Preclear plugin

There is this in your syslog:

May 30 15:50:37 Tower logger: Installing user plugins
May 30 15:50:37 Tower logger: plugin: installing: /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.plg
May 30 15:50:37 Tower logger: plugin: not installing older version

That is not likely to be the problem but it does make me wonder what else you may still have on your flash that shouldn't be there.

Nothing about FAT in the syslog though so I guess there is no corruption on the flash.

Please go to Tools - System Log and click the Download button and post.

Here is the syslog

I don't see anything wrong, but the download must be failing for some reason...

Are you able to SSH/telnet in or try these commands from the console to see if any errors come back:

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-14.1/slackware64/ap/tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-14.1/slackware64/l/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz

This basically manually (re)downloads those 0-sized packages you're seeing

Is bjp999's preclear script included in your plugin package or do we just pick which one and copy it to config\plugins\preclear.disk ?

It's not included, but just pick one and copy it to config\plugins\preclear.disk\

After copying, make sure it's named preclear_disk.sh (not preclear_bjp.sh)

Please go to Tools - System Log and click the Download button and post.

Here is the syslog

I don't see anything wrong, but the download must be failing for some reason...

Are you able to SSH/telnet in or try these commands from the console to see if any errors come back:

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-14.1/slackware64/ap/tmux-1.8-x86_64-1.txz

wget -O /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-14.1/slackware64/l/libevent-2.0.21-x86_64-1.txz

This basically manually (re)downloads those 0-sized packages you're seeing

I tried using your recommendation and the 2 files I downloaded and received were only 1kb in size.

I don't understand why I am having a problem downloading only those  2 files or why the plugin does not install correctly.

I was hoping the OP could enlighten me on the problem.

I went directly to the Slackware site and downloaded the 3 correct txz files.

Can you or someone advise me what directory or folder names to use and where to place the files after unpacking them.

Currently I have them in separate folders.

libevent

tmux

usr

All in the preclear.disk folder which also includes the file for preclear_disk.sh

The plugin will go to Starting but does not run.

And eventually I stop it within the plugin

my plugin setup that is working just fine for reference

Morbidpete

Thank you for the setup info.

I got it working.

Your setup info resolved what to do with the 3 txz files needed.

I was never able to resolve why when I ran the plugin 2 of the 3 txz files were empty. But I was able to get the correct files by going directly to the Slackware site and add them after installing the plugin.

The final thing I found and this is really stupid on my part.

I am using Adblockplus and it stopped me from receiving the preclear messages from within the Chrome browser.

Turning it off for the Tower pages solved the last problem.

Thanks again for all who stepped in to help.

Just wondering, I am able to kick off the process but then under the plugin the Disk disappears after some time, saying No unassigned disks available.... however in the Main page I see "preclear in progress...Creating Boot Record ? Partition Table (0:31:50)"

Does this mean it is running or is not and is it expected behavior to not be listed under your plugin once its kicked off?

I am using Joe's 1.15 version script (assumed this was the latest).

I am seeing this in my sys logs:

Jun 3 16:10:25 Hades kernel: program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO

This isn't a new drive but a drive moved from my PC where it was working fine prior.

And some more information, I tried running it via putty and watching the system logs... Although Preclear is running I got this in my syslogs...

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x800000 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: irq_stat 0x40000008
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: cmd 60/08:b8:88:57:08/00:00:00:00:00/40 tag 23 ncq 4096 in
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: res 41/40:00:88:57:08/00:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x409 (media error)
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: error: { UNC }
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: configured for UDMA/133
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 Sense Key : 0x3 [current] [descriptor]
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x4
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 08 57 88 00 00 08 00
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdh, sector 546696
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdh, logical block 68337, async page read
Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9: EH complete

Is this drive a lost cause or could it also be the SATA port its snapped into? It was a tough snap in so I am wondering if I damaged something maybe?

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x800000 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: irq_stat 0x40000008

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: cmd 60/08:b8:88:57:08/00:00:00:00:00/40 tag 23 ncq 4096 in

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: res 41/40:00:88:57:08/00:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x409 (media error)

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: status: { DRDY ERR }

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: error: { UNC }

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9.00: configured for UDMA/133

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 Sense Key : 0x3 [current] [descriptor]

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 ASC=0x11 ASCQ=0x4

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdh] tag#23 CDB: opcode=0x28 28 00 00 08 57 88 00 00 08 00

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdh, sector 546696

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sdh, logical block 68337, async page read

Jun 3 16:24:57 Hades kernel: ata9: EH complete

Is this drive a lost cause or could it also be the SATA port its snapped into? It was a tough snap in so I am wondering if I damaged something maybe?

The 'media error' with 'UNC' (UNCorrectable) indicates a bad sector, so the port would not matter.  If sdh is the drive you are Preclearing, then you should probably Preclear it one more time, after this session completes, and make sure that Current Pending Sectors is zero on the final SMART report.

Ok, done!

###2015.05.20

- Remove preclear script from package. It must be manually added to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

No notifications yet and no fast post-read verification, but everything else is working.

I got it set up and all seems to work as should with one exception,I get no option for mail. Systems notification are enabled in unraid and I do receive them.

Is there something else I need to do?

nevermind..... I didnt read the thread as thoroughly as I thought. 

I sure hope that what ever coordination needs to take place and agreed to can happen so the features like notifications that are built into V6 can be utilized. Never could get them to work with V5 so not getting any is something im used to.....

This is definitely a very nice plugin. Thank You!

Love the Plugin.... Easy as can be... using it for first time to pre-clear a 4TB drive.

I do have one enhancement suggestion:

There is the drop-down list that lest you choose the different actions to perform (clear, test, ?, etc.). It would be very helpful to have a description that clearly states what each of these options do. When, why, and how you would use each of the options listed.

This is more of a reference than a functional feature. It would really help the non-power-experts.

Thanks for this!!

I do have one enhancement suggestion:

There is the drop-down list that lest you choose the different actions to perform (clear, test, ?, etc.). It would be very helpful to have a description that clearly states what each of these options do. When, why, and how you would use each of the options listed.

I very much agree! Maybe tie it into the "help" button?

Did you add the preclear_disk.sh script to the config/plugins/preclear.disk folder ?

If you have a popup or any Ad Blockers you have to turn them off for this page

Sometimes I have to multiple click the Start Preclear button

Your preclear.disk folder should be like the one above in reply #60 from morbidpete

And make sure the file sizes match the ones in reply #60 as I could not download them via the plug in an had to manually download them. 

Yes, I am seeing the same thing!  I just installed on my Test Bed Server to evaluate.  this double/multiple-clicking is confusing to say the least.  It seems to me that every place a single click is only required in the GUI.  Or is it that there is a 'lag' until things start to happen with slower machines.

I have a big second for getting some help into the plugin as the GUI provides an easy(?) way to provide it.  The 'convert to start a sector of 63/64' particularly needs an explanation.  Most users will have absolutely no idea what those options are even referring to!

But a excellent job on something that has been needed for a long time.  Running the preclear script from the command line may be something that old UNIX/Linux command-line gurus love but it is a real hassle for most of us. (I have a couple of ten page printouts which walk me through it every time I have to do it!)  Your plugin only needs a bit more polishing to knock off a couple of rough edges and it should be ready for the big time. 

The plugin has been working very well, I managed to preclear more than 10 disks with it - no problems so far.

Only cosmetic issue is that upon completion it displays "Preclear Successful^n Total TIme xxx^n ...etc". Basically there is an extra "^n" after each string.

This has been happening on recent Chrome versions each time.

Thanks for the plugin!

The plugin has been working very well, I managed to preclear more than 10 disks with it - no problems so far.

Only cosmetic issue is that upon completion it displays "Preclear Successful^n Total TIme xxx^n ...etc". Basically there is an extra "^n" after each string.

This has been happening on recent Chrome versions each time.

Thanks for the plugin!

It's a new line markup from the Preclear script. I will remove them soon.

Yes, I am seeing the same thing!  I just installed on my Test Bed Server to evaluate.  this double/multiple-clicking is confusing to say the least.  It seems to me that every place a single click is only required in the GUI.  Or is it that there is a 'lag' until things start to happen with slower machines.

I also have problems clicking on start preclear or the eye to get the status. Sometimes it's not working at all no matter how many times I click. This is on Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m and Internet Exploder 11. After trying in Firefox every browser seems to work again.

After the preclear has started and I try to click the eye, it's back to the same problem. Using Firefox makes the other browsers work again also, but I might have to click it twice sometimes to get it to pop up.

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic