Preclear plugin

Maybe I spoke too soon. I got this email this morning:

Subject:  cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

body: error: Ignoring tor because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

Not sure if this is explicitly because of the pre-clear updates, but I'm pretty these started showing up on the day of the pre-clear update.

Any thoughts on this?

root@NAS:/usr/bin# ls -la run*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1036 May 10  2016 run-parts*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Nov  5 18:29 runcon -> ../../bin/runcon*

root@NAS:/etc/cron.daily# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   80 Dec 30 10:24 ./
drwxr-xr-x 48 root root 2600 Dec 25 00:03 ../
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3912 Nov  7 06:36 exportrotate*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  129 Apr 17  2015 logrotate*

None of the permissions on any of these is 644 or 444 - are they supposed to be? Neither of the two files in /etc/cron.daily contains the text "tor", so it doesn't appear to be something that is being called from there, and the only reference to "tor" in run-parts is in the word "directory".  I'm a bit lost...

Maybe I spoke too soon. I got this email this morning:

Subject:  cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

body: error: Ignoring tor because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

Not sure if this is explicitly because of the pre-clear updates, but I'm pretty these started showing up on the day of the pre-clear update.

Any thoughts on this?

root@NAS:/usr/bin# ls -la run*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1036 May 10  2016 run-parts*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Nov  5 18:29 runcon -> ../../bin/runcon*

root@NAS:/etc/cron.daily# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   80 Dec 30 10:24 ./
drwxr-xr-x 48 root root 2600 Dec 25 00:03 ../
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3912 Nov  7 06:36 exportrotate*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  129 Apr 17  2015 logrotate*

None of the permissions on any of these is 644 or 444 - are they supposed to be? Neither of the two files in /etc/cron.daily contains the text "tor", so it doesn't appear to be something that is being called from there, and the only reference to "tor" in run-parts is in the word "directory".  I'm a bit lost...

Same issue here...  =(

When I preclear, its always "Starting..."

This is the contents of the notification window.

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh  --notify 7 --frequency 1 --cycles 3 --no-prompt /dev/sdf

Tried with ie edge, ie 11, firefox and chrome. None works.

Any ideas?

i have same problem and the plugin is up to date 2016.12.24 up-to-date

any ideas or help

i have waited for a hour and still just stays at starting... :o

thanks

ps. i uninstalled the plugin and then download directly from github in case i was missing any dependencies and same story just sits starting

*Edited:  Actually seems I have a backplane/controller port that is shot.  So my initial post regarding a strictly pre-clear failure is on hold to say the least.  Darnit.  Bad day gone worse.

I've included a small log of what I'm looking at thus far.  If it's not at all pre-clear related (which this drive not being shown in the main menu is leading me to believe), let me know and I'll not post anything further regarding pre-clear itself with these new drives.

kik.txt

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh  --notify 7 --frequency 1 --cycles 3 --no-prompt /dev/sdf

Any ideas?

any ideas or help

thanks

ps. i uninstalled the plugin and then download directly from github in case i was missing any dependencies and same story just sits starting

I too am experiencing this issue.  Unfortunately, I cannot provide any meaningful logs, as there isn't anything about it in them that I have found.

Have four drives to pre-clear.  Are there any recommendations on how I can get this done outside of the plugin (it was recommended awhile ago in a thread that anyone on v6 should use the plugin vice the script)?  Or a possible roll-back or such (I suspect the preferred resolution is to whack the bug, but figured I'd ask never-the-less).  Thank you.

Any ideas?

any ideas or help

thanks

I too am experiencing this issue.  Unfortunately, I cannot provide any meaningful logs, as there isn't anything about it in them that I have found.

Have four drives to pre-clear.  Are there any recommendations on how I can get this done outside of the plugin (it was recommended awhile ago in a thread that anyone on v6 should use the plugin vice the script)?  Or a possible roll-back or such (I suspect the preferred resolution is to whack the bug, but figured I'd ask never-the-less).  Thank you.

You can use JoeL's original preclear script but if you are using it with recent versions of unRAID, you have to modify the script.  Directions to do that are here:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13054.msg464653#msg464653

Have fun if you are not a command line person...  It is not that difficult but it is a learning curve.  Be sure you read JoeL's instructions on how to use the script from the command line!  One word of caution, if you are going to use a Terminal emulator (i.e., PuTTY) rather than the console, you need to be running screen.  It is a part of the the Nerd Pack plugin. 

You can use JoeL's original preclear script but if you are using it with recent versions of unRAID, you have to modify the script.  Directions to do that are here:

Have fun if you are not a command line person...  It is not that difficult but it is a learning curve.  Be sure you read JoeL's instructions on how to use the script from the command line!  One word of caution, if you are going to use a Terminal emulator (i.e., PuTTY) rather than the console, you need to be running screen.  It is a part of the the Nerd Pack plugin.

Frank, thank you, I'll begin looking into that.  I don't mind CLI at all, thankfully and it's nice to know it's still an option, modifications or not. :)  I have the Nerd Pack plugin, have had it, yet, upon telnetting and issuing "screen" nadda.  So I may need to find where it is specifically.  I appreciate the response bud.

Frank, thank you, I'll begin looking into that.  I don't mind CLI at all, thankfully and it's nice to know it's still an option, modifications or not. :)  I have the Nerd Pack plugin, have had it, yet, upon telnetting and issuing "screen" nadda.  So I may need to find where it is specifically.  I appreciate the response bud.

NerdPack plugin allows you to choose which of its packages to load. Go to its Settings page to enable screen.

Here is an introduction to preclearing:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial#Preclear_Hard_Drives

and

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

Between the two of these, I think you should have everything you need.

Might also be worth mentioning that recent versions of unRAID do NOT take the array offline to clear a disk. If you add a data disk to a new slot in an array that already has parity, it must be clear so parity will remain valid. It used to be that unRAID would take the array offline for this, so preclearing was invented. People still use preclear to test disks, but the clearing part isn't strictly necessary anymore, and in any case, a new data slot in a parity array is the only scenario that requires a clear disk.

Here is an introduction to preclearing:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial#Preclear_Hard_Drives

and

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

Between the two of these, I think you should have everything you need.

Might also be worth mentioning that recent versions of unRAID do NOT take the array offline to clear a disk. If you add a data disk to a new slot in an array that already has parity, it must be clear so parity will remain valid. It used to be that unRAID would take the array offline for this, so preclearing was invented. People still use preclear to test disks, but the clearing part isn't strictly necessary anymore, and in any case, a new data slot in a parity array is the only scenario that requires a clear disk.

Yeah, these hard drives will be replacing the remaining three 2TB drives in this particular unRAID.  So the purpose of pre-clearing is for testing for sure.  @Frank I appreciate the links.  I used to know how to do it inside and out, but, had gotten, erm, accustomed (dare I say lazy lol) to using the Plugin.

*Edited: Also trurl, thank you for that.  I thought I had screen on before, but, evidently (and clearly) not.  Not sure I would've looked at the settings had you not mentioned it, so I thank you.

Are you saying that if I were to replace a failed drive with a new one, I don't have to run a preclear?  Can I simply "Verify all the Disk" on the preclear plugin to test the new drive and immediately start rebuilding?

Are you saying that if I were to replace a failed drive with a new one, I don't have to run a preclear?  Can I simply "Verify all the Disk" on the preclear plugin to test the new drive and immediately start rebuilding?

As I said, the only scenario that actually requires a clear disk is when you add a data disk to a new slot in an array that already has parity on it. This is so parity will remain valid, since a clear disk has no effect on the parity calculation. This has always been the case going back to at least as long as preclear has existed. So rebuilding a disk does not require a clear disk, but people often preclear a disk just to test it.

I'm not sure about "Verify" with the plugin, since I haven't used it lately. I would think verify would either check the disk to see if the clear signature has been written to it, or possibly read the whole disk to make sure it is clear. I don't think verify is going to give you a shortcut way to test a disk.

I used the plugin to preclear a drive only a week ago and had no issues at all.  I'm just now trying to catch up on this forum and see some people are having issues with it not starting, or hanging.  I have precleared 7 or 8 drives in the last month or os, as I replaced my unraid drives, didn't have any issues at all.  I've used the last 2 or 3 version of preclear with no issues.  Most of the time I use the console monitor and kick it off with the unraid gui.  Other times I use my pc and Chrome.

I can share the preclear report if that helps anyone.  I'm on unraid 6.2.4 and plugin is current, 2016.12.24

Hi, I used this plugin for the first time yesterday to add a new empty data disk to my existing array. Everything seemed to go well, pre-read passed, zeroing passed, but the post-read failed almost immediately. What does this mean? I also am not sure where to get the log for the preclear plugin for more details. All I have is the small report from the plugin which is a little light on information (attached).

Preclear_Fail.txt

Hi, I used this plugin for the first time yesterday to add a new empty data disk to my existing array. Everything seemed to go well, pre-read passed, zeroing passed, but the post-read failed almost immediately. What does this mean? I also am not sure where to get the log for the preclear plugin for more details. All I have is the small report from the plugin which is a little light on information (attached).

The one time I had a post-read failure that said my drive was not zeroed like yours did, it was because of bad RAM. Do memtest immediately!

The one time I had a post-read failure that said my drive was not zeroed like yours did, it was because of bad RAM. Do memtest immediately!

Just restart the server and choose the memtest86 option from the OS boot options off the USB disk?

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic