Preclear plugin

Hi, I used this plugin for the first time yesterday to add a new empty data disk to my existing array. Everything seemed to go well, pre-read passed, zeroing passed, but the post-read failed almost immediately. What does this mean? I also am not sure where to get the log for the preclear plugin for more details. All I have is the small report from the plugin which is a little light on information (attached).

The one time I had a post-read failure that said my drive was not zeroed like yours did, it was because of bad RAM. Do memtest immediately!

Just restart the server and choose the memtest86 option from the OS boot options off the USB disk?

yes

Hi, I used this plugin for the first time yesterday to add a new empty data disk to my existing array. Everything seemed to go well, pre-read passed, zeroing passed, but the post-read failed almost immediately. What does this mean? I also am not sure where to get the log for the preclear plugin for more details. All I have is the small report from the plugin which is a little light on information (attached).

The one time I had a post-read failure that said my drive was not zeroed like yours did, it was because of bad RAM. Do memtest immediately!

I had the exact same issue

Just restart the server and choose the memtest86 option from the OS boot options off the USB disk?

yes

I had the exact same issue

First pass just completed (on 4x2GB) and no errors...

Post-read saying drive not zeroed means it didn't successfully write zeros, or it couldn't successfully read zeros. There have been some reports that the latest version of memtest has found memory issues that the built-in boot menu memtest couldn't find.

I guess it could be the disk or connections or something. Can you get a SMART from the drive?

Here is another thread where the user couldn't reliably read/write, eventually decided it was the motherboard.

So I'm doing a test now, but I've realized that my drive has some kind of firmware problem related to the SMART testing. This is a Samsung SpinPoint F4EG HD204UI drive.

==> WARNING: Using smartmontools or hdparm with this

Drive may result in data loss due to a firmware bug.:

****** THIS DRIVE MAY OR MAY NOT BE AFFECTED! ******:

Buggy and fixed firmware report same version number!:

See the following web pages for details:

Http: //knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223571en

Http: //www.smartmontools.org/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlocks

SMART support: Available - device has SMART capability.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess I need to update the firmware. Would this have an impact on the preclear process and producing the problem I experienced with the post-read?

So I'm doing a test now, but I've realized that my drive has some kind of firmware problem related to the SMART testing. This is a Samsung SpinPoint F4EG HD204UI drive.

==> WARNING: Using smartmontools or hdparm with this

Drive may result in data loss due to a firmware bug.:

****** THIS DRIVE MAY OR MAY NOT BE AFFECTED! ******:

Buggy and fixed firmware report same version number!:

See the following web pages for details:

Http: //knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223571en

Http: //www.smartmontools.org/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlocks

SMART support: Available - device has SMART capability.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I guess I need to update the firmware. Would this have an impact on the preclear process and producing the problem I experienced with the post-read?

That's a rather old problem, but I'd take it serious.  I don't recall any unRAID users reporting data corruption or loss from it, but certainly there were reports of such from elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

When I connect to the webgui for my server I get a prompt to send preclear statistics. After selecting "Send" I get an error "Send statistics failed with error code 7". Not sure why preclear plugin wants to send statistics? Not preclearing any disks.

That is weird.  Sounds like the install didn't finish.  I would uninstall / remove the preclear plugin - and reboot and then install.  As for not being able to send the status, Try again after the fresh install and if you still have issues, I would confirm your email SMTP settings are correct and your system can send emails.

When I connect to the webgui for my server I get a prompt to send preclear statistics. After selecting "Send" I get an error "Send statistics failed with error code 7". Not sure why preclear plugin wants to send statistics? Not preclearing any disks.

That is weird.  Sounds like the install didn't finish.  I would uninstall / remove the preclear plugin - and reboot and then install.  As for not being able to send the status, Try again after the fresh install and if you still have issues, I would confirm your email SMTP settings are correct and your system can send emails.

The system sends emails without any problem. I usually get several every morning. I'll reinstall and see if that stops the plugin trying to send data when there isn't a preclear running.

New update 2016.03.20a which pause the preclear while starting/stopping the array.

Please let me know if it helps.

Was this feature removed? I'm using latest preclear and trying to stop the array during a preclear doesn't work anymore, stuck on sync filesystems...

PS: Any way to check preclear progress using the console?

I updated to the latest version and the 'Preview' (eye) function does not show the status and the log shows:

Jan 27 16:48:26 BackupServer root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token
Jan 27 16:48:27 BackupServer root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token
Jan 27 16:48:28 BackupServer root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token

EDIT:  6.3.0-rc9.

New update 2016.03.20a which pause the preclear while starting/stopping the array.

Please let me know if it helps.

Was this feature removed? I'm using latest preclear and trying to stop the array during a preclear doesn't work anymore, stuck on sync filesystems...

PS: Any way to check preclear progress using the console?

Just run "preclear" on the console.

I updated to the latest version and the 'Preview' (eye) function does not show the status and the log shows:

Jan 27 16:48:26 BackupServer root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token
Jan 27 16:48:27 BackupServer root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token
Jan 27 16:48:28 BackupServer root: error: plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php: missing csrf_token

EDIT:  6.3.0-rc9.

Fixed!

Hi!

I wanted to preclear a disk but it just stays at "Starting..." forever (~6 hours now).

"View log" only has the following entries:

Jan 28 23:27:18 preclear_disk_sdb_4520: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 2 --frequency 3 --cycles 1 --no-prompt /dev/sdb
Jan 28 23:27:18 preclear_disk_sdb_4520: Preclear Disk Version: 0.8.3-beta
Jan 28 23:27:18 preclear_disk_sdb_4520: S.M.A.R.T. info type: default
Jan 28 23:27:18 preclear_disk_sdb_4520: S.M.A.R.T. attrs type: default

Am I too impatient?

Thanks!

Hi!

I wanted to preclear a disk but it just stays at "Starting..." forever (~6 hours now).

Jan 28 23:27:18 preclear_disk_sdb_4520: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 2 --frequency 3 --cycles 1 --no-prompt /dev/sdb

Am I too impatient?

Thanks!

That is not correct..

Hi!

Am I too impatient?

Thanks!

Are you sure your Preclear plugin is up to date?

Hi!

Am I too impatient?

Thanks!

Are you sure your Preclear plugin is up to date?

I just installed it minutes before.

gfjardim-

I've been having other issues with my server, so I've been keeping a close eye on the syslog. In doing so, I ran across a line in my syslog that preclear was running on a disk that doesn't exist in my system as reported here.

As suggested by RobJ, I'm reporting it here as a possible bug in the preclear plugin.

Essentially, I have drives sda - sdo, yet the syslog reported that preclear was running on sdp.

I'm attaching diagnostics.zip as pulled from my system a bit earlier this morning. Let me know if there's any other information you might want/need to help diagnose the situation.

And, another hearty THANKS! for continuing to support this great tool!

nas-diagnostics-20170129-1047.zip

Hi;

I installed and ran this plugin to successfully clear a disk, which I set aside as a backup.  I have another to preclear, and (without rebooting the server) I plugged into the same slot.  Opening the preclear plugin page, the drive is detected as sdk, and the correct serial number is presented for the new drive.  however, the report says "preclear finished successfully" which relates to the previous drive.

I can't figure out what to do to re-initialize a new preclear.  I haven't resorted to rebooting the server or reinstalling the plugin, but have tried just about everything else, clicking every link like a self-educating monkey.

This doesn't happen very often, of course, but am I missing a switch to run preclear again?

Thanks

Dennis

In Unassigned Devices, you can see a X icon next to the disk serial which can be used to clear the old session. In Tools > Preclear Disk, that icon exist too with same functionality.

FYI for Mac users - I was experiencing this issue as well. I have a slot dedicated to pre clearing disks for this and other NAS I have. In Safari, clicking the red X on the Preclear plugin page did nothing. Switched to Chrome and it acted just as you said it should. Not sure why it behaves different in Safari.

Side question: Can the plugin be modified to read the serial and if it doesn't match the last preclear on record, it behaves as if no prelcear has been done and presents users with "Start Preclear"?

Thanks for this awesome tool!

FYI for Mac users - I was experiencing this issue as well. I have a slot dedicated to pre clearing disks for this and other NAS I have. In Safari, clicking the red X on the Preclear plugin page did nothing. Switched to Chrome and it acted just as you said it should. Not sure why it behaves different in Safari.

I first mentioned this twelve pages ago.

Whoops, sorry about that  :-[. I did read back several pages in the thread, but admittedly could have searched for "Safari". Thx for pointing out this has already been identified.

Whoops, sorry about that  :-[. I did read back several pages in the thread, but admittedly could have searched for "Safari". Thx for pointing out this has already been identified.

I'm pleased that someone else mentioned it, actually. Browser issues often get overlooked, especially when they affect only a small minority of users.

gfjardim-

I've been having other issues with my server, so I've been keeping a close eye on the syslog. In doing so, I ran across a line in my syslog that preclear was running on a disk that doesn't exist in my system as reported here.

As suggested by RobJ, I'm reporting it here as a possible bug in the preclear plugin.

Essentially, I have drives sda - sdo, yet the syslog reported that preclear was running on sdp.

I'm attaching diagnostics.zip as pulled from my system a bit earlier this morning. Let me know if there's any other information you might want/need to help diagnose the situation.

And, another hearty THANKS! for continuing to support this great tool!

This is obviously a bug, but it's harmless. It's symptom of some leftover files on your system.  I'll investigate as soon as possible, ok?

Thanks for reporting.

Hi;

I installed and ran this plugin to successfully clear a disk, which I set aside as a backup.  I have another to preclear, and (without rebooting the server) I plugged into the same slot.  Opening the preclear plugin page, the drive is detected as sdk, and the correct serial number is presented for the new drive.  however, the report says "preclear finished successfully" which relates to the previous drive.

I can't figure out what to do to re-initialize a new preclear.  I haven't resorted to rebooting the server or reinstalling the plugin, but have tried just about everything else, clicking every link like a self-educating monkey.

This doesn't happen very often, of course, but am I missing a switch to run preclear again?

Thanks

Dennis

In Unassigned Devices, you can see a X icon next to the disk serial which can be used to clear the old session. In Tools > Preclear Disk, that icon exist too with same functionality.

Side question: Can the plugin be modified to read the serial and if it doesn't match the last preclear on record, it behaves as if no prelcear has been done and presents users with "Start Preclear"?

I'm macOS user too, and I can't replicate the issue. Every time a user complains about it, I open Safari and it works strait forward. Can't patch what I can't replicate, I'm afraid. If you can invite me on a remote TeamViewer session, than I can investigate it using your setup.

I'm pleased that someone else mentioned it, actually. Browser issues often get overlooked, especially when they affect only a small minority of users.

I'm sorry but I couldn't track down the issue yet.

I'm getting an error with reporting the statistics. I get an error code: 7.

Version: 2016.12.21

Image attached.

I get this using version 2017.01.28 on two installs.

This is a common error, apparently. I'll make some changes in the code ASAP.

Thanks for reporting.

Hi;

Thanks

Dennis

I'm macOS user too, and I can't replicate the issue. Every time a user complains about it, I open Safari and it works strait forward. Can't patch what I can't replicate, I'm afraid. If you can invite me on a remote TeamViewer session, than I can investigate it using your setup.

Thanks. I just purchased two 6TB drives to replace my current parity drives which will then be moved into my array as data drives. I expect I'll be running at least 2-3 additional pre-clears during this process. Assuming I encounter the issue moving forward, I'll PM you to find a good time for TeamViewer. Appreciate the offer.

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic