Preclear plugin

11 minutes ago, Southweave said:

I am having a problem with preclear- today I purchased 2 new disks and I can't clear either one of them. 
On the Script line it says following: "gfjardim - [strings] Please install it and try again. Line 49" 

The system is Ryzen 5 1600, Gigabyte AB350M gaming 3, 16GB ddr4 ram, WD and Seagate drives.
I've tried to reboot and reinstall several times, nothing has worked. 
OS version is-6.4.0_rc1 0b

@gfjardim  i am having same problem on 2 servers with  6.4.0_rc1 0b

Finally upgraded my 7-year old unraid build from 4.7 to 6.3.5 last weekend to be able to use bigger disks and dual parity, which went quite ok.

My hardware is Core2Duo E8500/4GB/Supermicro X7SBE/Corsair 850W power/2 Supermicro SATA controller cards/4 ea.5 in 3 Supermicro hotswap cages.

I have installed a few plugins only, namely the preclear, V.2017.09.27, Community Application, and Server Layout.

I have 12 ea.2TB WD enterprise disks in my array as of today (1P/11D), and I just bought 3 ea.10TB WD gold disks, put them in my

server, and launched preclear on all 3 the evening 31/10.

When I got home from work today, one of the disks had passed (and an email was sent to my inbox), another is now as 92% postread, but whats

troubling me is that the third (SDD) has just stopped at 34% postread, and even spun down. The time counter is also stopped for this disk.

The array disks are set to spin down after 15 min. of no activity, but this should not affect disks outside the array.

My syslog is attached.

Thanks for any suggestions.

syslog.txt

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but i'm gonna post it here for anyone with the same problem, as i couldn't find any solution.

I kept struggling with starting preclear (running 2017.11.01 preclear plugin on 6.3.5 DVB edition) from the webui, it always got stuck on 'Starting...' and nothing. The status/log window that is supposed to pop up always just closed immediately. I could however run the script from terminal with no problems. In the end it turned out tmux was at fault. I think the version in nerdtools is the same as the one shipped with the plugin, however the one from the plugin doesn't start (tmux: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by tmux)). Indeed my glibc is v2.24, so that makes sense. The tmux from nerdtools runs fine, so my solution:

1. uninstall the preclear plugin

2. uninstall tmux

3. install tmux again from nerdtools

4. backup /usr/bin/tmux

5. reinstall preclear plugin

6. restore /usr/bin/tmux from backup

This seems to fix the problem with tmux not starting and preclears are running once again.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, IamSpartacus said:

What is the difference between erase disk and clear disk?  Clear zero's the drive I believe but what does the erase disk option do?

Erase will fill the entire disk with randomly generated data; Erase and Clear will do the erase operation, then fill it with zeroes and write the unRAID clear signature. Clear will fill the disk with zeroes then write the unRAID clear signature.

On 11/11/2017 at 2:03 PM, KorYi said:

So, I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but i'm gonna post it here for anyone with the same problem, as i couldn't find any solution.

I kept struggling with starting preclear (running 2017.11.01 preclear plugin on 6.3.5 DVB edition) from the webui, it always got stuck on 'Starting...' and nothing. The status/log window that is supposed to pop up always just closed immediately. I could however run the script from terminal with no problems. In the end it turned out tmux was at fault. I think the version in nerdtools is the same as the one shipped with the plugin, however the one from the plugin doesn't start (tmux: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by tmux)). Indeed my glibc is v2.24, so that makes sense. The tmux from nerdtools runs fine, so my solution:

2. uninstall tmux

4. backup /usr/bin/tmux

This seems to fix the problem with tmux not starting and preclears are running once again.

Please post the result of this command:

cat /proc/version|grep -Po 'gcc version \K[\d.]*'

On 11/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, KorYi said:

2. uninstall tmux

4. backup /usr/bin/tmux

Genius!

Fixed my PreClear :)

On 11/14/2017 at 12:38 PM, gfjardim said:

Erase will fill the entire disk with randomly generated data; Erase and Clear will do the erase operation, then fill it with zeroes and write the unRAID clear signature. Clear will fill the disk with zeroes then write the unRAID clear signature.

Thanks for tihs script @gfjardim

I would put this right up front in the OP.

So Erase and Clear is what the default PreClear script would normally do, right?

Edited by axeman

Thanks for tihs script [mention=1694]gfjardim[/mention]. 

I would put this right up front in the OP.

So Erase and Clear is what the default PreClear script would normally do, right?
No, Clear is the default operation. Erase should be used when removing a disk from your array to be sold, e.g.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

3 hours ago, gfjardim said:

No, Clear is the default operation. Erase should be used when removing a disk from your array to be sold, e.g.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

Dang - should've waited for your reply. I did erase and clear. I've got 3 cycles going and it just started the erasing. 

If i cancel it after cycle 1, will i still get a full comparative report? I know 3 cycles might be overkll, but for some reason these HGST drives are suddenly getting skewered in reviews at Newegg. Just playing it safe.

Thanks!

So it looks like my USB stick is failing in the middle of this. 

Got an alert from unraid that the usb is read only. 

I had one smaller disk doing 1 cycle, it failed post-read. 

Should I wait for the other preclears to get to post read phase and shutdown? Or is there no point? Reboot and restart from this cycle?

After the preclear runs, you are given the option of sending back statistics through Google forms.  If you confirm the dialog it will come back as say it was sent, however the XHR request that is made(against StatsSender.php) fails with the following error returned in the XHR response:

<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  array_merge() expects at least 1 parameter, 0 given in <b>/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/statistics.sender/StatsSender.php</b> on line <b>26</b><br />

I am on unraid 6.4.0_rc14 and the plugin version is 2017.11.14.  I know this does not affect the functionality of the plugin but since it is an error someone is unlikely to find I thought you'd want to know.  In case it has any bearing on the issue, I precleared the same disk twice and this occurred after the second preclear.  I wasn't looking and don't know if the first stats report succeeded or failed.

Hello! Sorry if this has been answered already. I'm in the middle of a 3 disk (8TB per drive) preclear. I was forced to reboot the server. I attempted to restart the the preclear through the GUI (didn't know it was an option... awesome!), however when my screen popped up showing my disk information:

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                        unRAID Server Pre-Clear of disk /dev/sde                                          #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Device Model:   WDC WD80EFAX-68LHPN0                                                                                   #
#   Serial Number:  7SGJ339C                                                                                               #
#   User Capacity:  8,001,563,222,016 bytes [8.00 TB]                                                                      #
#   Firmware:       83.H0A83                                                                                               #
#   Disk Device:    /dev/sde                                                                                               #
#   Type Yes to proceed:                                                                                                   #
############################################################################################################################

This is a graphical image in a website. It says "Type Yes to proceed:" but this is essentially just an image. How to I get the preclear to continue?

Thanks!

I haven't used the preclear for awhile but just tried preclearing a disk but I don't think it's doing anything.

I'm using version 2017-9-27

The only thing I see right now in the window after 20min is following.  Should I be seeing more?  I also just closed the browser window that contained the info below....is there a way to see if there's progress?  Also before I started the preclear, the disk status was green, now it shows as greyed out but the start preclear button is still showing.

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh  --cycles 1 --skip-preread --skip-postread --no-prompt

18 minutes ago, DigitalDivide said:

I haven't used the preclear for awhile but just tried preclearing a disk but I don't think it's doing anything.

I'm using version 2017-9-27

The only thing I see right now in the window after 20min is following.  Should I be seeing more?  I also just closed the browser window that contained the info below....is there a way to see if there's progress?  Also before I started the preclear, the disk status was green, now it shows as greyed out but the start preclear button is still showing.

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh  --cycles 1 --skip-preread --skip-postread --no-prompt

4 minutes ago, DigitalDivide said:

Well, if I go to Tools, Preclear, then click Preclear, ,it shows two disks which are unassigned.  The disk in question shows Start Preclear on the far right under Status.  Do I need to click that to get it started?

I'm new to the plugin - so take this with a grain of salt... Tools, Preclear - is where i started my process. Your first post you mentioned seeing something in the window... where'd that come from? Can you post a screenshot of that? 

• Squid unpinned this topic