Preclear plugin

6 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Since no one has taken the time to reply about the state of this drive, let me give you my thoughts.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply!

I would RMA this drive if possible.  (My past experience is that HD manufacturers  don't argue about warranty claims.  They have always shipped the replacement to me on the day they receive the old one! After all, ripping out a drive out of most computers for warranty replacement is really big hassle and every few people do it on a whim!) 

Thankfully, I think this drive is still within the warranty period.

One more question: if I RMA the drive, am I likely to get a refurbished drive as opposed to a new drive? This is a WD Red, if that makes a difference.

29 minutes ago, rragu said:

One more question: if I RMA the drive, am I likely to get a refurbished drive as opposed to a new drive? This is a WD Red, if that makes a difference.

Hard to tell.  The WD Red is still in production so new production drives are available.  But it still could be a refab.  But you still have the remainder of the Red's warranty (I think the Red has a three year warranty...) and there are many things that can could wrong that would require the replacement of (let's say) the controller board or some other part.   I am also certain that the drive will be subject to a test regiment that is at least as rigorous (and probably more so) than the original factory tests.   I have the feeling that they will simply scrap any drive that they feel will not be as reliable as a new drive.  (The last thing they want is for a customer to get a second drive that gives problems.  That type of event is positively certain to result in a scathing  review on numerous sites!)

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, John_M said:

I had an issue with the Netatalk service not starting on Unraid 6.7.0-rc2 (and therefore no access to shares using AFP), which was resolved by removing this plugin. I had checked for updates and was on the most recent.

@John_M, can you try installing the latest version of the plugin?

I am currently in the process of upgrading my unraid server. I had 3 drives that were not in my current unraid box. I memtested my system for 36 hours no problem. I attached the 3 drives and started the preclear plugin on them. One drive failed almost instantly. It wasnt a surprise because it is an old WD Black 2TB that I couldnt remember where I got it from. One is a WD Green 2TB that ran while I slept and was still running when I went to work. I came home and it failed/aborted on pre-read. I actually opened the factory package for this drive which I believe was a warranty replacement for a previous failed drive. I have attached the preclear log and both the smart long and short log. The short test in unraid ran all the way to 90% and then staid there for a while and finally stopped with Errors occurred - Check SMART report. The long test did not make it past 10% and errored out as well. Is this drive just crapped out? Sucks I didn't check it when I got it returned because its been sitting around for a couple years.

preclear.txt

smart long.txt

smart short.txt

Edited by KDP
4 hours ago, KDP said:

Is this drive just crapped out?

Yes, drive that fails SMART test = failed drive

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%        26         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       10%        26   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, KDP said:

I am currently in the process of upgrading my unraid server. I had 3 drives that were not in my current unraid box. I memtested my system for 36 hours no problem. I attached the 3 drives and started the preclear plugin on them. One drive failed almost instantly. It wasnt a surprise because it is an old WD Black 2TB that I couldnt remember where I got it from. One is a WD Green 2TB that ran while I slept and was still running when I went to work. I came home and it failed/aborted on pre-read. I actually opened the factory package for this drive which I believe was a warranty replacement for a previous failed drive. I have attached the preclear log and both the smart long and short log. The short test in unraid ran all the way to 90% and then staid there for a while and finally stopped with Errors occurred - Check SMART report. The long test did not make it past 10% and errored out as well. Is this drive just crapped out? Sucks I didn't check it when I got it returned because its been sitting around for a couple years.

preclear.txt

smart long.txt

smart short.txt

Strange that it has no surface errors, so could be bad SATA cable, bad cache memory or bad disk controller.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, drive that fails SMART test = failed drive

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%        26         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       10%        26   

Thanks so much for pointing that out Johnnie. I have never read a SMART report before and I was a bit overwhelmed. I was googling how to decipher the data and everything always talked about how to look at the values it outputs and what they mean so I completely overlooked a lot of the remaining output. 

15 hours ago, gfjardim said:

Strange that it has no surface errors, so could be bad SATA cable, bad cache memory or bad disk controller.

It apparently isn't the cable as I tried a known good one and ended up with the same problem. I just wish I had tested it when WD sent it to me years ago. Thanks for taking the time to assist me.

plugin version: 2019.02.06b

I ran two drives today a 3TB and 10TB and they both died exactly at 25% on the zeroing, saying it completed, but DD is still running.  On the 3TB , killed the dd, restarted without the pre-read and now it's 38% on the post read.   I've never had a problem with preclear like this, I assume something bad happened in a recent update.

############################################################################################################################
#                                                                                                                          #
#                                         unRAID Server Preclear of disk 2YJEA84D                                          #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#                                                                                                                          #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                  [16:50:12 @ 165 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing in progress:                                                                       (25% Done)    #
#   ** Time elapsed: 3:18:43 | Write speed: 210 MB/s | Average speed: 209 MB/s                                             #
############################################################################################################################
#                              Cycle elapsed time: 20:08:57 | Total elapsed time: 20:08:57                                 #

#                                               S.M.A.R.T. Status default                                                  #
#   ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  STATUS                                                                           #
#   5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        -                                                                                #
#   9-Power_On_Hours             0        -                                                                                #
#   194-Temperature_Celsius      26       -                                                                                #
#   196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        -                                                                                #
#   197-Current_Pending_Sector   0        -                                                                                #
#   198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        -                                                                                #
#   199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     0        -                                                                                #
#   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                               #

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh: line 590: ${write_type_s} in progress on ${disk_serial ($disk_name)}: bad s
ubstitution

--> ATTENTION: Please take a look into the SMART report above for drive health issues.

--> RESULT: Preclear Finished Successfully!.

10 hours ago, NateCCIE said:

plugin version: 2019.02.06b

I ran two drives today a 3TB and 10TB and they both died exactly at 25% on the zeroing, saying it completed, but DD is still running.  On the 3TB , killed the dd, restarted without the pre-read and now it's 38% on the post read.   I've never had a problem with preclear like this, I assume something bad happened in a recent update.

#                                         unRAID Server Preclear of disk 2YJEA84D                                          #
#                                       Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64.                                        #
#   Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification:                                                  [16:50:12 @ 165 MB/s] SUCCESS    #
#   Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing in progress:                                                                       (25% Done)    #
#   ** Time elapsed: 3:18:43 | Write speed: 210 MB/s | Average speed: 209 MB/s                                             #
#                              Cycle elapsed time: 20:08:57 | Total elapsed time: 20:08:57                                 #

#                                               S.M.A.R.T. Status default                                                  #
#   ATTRIBUTE                    INITIAL  STATUS                                                                           #
#   5-Reallocated_Sector_Ct      0        -                                                                                #
#   9-Power_On_Hours             0        -                                                                                #
#   194-Temperature_Celsius      26       -                                                                                #
#   196-Reallocated_Event_Count  0        -                                                                                #
#   197-Current_Pending_Sector   0        -                                                                                #
#   198-Offline_Uncorrectable    0        -                                                                                #
#   199-UDMA_CRC_Error_Count     0        -                                                                                #
#   SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED                                                               #

/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh: line 590: ${write_type_s} in progress on ${disk_serial ($disk_name)}: bad s
ubstitution

--> ATTENTION: Please take a look into the SMART report above for drive health issues.

--> RESULT: Preclear Finished Successfully!.

It's a small bug I just patched. Thanks for reporting!

2 hours ago, casperse said:

Hi All

I love this Clear plugin, the only thing I really miss is a queue ;-)

In the process of preclearing 36 drives and that would be such a nice thing to have

Sorry I didn't find a special feature request topic, if there is one then please move this post

Thanks again for a great plugin

To mitigate this you can set the script to notify you once it finishes, then you can start another batch of preclear sessions.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:42 AM, casperse said:

Hi All

I love this Clear plugin, the only thing I really miss is a queue ;-)

In the process of preclearing 36 drives and that would be such a nice thing to have

Sorry I didn't find a special feature request topic, if there is one then please move this post

Thanks again for a great plugin

Thinking about your request, I found a way to easily implement this, so it's added in version 2019.02.12.

Just go to to Tools > Preclear Disk and, in the title bar, click on the tachometer icon. Ps: this will not survive a reboot.

4 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

Thinking about your request, I found a way to easily implement this, so it's added in version 2019.02.12.

Just go to to Tools > Preclear Disk and, in the title bar, click on the tachometer icon. Ps: this will not survive a reboot.

WAow! now it can run while I am away for the weekend - Thanks @gfjardim your the man!

3 minutes ago, gfjardim said:

And you can update the plugin even if you already have preclear sessions running.

I just did! while having two of them running :-) works perfectly starts up as paused and nice touch about setting limits and not having a fixed one - love it

Edited by casperse
3 hours ago, gfjardim said:

so it's added in version 2019.02.12.

Is there a way to update the plugin offline? 

I currently don't have Internet at home apart from my phone and laptop. 

Can I download the updated files from somewhere and overwrite the existing as I'm currently trying to preclear 2 x 10TB drives but they get stuck at the 25% of zeroing and says its finished. 

16 minutes ago, rippernz said:

Is there a way to update the plugin offline? 

I currently don't have Internet at home apart from my phone and laptop. 

Can I download the updated files from somewhere and overwrite the existing as I'm currently trying to preclear 2 x 10TB drives but they get stuck at the 25% of zeroing and says its finished. 

Which Unraid version are you using?

Edited by gfjardim
  • Squid unpinned this topic