialize for a lengthy period, and I got so many requests that I released the fast preclear with specific feedback that it was not supported by Joe L. I have not gotten any feedback from Joe L. or request to take it down. He is the preclear author and I would certainly respect his wishes.

Joe may not like the your "Y" option. If you look in my script you'll see I had a similar feature but tried to make it stealthy. Joe L. never commented on this change.

Joe L. has been a little scarce (last login may 9) but still participates and may respond if you send him a proposed new version of the script.

As already communicated, I would be happy to include your slight change to the fast preclear script. I think providing this as a plugin is a great service to unRAID users. Since the fast preclear is already "out there", I don't think including the change makes anything worse.

In the past, when I made changes to the script, I sent them to Joe L. with a request that he accept it as the supported version. He did several times several years back.

But he did NOT accept the fast preclear as it included a binary component and he felt would be a maintenance issue for him. He was considering using badblocks within preclear to provide a similar speed bump as my approach. But it didn't materialize for a lengthy period, and I got so many requests that I released the fast preclear with specific feedback that it was not supported by Joe L. I have not gotten any feedback from Joe L. or request to take it down. He is the preclear author and I would certainly respect his wishes.

Joe may not like the your "Y" option. If you look in my script you'll see I had a similar feature but tried to make it stealthy. Joe L. never commented on this change.

Joe L. has been a little scarce (last login may 9) but still participates and may respond if you send him a proposed new version of the script.

As already communicated, I would be happy to include your slight change to the fast preclear script. I think providing this as a plugin is a great service to unRAID users. Since the fast preclear is already "out there", I don't think including the change makes anything worse.

I have taken to using your fast preclear as the default since you released it, preclearing is always a bit of a bind, and I always leave it to the moment when I'm desperate for space, witht he huge drives we have these days I think the fast preclear is the way forward.

Maybe, just maybe, the use of some versions of the script can unlock hidden features....

Hey!

Thanks for this plugin.  :) I have a question about the read speed. As you can see in the screenshot the preclear status shows a read speed of 81MB/s but if I open the preview window by clicking on the eye icon it says the read speed is 11,2 MB/s  :o I'm confused  ???

Screenshot_Kopie.jpg.92c007eaa3c50164c9c29f359636e6f2.jpg

I am having difficulty with the plugin. It could be I do not know enough and I am not properly installing it.

When I install the plugin I get 3 uzipped files placed into Flash/Config/Plugins (see Attachment)

Two of the files are empty

tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz

libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz

I can unzip the remaining file and get the following Install message

Verifying package tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz.

xz: (stdin): File format not recognized

Installing package tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

WARNING: Package has not been created with 'makepkg'

Package tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz installed.

plugin: downloading: /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz ... done

+==============================================================================

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz

Verifying package libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz.

Installing package libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Package libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz installed.

chmod: cannot access '/usr/local/sbin/readvz': No such file or directory

When I attempt to run the plugin I get :

PreClear  Script not Present

There is conflicting instructions on where to place the Preclear_disk.sh file

The writer says:

Download it to your PC, un-zip it there, then copy preclear_disk.sh to your flash drive to the same folder that currently has bzroot and bzimage.

On linux, that folder would be

/boot

From windows file-explorer,the folder would be at

\\tower\flash

if you just plug the flash drive into your windows PC, it will be the top level folder on the drive.

And the OP says:

Please put a copy of the script to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

I do not have a /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory

Only config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory

So I am totally confused.

Thanks

Preclear_Problem.PNG.b3af8d4c654a032f3626d722e478b827.PNG

I am having difficulty with the plugin. It could be I do not know enough and I am not properly installing it.

When I install the plugin I get 3 uzipped files placed into Flash/Config/Plugins (see Attachment)

tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

plugin: downloading: /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

The writer says:

Download it to your PC, un-zip it there, then copy preclear_disk.sh to your flash drive to the same folder that currently has bzroot and bzimage.

/boot

\\tower\flash

if you just plug the flash drive into your windows PC, it will be the top level folder on the drive.

And the OP says:

Please put a copy of the script to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

Thanks

Zero-length files on flash are often a sign of corruption. Put in your PC and let it checkdisk.

tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

The writer says:

/boot

\\tower\flash

And the OP says:

Thanks

Zero-length files on flash are often a sign of corruption. Put in your PC and let it checkdisk.

Did a DSKCHK from the command line on my PC

No Problems were found

I tried again to install Preclear and it did the same thing.

tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz              File size 0

libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz    File size 0

And it places the third file.... preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz into the folder Preclear Disk with out extracting

Is there someway to verify the plugin download is running correctly

Your first post to this thread said

Installed as per the URL above and the installation went without any errors.

Just to clarify, do you mean you pasted the URL into the Install Plugins page, or did you try to save it to the plugins folder yourself?

Just to clarify, do you mean you pasted the URL into the Install Plugins page, or did you try to save it to the plugins folder yourself?

I pasted this into the Plugin area  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

Your previous download was incomplete. Delete the folder /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk (/boot = your flash drive) and re-install using the plugin manager.

I pasted this into the Plugin area  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

Your previous download was incomplete. Delete the folder /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk (/boot = your flash drive) and re-install using the plugin manager.

I do not have /boot/config/plugins folder  ??

I do have config/plugins folder

I deleted the preclear.disk folder,rebooted the server

And reinstalled the plugin

Here is the install log

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

plugin: downloading: /tmp/plugins/preclear.disk.plg ... done

plugin: downloading: /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz

Verifying package preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz.

Installing package preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

Package preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz installed.

plugin: downloading: /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz ... done

| Installing new package /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

-----------------------------------------------------------

preclear.disk has been installed.

This plugin requires Dynamix webGui to operate

Copyright 2015, gfjardim

Version: 2015.05.20b

-----------------------------------------------------------

plugin: installed

Done

I see several errors but do not understand why.

The result is a preclear.diskfolder containing

libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz            file size    0

tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz                    file size    0

preclear.disk-2015.05.20b.txz            file size  95

None of the files have been unpacked

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic