Preclear plugin

Testing a preclear job now on a HGST 6tb drive

unraid 6.2.2

preclear 2016.9.26b

Plugin working fine so far.

Preclear job completed successfully - no issues

Good to hear, but you're not using the latest version of the plugin. I wonder if 2016.09.27 is broken in some way.

Per the unraid gui, plugin tab, I have the latest version, says No Update available.  So I have the  current release.

Not true. A small bug was introduced in 2016.9.26b which prevents that version to update. Please consider reinstalling the plugin to reenable the update detection.

I have a problem with one server in that it is running out of log space. My investigation reveals a rapidly growing /var/log/preclear.disk.log file. My other servers don't have this file at all, but they don't have any unassigned devices either. Whenever the Main window of the GUI is open, or when I go to Tools -> Preclear Disks I get four entries added to the aforementioned log file every ten seconds:

Found your issue. Will be fixed in the next update.

The plugin doesn't work for me in 6.3.0rc2 - it gets stuck on 'please wait retrieving information!'

This is a bug introduced by PHP 7 dropping "split" function. Fixed.

Preclear just doesn't seem to like me much lately...

I've launched a preclear on a drive that, admittedly, I've had other trouble with.

This time, I've started the preclear with the drive attached to a USB3.0 -> SATA adapter, and the drive is outside the case. I started the preclear on 10/21 at 06:41 local, and it seems to have hung after 7 hours of processing at 20% complete (first attachment). I kept seeing that it was running at 32MB/s and thought that was insanely slow, but didn't register that it was also only reporting 7 hours of processing time when it's been nearly 36 hours since I launched the preclear, therefore, I've just left it running while doing other stuff.

The log reports that it couldn't allocate memory and, therefore, there was a script error (second attachment). I've got 8GB of RAM in the box, but I do have a bunch of dockers running (see .sig).

A) It would be nice if the script could be made a bit more robust to capture these errors and not just hang. Easier said than done, I understand.

B) Is is possible to copy text from the log window? Firefox just doesn't seem to want to let me do that, hence the screen cap instead.

C) What do I need to do now? I presume that I need to just stop the preclear (though I had issues with that previously and ended up having to power off the machine with a long-press of the power button, and would like to avoid that again if possible).

Do I simply not have enough RAM to support the configuration I'm attempting to run?

I readily acknowledge that there could simply be issues with the drive, having had a bit of a smoke (see first link), but it does seem to have passed SMART testing. I'd like to make a rather thorough test of the drive before giving up on it, since it's passed HGST's tests, they won't RMA it, even through it's still under warranty.

A) Those OOM errors can't be easily caught, but I just changed loads of code and the memory footprint has lowered more than 100x in my testings;

B) This is because the page updates so fast it's nearly impossible to select anything. I'll search a way to make this possible;

However after using his code via putty session, my drives don't magically start showing the S.M.A.R.T. status as his do... 

They actually disappear from the list of drives with in the Pre-Clear Plugin, at which point I have to reboot the server to have the plugin list the drives again.

I would like to expand upon his statement, that there is no "Pre-Clear Start" report generated.  Maybe I'm missing something, or perhaps this is also another bug I am experiencing, but Having a Start and End report is quite valuable, I would think?

I frankly just don't have anymore time to put into this.  I'll continue to initiate Pre-Clear Via Putty. ... Bummer.

I changed the SMART device type detection in the next update. If you could test it then....

I have a problem with one server in that it is running out of log space. My investigation reveals a rapidly growing /var/log/preclear.disk.log file. My other servers don't have this file at all, but they don't have any unassigned devices either. Whenever the Main window of the GUI is open, or when I go to Tools -> Preclear Disks I get four entries added to the aforementioned log file every ten seconds:

Found your issue. Will be fixed in the next update.

Excellent news! Thank you.

[glow=red,2,300]UPDATE:[/glow]

- Add: Copy to Clipboard button on Preview window

- Fix: unescaped quotes breaking read of "state.ini" file

- Fix: remove PHP "split" function due deprecation

- Fix: script - better SMART detection

- Fix: script - greatly improve speed and memory footprint in read operations

- Fix: script - faster display refresh

I was an early adopter of this lovely plugin... which means I have been using Joe L.s script...

I see that you have script fixes in the latest update....

Does this front-end now utilize the quick preclear script?

Does it use your preclear script automatically over Joe L.s manual drop in script?

I just want to ensure that I am taking advantage of all the great tweaks you are providing ;)

Thanks!

I was an early adopter of this lovely plugin... which means I have been using Joe L.s script...

I see that you have script fixes in the latest update....

Does this front-end now utilize the quick preclear script?

Does it use your preclear script automatically over Joe L.s manual drop in script?

I just want to ensure that I am taking advantage of all the great tweaks you are providing ;)

Thanks!

1) the quick preclear script by bjp999 has always being supported. The procedure is the same as Joe L. script.

2) if you have Joe L. or bjp999 script inside /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory, then you can choose it from the dialog window.

Now, because of the recent modifications I made in the code, I believe it's faster than both older scripts.

The view from Unassigned Devices looks like this. As I can't clear the red message the Mount button is greyed out. The eye icon works but the red cross doesn't.

EDIT: It seems to be a browser (Safari) issue. I cleared the cache and history but it still didn't work. I tried Chrome and it works.

Screen_Shot_2016-10-27_at_03_06_37.png.a9f9e3cedb6c9d40b434affa937f3d0c.png

May I suggest updating the OP to the following:

Hi guys, I made a very simple plugin to act as a frontend to use 1 of 3 preclear scripts.

Community Apps: Preclear

Direct Plugin link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

You may use my built in preclear script or either Joe L's or Big99's preclear_disk.sh by placing a copy of their script to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

It's available under Settings/Preclear. 

When a preclear_disk.sh exists as noted above, you will be given the option under Settings/Preclear if you want to use my script or the optional Joe L/Big999 scripts.

May I suggest updating the OP to the following:

Hi guys, I made a very simple plugin to act as a frontend to use 1 of 3 preclear scripts.

Community Apps: Preclear

Direct Plugin link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

You may use my built in preclear script or either Joe L's or Big99's preclear_disk.sh by placing a copy of their script to /boot/config/plugins/preclear.disk/ directory.

It's available under Settings/Preclear. 

When a preclear_disk.sh exists as noted above, you will be given the option under Settings/Preclear if you want to use my script or the optional Joe L/Big999 scripts.

Maybe with a short description of the features supported. Or a link to some discussion of them.

Ok, I need to confirm I have the correct script.  I want to use the latest and greatest that has the Fast option.  Would that be the bjp999 scripts, and is the link on page 1 of this thread still correct?

Or, is there a newer script from gfjardim that has the Fast?

I'm still using the old one, so Fast option is not there.  There is option to skip post and pre reads but not to go faster.

Ok, I need to confirm I have the correct script.  I want to use the latest and greatest that has the Fast option.  Would that be the bjp999 scripts, and is the link on page 1 of this thread still correct?

I'm still using the old one, so Fast option is not there.  There is option to skip post and pre reads but not to go faster.

bjp999 script has the "Fast post-read verify" option that relies on an executable file (named readvz and located on your flash drive) to verify if the disk is effectively zeroed. My script relies on a completely different approach that make both pre-read and post-read almost as fast as the disk can go. There's no switch, you have the optimal performance out-of-the-box.

bjp999 script has the "Fast post-read verify" option that relies on an executable file (named readvz and located on your flash drive) to verify if the disk is effectively zeroed. My script relies on a completely different approach that make both pre-read and post-read almost as fast as the disk can go. There's no switch, you have the optimal performance out-of-the-box.

ok, thanks!  Just to make sure I have the latest and greatest, I decided to Remove it again and then use Community Apps to install.  It installed the 2016.9.26 version and not the current one.

Looks like Community Apps needs to be updated.

So if I get this right, I can install this manually using the link on page 1, and then I have to manually copy the script file.  OR I can just use Community Apps and it does everything for me - Right?

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic