Preclear plugin

Trying to use this on a new 4TB drive and nothing happens.

I used it about a month ago and it ran fine. I have the scripts in the correct location as well.

-----

Update:

Delete and reinstalled plugin and it works.

JUst update it to be compliant with unRAID 6.1

I'm just having a problem with installing this one via telnet...

I get the 'bad download, deleting' error :(

I'm in root@... /boot/config/plugins

I can download fine with wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg --no-check-certificate

Then running this line errors:

installplg /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

installing plugin: preclear.disk

file /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/preclear.disk-2015.07.23.txz: downloading from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/archive/preclear.disk-2015.07.23.txz ... ERROR: cannot verify raw.githubusercontent.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 High Assurance Server CA':

Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.

ERROR: certificate common name `www.github.com' doesn't match requested host name `raw.githubusercontent.com'.

To connect to raw.githubusercontent.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

bad download, deleting

I'm just having a problem with installing this one via telnet...

I get the 'bad download, deleting' error :(

I'm in root@... /boot/config/plugins

I can download fine with wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg --no-check-certificate

Then running this line errors:

installplg /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

installing plugin: preclear.disk

file /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/preclear.disk-2015.07.23.txz: downloading from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/archive/preclear.disk-2015.07.23.txz ... ERROR: cannot verify raw.githubusercontent.com's certificate, issued by `/C=US/O=DigiCert Inc/OU=www.digicert.com/CN=DigiCert SHA2 High Assurance Server CA':

Unable to locally verify the issuer's authority.

ERROR: certificate common name `www.github.com' doesn't match requested host name `raw.githubusercontent.com'.

To connect to raw.githubusercontent.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

bad download, deleting

Why aren't you installing it from the GUI Install Plugins page?

Why aren't you installing it from the GUI Install Plugins page?

I'm still running V5

Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think v6 plugins are backwards compatible with v5.

I decided to go the old school preclear_disk.sh script route via telnet.

Once it's all done I'll update unraid to V6 and try the plugin install again :)

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than Preclear Successful, it should have told me that Preclear was successful, but your disk is starting to fail.

The plugin reports

ST3000DM001-9YN166_W1F0MED2

Preclear Successful

... Total time 24:27:20

... Pre-Read time 7:06:20 (117 MB/s)

... Zeroing time 5:11:10 (160 MB/s)

... Post-Read time 12:08:51 (68 MB/s)

But it doesn't note that the disk is beginning to fail (the number of reallocated sectors is not zero and increasing ) :

0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,

the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.

384 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.

400 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

a change of 16 in the number of sectors re-allocated.

Rather than Preclear Successful, it should have told me that Preclear was successful, but your disk is starting to fail.

The plugin reports

ST3000DM001-9YN166_W1F0MED2

Preclear Successful

... Total time 24:27:20

... Pre-Read time 7:06:20 (117 MB/s)

... Zeroing time 5:11:10 (160 MB/s)

... Post-Read time 12:08:51 (68 MB/s)

But it doesn't note that the disk is beginning to fail (the number of reallocated sectors is not zero and increasing ) :

0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,

the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.

384 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.

400 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

a change of 16 in the number of sectors re-allocated.

This is exported by the preclear script since bjp999 added support for myMain. I'll make some mods and submit to Joe L. again.

Thanks for reporting.

Thanks for reporting.

I'm not reporting a bug, but more wanting to start a debate about what should this plugin report in cases where the number of reallocated sectors is not zero and actually is increasing.  We need Joe L and the other drive experts to weigh in...

1. Case where the number of reallocated sectors is zero before and zero after - no debate.  Drive is good

2. Some reallocated sectors, but they are stable and not increasing. - Some debate, should the plugin report this??

3. Some reallocated sectors and more are found during the preclear.  - The drive is not healthy.  Should it be used?  Is it dying??

2. Some reallocated sectors, but they are stable and not increasing. - Some debate, should the plugin report this??

Without a doubt.  People need to know the status of the drive they are going to trust to reliably store data.

3. Some reallocated sectors and more are found during the preclear.  - The drive is not healthy.  Should it be used?  Is it dying??

Again, it should be reported.  I don't know if it should say the drive is not healthy unless there is a FAILING attribute.

If there are 'still' pending sectors, that would be an indication the drive is not reliable for unRAID.

I would not be at all in favor of equating a single small increase in reallocated sectors with drive failure (although it could be for that specific drive model ST3000DM001!).  A continuous increase is certainly a bad sign, but not a single small increase.  There are thousands more spares available.  It's more like a symptom of aging, we're all failing a bit each day that passes, once we pass our teen age years.

What I WOULD agree with, after any increase in reallocated sectors or any change (even for the better) in Current Pending sectors and of course any non-zero Current Pending sectors, is a statement that another Preclear or two is recommended.  You want to detect whether it's stable now, or continuing to reallocate (which WOULD be bad).

I'm not reporting a bug, but more wanting to start a debate about what should this plugin report in cases where the number of reallocated sectors is not zero and actually is increasing.  We need Joe L and the other drive experts to weigh in...

1. Case where the number of reallocated sectors is zero before and zero after - no debate.  Drive is good

I think that is should be noted as      'Advisory-- This drive is currently stable and could be used.'

I think this condition should be noted as      'Warning-- This drive is not currently stable and additional testing is warranted before using in an array!.'

Now that 6.1 has been released, are there any plans to bring this plugin into compliance?

It is compliant. It doesn't use exec.php or any executables outside /plugins/<plugin>/scripts .

Thank you!  I have a new 3TB WD Red on order and will be using it to preclear that drive.  (Otherwise, I was planning to roll back to 6.0.1)

EDIT:  You should see about getting this thread moved from the 'Unverified' to 'Verified' section of Plugins (V6)!

I am posting about an issue that I am having using the Preclear plugin (2015.09.08) and unRAID (Ver 6.1.1).  Unfortunately, I am unable to attached a screen capture to clearly illustrate what is going on. So I going to do a copy-and-paste to illustrate the problem.  (Even this is difficult as the screen keeping updating every few seconds.) This short copy is a portion of the entire display that shows about bit more than one of the typical screen (that JoeL's preclear script generates)  that is normally displayed.  The entire display contains about eight to ten of these screens of information separated by the update time (and information) being a few seconds apart. 

= Step 7 of 10 - Setting partition 1 to precleared state        DONE
= Step 8 of 10 - Notifying kernel we changed the partitioning   DONE
= Step 9 of 10 - Creating the /dev/disk/by* entries             DONE
= Step 10 of 10 - Verifying if the MBR is cleared.              DONE
= Post-Read in progress: 25% complete.
(  756,138,598,400  of  3,000,592,982,016  bytes read ) 131 MB/s
Disk Temperature: 33C, Elapsed Time:  18:55:23
================================================================== 1.15
=                unRAID server Pre-Clear disk /dev/sdf
=               cycle 1 of 3, partition start on sector 1
= Disk Pre-Clear-Read completed                                 DONE
= Step 1 of 10 - Copying zeros to first 2048k bytes             DONE
= Step 2 of 10 - Copying zeros to remainder of disk to clear it DONE
= Step 3 of 10 - Disk is now cleared from MBR onward.           DONE
= Step 4 of 10 - Clearing MBR bytes for partition 2,3 & 4       DONE
= Step 5 of 10 - Clearing MBR code area                         DONE
= Step 6 of 10 - Setting MBR signature bytes                    DONE
= Step 7 of 10 - Setting partition 1 to precleared state        DONE
= Step 8 of 10 - Notifying kernel we changed the partitioning   DONE
= Step 9 of 10 - Creating the /dev/disk/by* entries             DONE
= Step 10 of 10 - Verifying if the MBR is cleared.              DONE
= Post-Read in progress: 25% complete.
(  756,338,688,000  of  3,000,592,982,016  bytes read ) 115 MB/s
Disk Temperature: 33C, Elapsed Time:  18:55:27
================================================================== 1.15
=                unRAID server Pre-Clear disk /dev/sdf
=    

Any comment you might have on this issue and its solution would be appreciated.

Frank

Frank

It's a bug i'm chasing. unRAID 6.1.1 don't have the correct terminal descriptor in place, so I had to include ncurses on the package. Or you started your preclear session before I update the package to 2015.09.08 or it's still broken.

Frank

It's a bug i'm chasing. unRAID 6.1.1 don't have the correct terminal descriptor in place, so I had to include ncurses on the package. Or you started your preclear session before I update the package to 2015.09.08 or it's still broken.

As a point of information, I started this preclear session yesterday and the update to the 2015.09.08 version was done on 2015.09.09 prior to this session.  I wanted to make sure that you were aware of the issue.  I hope you find the source of the problem so it can be corrected. 

Thanks again for all your work in getting this GUI interface for the preclear script.

PS--- I can recall that there was some type of message generated during the install that the ncurses package all ready existed and the installation was being skipped. 

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic