Preclear plugin

3 hours ago, Ryonez said:

but binhex suggests using gfjardim's atm. Isn't that not working though

To be clear, right now the preclear script (NOT talking about the preclear plugin, that works AFAIK but obviously relies on the script) that is authored by gfjardim has a bug in it, if you urgently need to preclear your drive then you can use the patched version of BJP's script that i linked to in my previous post, HOWEVER i do not recommend using this long term and encourage everybody to use the version linked in this post once gfjardim has fixed up the script (fairly soon i would imagine).

Edited by binhex

To make what binhex says even clearer:

- There is one plugin by gfjardim that works as a front end to the preclear script. This works fine.

- There are 3 actual scripts that can perform the preclear action

1. The original script by the great JoeL (which has not been updated for some time)
  2. The faster script by bjp999 which stresses the disk equally but is (obviously) faster
  3. The script by gfjardim which is probably the most efficient one and is used by default by the plugin

At the moment the only  script working is the bjp999 one, patched by binhex (link here). In order to take advantage of its faster post-read option it should be invoked with the -f argument.

When gfjardim fixes the bugs (which will be announced in this thread), one should probably revert to using his script.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

Update 2018.05.03 just released. In my tests it fixed the "not zeroed" error.

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

Great to hear. I'll stop the preclear I'm doing with the other script and use this. I'll verify if it works my end.

I have updated to the latest version of the plugin and I have had the same thing happen on a brand new drive 3 times.  The first two I skipped the extra parts and the last one I let it run through the whole thing.  It keeps disconnecting the drive, only accessible after I pull the drive and reseat.  Then it tells me that a signature was not valid.  At what point do I determine if this was a DOA drive or something up with the script or plugin?

Thanks

JK

Screenshot 2018-05-05 20.39.10.png

7 hours ago, Rallysports said:

I have updated to the latest version of the plugin and I have had the same thing happen on a brand new drive 3 times.  The first two I skipped the extra parts and the last one I let it run through the whole thing.  It keeps disconnecting the drive, only accessible after I pull the drive and reseat.  Then it tells me that a signature was not valid.  At what point do I determine if this was a DOA drive or something up with the script or plugin?

Thanks

JK

Some thoughts:

- You do not mention, but I am guessing that the disconnection happens  after preclear is completed. Otherwise the signature not being valid is expected since it is the last think that happens when preclearing. If the disconnection happens earlier, you will naturally not have a valid signature.

- Did you check the smart stats on the drive?

- The only solution I can think of, until someone more knowledgable chimes in, is to try another drive, if you have one. 

Thanks
JK
720225074_Screenshot2018-05-0520_39_10.thumb.png.d9836f56191835d2eb4b0228fce9198c.png
Please send me the whole previews plugin log, please.
4 hours ago, gfjardim said:
6 hours ago, Rallysports said:
I sent them over gfjardim.

Thanks for taking a look at it.

JK

Please take a look at the first post for "How can I download a copy of the plugin log" and send the file here.

Not sure if there is a mix up but this file is what I PM'd you.  I did as the instructions stated.  Is there something I am not seeing?

JK

TOWER-preclear.disk-20180506-1649.zip

Updated Plugin, ran a pre-clear sucessfully, logs attached for reference.

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                       unRAID Server Preclear of disk S246J9FB804046                                      #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                   [2:22:13 @ 117 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk:                                                        [2:21:46 @ 117 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                          SUCCESS    #
#   Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature:                                                        SUCCESS    #
#   Step 5 of 5 - Post-Read verification:                                                  [2:22:57 @ 116 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
############################################################################################################################
#                               Cycle elapsed time: 7:07:04 | Total elapsed time: 7:07:06                                  #

#                                               S.M.A.R.T. Status default                                                  #
#   ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  CYCLE 1  STATUS                                                                  #
#   5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        0        -                                                                       #
#   9-Power_On_Hours             17347    17354    Up 7                                                                    #
#   194-Temperature_Celsius      28       42       Up 14                                                                   #
#   196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        0        -                                                                       #
#   197-Current_Pending_Sector   0        0        -                                                                       #
#   198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        0        -                                                                       #
#   199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     0        0        -                                                                       #
#   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                               #

--> ATTENTION: Please take a look into the SMART report above for drive health issues.

--> RESULT: Preclear Finished Successfully!.

TOWER-preclear.disk-20180507-0010.zip

tower-diagnostics-20180507-0016.zip

Does anyone else have issues with stopping docker containers while a preclear is running?

I have had this issue for a while, it persisted through multiple unraid updates and reboots so I'm wondering if it's specific to my hardware.

If there is an active preclear session, I am unable to stop docker containers. The docker stop process gets stuck for a very long time. Only happens when preclear is running (have been preclearing some 8TB drives that take a long time so it's easy to reproduce and easily noticeable)

Thanks

2 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Does anyone else have issues with stopping docker containers while a preclear is running?

Am I correct in assuming that you have looked at CPU utilization to make sure that you don't have a bottleneck there?   Does the Docker container eventually stop?  Is it all Dockers? Oh, how many drives are you preclearing at one time?  (I understand that (some?) preclear script is a bit of a memory hog.) 

56 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Am I correct in assuming that you have looked at CPU utilization to make sure that you don't have a bottleneck there?   Does the Docker container eventually stop?  Is it all Dockers? Oh, how many drives are you preclearing at one time?  (I understand that (some?) preclear script is a bit of a memory hog.) 

It takes sometimes 3-4 minutes, sometimes up to 20min or more for it to eventually stop. If I issue the stop once and wait, it will eventually stop. But if I try to kill the container or the process, it can get stuck for much longer.

I don't notice anything strange with cpu utilization. During preclear, core 0 seems to be pegged at 100% the whole time and the others are pretty much idle (I have 16 virtual cores).

I'm only preclearing 1 drive at a time and have plenty of ram (64GB), with only 10% utilization.

Actually, now that I tried it a bunch more times, I noticed that with just the preclear, on unraid dashboard, the core 0 utilization bounces between 80% and 100%, but if I try to stop a container, it will remain at 100% constantly. Perhaps it is a cpu bottleneck where both processes hammer core 0 at the same time.

1 hour ago, aptalca said:

Actually, now that I tried it a bunch more times, I noticed that with just the preclear, on unraid dashboard, the core 0 utilization bounces between 80% and 100%, but if I try to stop a container, it will remain at 100% constantly. Perhaps it is a cpu bottleneck where both processes hammer core 0 at the same time

I doubt if this is really a preclear problem in-and-by itself.  If you are running the latest Stable (or Release Candidate) version, you might want to post up this problem in that announcement thread and see if anyone has any thoughts there.  If those other cores aren't being used, why not...

• Squid unpinned this topic