Preclear plugin

Hi  ... i've just removed the  preclear plugin and rebooted my server. However the system log is generating the following errors at 2sec  intervals ...

'Jun 21 16:21:23 smtower nginx: 2018/06/21 16:21:23 [error] 5338#5338: *1 FastCGI sent in stderr: "Primary script unknown" while reading response header from upstream, client: 192.168.1.68, server: , request: "POST /plugins/preclear.disk/Preclear.php HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.sock:", host: "192.168.1.15", referrer: "http://192.168.1.15/Docker"

Any ideas ?

192.168.1.68 appears to be the web session from which i'm browsing but i'm assuming that some bit of preclear is still being 'probed' for want of a better word. The plugin does not show on the gui and has no plg left in plugin folder on flash?

Update ... why is it in italic, i've no idea! But ... i removed the preclear plg file from the 'removed' plugins folder and the errors have stopped!! Strange eh. And ... i've been having problems accessing the appstore for a few days. That also has resolved itself with the removal of the plugin. But ... I still NEED the plugin so will install/remove on an as and when basis in future. Not ideal but ... any ideas on what was wrong greatly appreciated.

Not sure this is really true. The preclear script should work. I haven’t tested it with the most recent unRAID version (yet), but also haven’t seen any posts regarding problems.

I preclear EVERY disk with 3 cycles. Can i do this without the plugin? What i noticed is that my system always became unresponsive part way through a third cycle. Now i know that this may have been down to log filling up. Any idea on that error code which miraculously disappeared once i removed EVERY component of preclear including the removed entrues themselves.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Think i'll stick with the plugin. The whole script issues seems as prone to contention as the plugin itself. I've cleared multiple drives over recent weeks. All have stalled during the third cycle. I normally just restart and the clearance completes. Only the last clearance caused problems of being unable to access CA app repository. Strange i know but i then removed the plugin and all problems disappeared but the log was filling with error mesages. So i'll stick with using the plugin when needed and then remove. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Preclearance is hell. Not sure why, but preclearance never seems to go straightforward for me.

Problems:

1) Unfortunately, disks that are being pre-cleared count towards your license disk limit. I'm upgrading storage by replacing disks with higher capacity disks, so I didn't really think I needed to upgrade my license. But, during pre-clearance I'm temporarily going to have extra disks plugged in--so down goes the array. Think your family doesn't like you, try telling them the Plex server will be down for the entire weekend or more.

2) After ~20 hours preclearance stalls during pre-read. The web UI is still accessible and shows 3 (out of 4) CPUs pinned to 100%. I don't see any errors in the logs, so I let the preclearance continue running. After another 10hrs without advancing in the preclearance, I stop the preclearance. After stopping the preclearance, 3 of 4 CPUs are still pinned at 100% according to the web UI. I SSH into the system to see what's eating the CPU, but htop shows the CPUs as idle. I assume it's a visual bug with the WebUI and attempt to restart the server. Server doesn't respond to the restart command through the WebUI or a 'powerdown' command through SSH shell. I'm forced to hard powerdown using the power button (but don't mind since the array wasn't loaded because of he disk limit).

3) Another ~20 hours preclearance confirms the bug.  Same symptoms as before: preclearance stalls @ 20hr mark, 3 of 4 CPUs pinned to 100%, server unresponsive to powerdown commands.

4) So I decide to use @binhex's updated bjp fast pre-clear script. I get past the 20hr mark fine, so I figure I'm home free. But alas, I get hit with a power outage at the 40 hr mark. Apparently, preclearance doesn't exit gracefully when the UPS shutdown command is issued. Luckily I'm around when this happens, so I manually stop the preclearance which allows the server to shutdown. Unfortunately it's only after the unraid server has eaten up a huge portion of my UPS battery.  Think your family hates you, try telling them that the battery power that supposed to keep the internet on during power outages only has half an hour of juice left because the unraid server kept running.

