Preclear plugin

I'm getting the following error during install with CA.

How to fix it?

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg ... done
unRAID version (6.6.1 - GCC 8.2.0) not supported.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

Edited by olfolfolf
25 minutes ago, olfolfolf said:

I'm getting the following error during install with CA.

How to fix it?

plugin: installing: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg
plugin: downloading https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg
plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/master/plugins/preclear.disk.plg ... done
unRAID version (6.6.1 - GCC 8.2.0) not supported.
plugin: run failed: /bin/bash retval: 1

You must be installing a later version of gcc somewhere.  The version that comes with 6.6.1 is 8.1.1

What's the output of

cat /proc/version

EDIT2:  Are you running one of the DVB builds from @CHBMB?

Edited by Squid
Just now, CHBMB said:

I believe he is.

I don't know squat about compiling kernels, but I would guess that you're using 8.2.0 of gcc whereas LT is using 8.1.1

cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.18.10-unRAID (root@develop64) (gcc version 8.1.1 20180626 (GCC)) #2 SMP Wed Sep 26 13:21:57 PDT 2018

Which basically doesn't matter I would think, but preclear determines which dependencies to install based upon the gcc version used in the kernel.  Don't know if there's a better / easier way for either @gfjardim to figure out the dependency situation or for you to match the gcc version that LT uses to create any given kernel.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Squid said:

I don't know squat about compiling kernels, but I would guess that you're using 8.2.0 of gcc whereas LT is using 8.1.

Which basically doesn't matter I would think, but preclear determines which dependencies to install based upon the gcc version used in the kernel.  Don't know if there's a better / easier way for either @gfjardim to figure out the dependency situation or for you to match the gcc version that LT uses to create any given kernel. 

I think the problem arises that Unraid is compiled using Slackware-Current rather than a fixed target like Slackware-14.2 

20 hours ago, Squid said:

You must be installing a later version of gcc somewhere.  The version that comes with 6.6.1 is 8.1.1

What's the output of

cat /proc/version

EDIT2:  Are you running one of the DVB builds from @CHBMB?

Yes, I'm running the latest 6.6.1 DVB build.

Can't copy the output via my smarthphone, but it's something like "unRAID 6.6.1  ... gcc 8.2.0 ...".

I'll copy the complete output later this day when I'm back at home.

Edit:

Linux version 4.18.10-unRAID (root@matrix) (gcc version 8.2.0 (GCC)) #1 SMP Sat Sep 29 07:11:46 BST 2018

Edited by olfolfolf

I'm experiencing a slight problem with gfjardim's preclear plugin. I was right in the middle of a 3 cycle run of preclears on 2x 8TB drives when my server locked up and the webUI and the local GUI were completely frozen.  I was forced to hard reset the server.  After coming on line and restarting my array, I was able to resume both preclear runs.  One of them began running right from where it left off.  The second drive seems to be stuck at "starting", but nothing is happening.  That was over 12 hours ago.  I left it overnight and while I was at work just in case. The preclear log for that run seems to be stuck at " Type Yes to proceed:"

I'm running unRaid 6.5.2

Preclear Ver 2018.09.20

I know there are updates to both, I was right in the middle of clearing these drives, so I didn't want to change anything and have to start the process over.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get this preclear to resume from where it left off, or do I need to start over? Can I update the preclear plugin while running a preclear on a drive? My first reaction was that I better not.

Thanks for any help.

preclear 1.PNG

Preclear 2.PNG

syslog.txt

8 hours ago, Alex.vision said:

I'm experiencing a slight problem with gfjardim's preclear plugin. I was right in the middle of a 3 cycle run of preclears on 2x 8TB drives when my server locked up and the webUI and the local GUI were completely frozen.  I was forced to hard reset the server.  After coming on line and restarting my array, I was able to resume both preclear runs.  One of them began running right from where it left off.  The second drive seems to be stuck at "starting", but nothing is happening.  That was over 12 hours ago.  I left it overnight and while I was at work just in case. The preclear log for that run seems to be stuck at " Type Yes to proceed:"

I'm running unRaid 6.5.2

Preclear Ver 2018.09.20

I know there are updates to both, I was right in the middle of clearing these drives, so I didn't want to change anything and have to start the process over.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get this preclear to resume from where it left off, or do I need to start over? Can I update the preclear plugin while running a preclear on a drive? My first reaction was that I better not.

Thanks for any help.

preclear 1.PNG

Preclear 2.PNG

syslog.txt

Please send me the plugin log (see the first post of this topic).

5 hours ago, gfjardim said:

Please send me the plugin log (see the first post of this topic).

I guess I missed the part about it being a different log.  My wife set down my dinner right as I was typing this up, so steak and potatoes made me read a bit faster than usual. I knew I was going to miss something, I so rarely have issues, that when one comes around I lose basic sense and become "that guy who can't rtfm". I've attached the log you requested. 

MEDIA-preclear.disk-20181009-0749.zip

1 hour ago, Alex.vision said:

I guess I missed the part about it being a different log.  My wife set down my dinner right as I was typing this up, so steak and potatoes made me read a bit faster than usual. I knew I was going to miss something, I so rarely have issues, that when one comes around I lose basic sense and become "that guy who can't rtfm". I've attached the log you requested. 

MEDIA-preclear.disk-20181009-0749.zip

I think your server locked while the script was writing the resume information on the boot flash drive. You must cancel the resume popup and start a new instance of preclear to that drive.

Just now, gfjardim said:

I think your server locked while the script was writing the resume information on the boot flash drive. You must cancel the resume popup and start a new instance of preclear to that drive.

Oh, ok.  Ouch, these 8TB take a while, but I guess that's the cost of doing business with large drives.  Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.  Now I have to figure out why the thing crashed in the first place.  On to the next mission....

Just now, Alex.vision said:

Oh, ok.  Ouch, these 8TB take a while, but I guess that's the cost of doing business with large drives.  Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.  Now I have to figure out why the thing crashed in the first place.  On to the next mission....

Yep. I changed the logic on the script too, so it can write the whole resume information to the flash drive and then rename it.

My first 2 12tb drives precleared in less than 6 hours last week. I added 2 more yesterday (so I have a full 2 parity drives) and started preclear. Just the pre-read took over 12 hours. The cleared drives currently in there are sitting idle with the array stopped (had started to move files but then decided to finish redundancy first). Now 8 hours in with 54%/56% done at 233/236 MB/s of zeroing (1 of 2) step. Since the first 2 drives are on the left backpane I put these 2 on the right one so both SAS cables are used figuring it would be better distribution. Between the first set of drives and the new 2, there was an update to the preclear app/plugin and the preclear code (system side), if that is the problem.

Do I need to be concerned about my first preclear drives because that was too fast? Are these slower than they should be so I should investigate if the backpane has a problem? And I had told it to do 2 rounds of preclear...so am I just SOL for the next few days?

34 minutes ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

My first 2 12tb drives precleared in less than 6 hours last week. I added 2 more yesterday (so I have a full 2 parity drives) and started preclear. Just the pre-read took over 12 hours. The cleared drives currently in there are sitting idle with the array stopped (had started to move files but then decided to finish redundancy first). Now 8 hours in with 54%/56% done at 233/236 MB/s of zeroing (1 of 2) step. Since the first 2 drives are on the left backpane I put these 2 on the right one so both SAS cables are used figuring it would be better distribution. Between the first set of drives and the new 2, there was an update to the preclear app/plugin and the preclear code (system side), if that is the problem.

Do I need to be concerned about my first preclear drives because that was too fast? Are these slower than they should be so I should investigate if the backpane has a problem? And I had told it to do 2 rounds of preclear...so am I just SOL for the next few days?

If you send me your preclear log (see the OP) I can tell you if it was successful or not.

3 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

If you send me your preclear log (see the OP) I can tell you if it was successful or not.

12tb x 2 and 250gb x 1 claimed they finished. The 12tb x 2 still running taking so much longer are concerning me that there might be a problem. I am getting close to being 24 hours in with the first preclear not yet done, so also trying to figure out how I can start using my storage sooner.

RAZA-preclear.disk-20181009-1941.zip

For disk ST12000NM0007-2A1101_ZJV1HWVE and ST12000NM0007-2A1101_ZJV1GVM5 you have toggled the Enable Testing (just for debugging) switch, which only appear if Help is toggled. This option only read a portion of the disk and it's meant to allow me to proper test some features without having to wait a full prelear session. You have to run preclear on them again, without the testing option.

The disk ST3250310AS_6RY9FV4D had a successful preclear session.

The other two disks preclearing now are correctly invoked, you just have to sit and wait.

That explains the speed of their runs. I do not see the testing option anymore, but the first time I left it on because it was enabled by default. Since those 2 need to be redone and were part of an array, I assume "erase and clear" is better than just "clear"  for operation? And is there any reason for more than 1 cycle (these are new drives, like arrived from amazon and stuck into server)?

1 minute ago, Cull2ArcaHeresy said:

That explains the speed of their runs. I do not see the testing option anymore, but the first time I left it on because it was enabled by default. Since those 2 need to be redone and were part of an array, I assume "erase and clear" is better than just "clear"  for operation? And is there any reason for more than 1 cycle (these are new drives, like arrived from amazon and stuck into server)?

I like to run 2 cycles, but that's me. I saw nothing that indicates you got bad drives.

Erase writes random data, and it's meant to erase disks prior to sell/retirement. In your case, Clear will do just fine.

I would love to run 3+ cycles, but I kinda need the space sooner than in 2 weeks.

It looks like preread and zero are going at the same speed, and thus are each going to take ~16 hours. If I am reading it correctly, it does preread, zero, preread, zero, postread, zero, postread-so 7 steps that all take about the same amount of time, so like 4.7 days per cycle. Definitely going to run multiple cycles on older questionable drives, but they are also 250/500 gigs. Would there be any harm in me stopping the preclears running and starting them again with just 1 cycle? Assuming that math is right, my drives will then be free almost 4 days sooner. 

I ended up canceling it and it restarting it and it took about 51 hours per drive, so not linear however it works. Thanks for all the help @gfjardim :)

Edited by Cull2ArcaHeresy
outdated situation and update

Hi

I have a disk that comes up with errors.

Have tried to preclear it but every time it comes up with a message that my drive doesnt have a valid unraid mbr signature.

Any ideas on what is wrong with it? 

I bought two brand new disks and have only used them for about 6 months, when one of them failed.

Here is the log from my first try but nothing from my last tries.:

Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: ata3: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m2048@0xf0000000 port 0xf0000200 irq 26
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: ata3: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: ata3.00: ATA-10: ST4000DM004-2CV104, ZFN0GAQG, 0001, max UDMA/133
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: ata3.00: 7814037168 sectors, multi 0: LBA48 NCQ (depth 32), AA
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: ata3.00: configured for UDMA/133
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 7814037168 512-byte logical blocks: (4.00 TB/3.64 TiB)
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] 4096-byte physical blocks
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sdc: sdc1
Oct 8 23:14:06 MainStation kernel: sd 3:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
Oct 8 23:14:16 MainStation emhttpd: ST4000DM004-2CV104_ZFN0GAQG (sdc) 512 7814037168

• 3 weeks later...

I got offline "Current pending sector" and "raw read error rate" error on one of my drive.

Extended SMART test = success. and Current pending sector still 1 and raw read error rate still 2.

I was thinking of doing 2 cycles of pre-read with preclear

Is it possible to do pre-read test only with plugins ?

or I need to do it manually using terminal ?

@gfjardim good day!  I've had need of this wonderful tool once again and have found on the latest and greatest (6.6.3) access of any disk unassigned and the preclear itself fails then requiring a full reboot before disks are visible / usable once again under UD and PC.

Uninstalling unassigned devices (temporary) resolved the issue.  Would it be possible to include a toggle which disables all hooks into unassigned devices?  Thanks for the fantastic work! 

• Squid unpinned this topic