1 hour ago, fc0712 said:

Thanks - Is it possible to run it with the exisiting preclear plugin or should i just run it through user scripts?

untested with the plugin, but probably not compatible - confirmed working, see post here:-

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/54648-preclear-plugin/?do=findComment&comment=668837

ive not used 'user scripts', i simply execute it from ssh session, be sure to use 'screen' if you want to run it this way otherwise if you close the ssh session then the script execution will end.

Edited by binhex
6 minutes ago, binhex said:

untested with the plugin, but probably not compatible, ive not used 'user scripts', i simply execute it from ssh session, be sure to use 'screen' if you want to run it this way otherwise if you close the ssh session then the script execution will end.

OR run it from the console (monitor and keyboard attached to server).  

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, binhex said:

untested with the plugin, but probably not compatible, ive not used 'user scripts', i simply execute it from ssh session, be sure to use 'screen' if you want to run it this way otherwise if you close the ssh session then the script execution will end.

I just completed my run using the binhex patched bjp script through the plugin, so I can confirm it works fine on unRAID v.6.5.3.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, death.hilarious said:

I just completed my run using the binhex patched bjp script through the plugin, so I can confirm it works fine on unRAID v.6.5.3.

Nice - How did you replace the original script?

Update:  Placed it under the plugin and renamed the new script to preclear_disk.sh

Edited by fc0712
2 hours ago, death.hilarious said:

Did you experience a problem with the default gfjardim plugin script that you didn't experience with the binhex patched bjp script?

1 hour ago, fc0712 said:

How many times do guys recommending running preclear?

Basically, I try to put about 72-100 hours on the any new drive.  (That was the old burn-in time for computer fabricators back in the 1990's.)  Old drives would depend on whether I thought the drive truly had a problem or if some other event triggered the failure.  (I replace any drive problem or failure with a cold spare and figure out if the drive was or wasn't the cause of the problem at a later time.) 

43 minutes ago, death.hilarious said:

Yes. See my post a few posts up.

Preclear just inexplicably stalled about 20 hours into pre-read. Tried it again and the same thing happened.

Ah ok.  Yeah I've had that happen more than once and posted in this thread about it as well.  In my case all were with Western Digital Red drives for what that's worth.

If the alternate script solves this consistently that would be huge.

@gfjardim, has this issue been addressed yet?

Jul 10 17:56:48 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.
Jul 10 17:56:48 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant ID_MODEL - assumed 'ID_MODEL' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470
Jul 10 17:56:48 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SERIAL_SHORT - assumed 'SERIAL_SHORT' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470
Jul 10 17:56:51 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.
Jul 10 17:56:51 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant ID_MODEL - assumed 'ID_MODEL' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470
Jul 10 17:56:51 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SERIAL_SHORT - assumed 'SERIAL_SHORT' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470
Jul 10 17:56:51 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.
Jul 10 17:56:53 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant ID_MODEL - assumed 'ID_MODEL' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470
Jul 10 17:56:53 Rose rc.diskinfo[8325]: PHP Warning: Use of undefined constant SERIAL_SHORT - assumed 'SERIAL_SHORT' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 470

While it is not a 'show stopper' at this point, it could become a major problem with the next release of PHP. 

I am having a slow preclear issue...

This week I precleared 5 x 8tb drives in usb enclosures and the avg speed was 150+mb/s...

Today I tried to preclear another drive in its usb enclosure and the preclear started at a little under 60mb/s...so I shucked it and tried again...

It started out around 60mb/s and has steadily slowed down under 20mb/s now...

Anyone have any ideas???

EDIT:

I think maybe the newest update 07-09-2018 might have changed something and made the performance terrible...

EDIT 2:

Rolled back to the previous version 05-03-2018 and the speeds are back up to 200+mb/s via sata...the newest plugin is having performance issues

Edited by airbillion
  • Squid unpinned this topic