Preclear plugin

On 7/14/2019 at 11:20 AM, Ruato said:

I will try this and let you know how it goes. Thank you!

On 7/13/2019 at 7:20 PM, comet424 said:

@Ruato

could be the incompatibility of the current preclear plugin with the latest stable unraid..

uninstall preclear 

reboot 

reinstall preclear....  

it should not give you issues till next reboot or several runs..  since release of 6.7.2   i had issues.. i either downgraded back to 6.6.6 to get preclear to work  no issues  or i had to play with uninstall reinstall etc..

i dont know if there is a new release of preclear as i set unraid to update check/update every night...  and my last hard drive i precleared was a 12TB that takes 7 days to do 3 cycles a month ago..

but give that a try the uninstall reinstall  and then run preclear....

now dont take my word if there is a latest version fix  for preclear.. i just going off what i been doing since 6.7.2 release and did a few hds and SSDs and thats what i had to do to get 0 issues

@comet424

It worked! Thank you very much for the help!

44 minutes ago, Ruato said:

@comet424

It worked! Thank you very much for the help!

@Ruato your welcome.. glad it worked..... ya if you experience the issue again  just do my steps  and seems to work..

hopefully by next 12tb 14tb drive i get the fix should be out lol it be a while for me

lol

Was I supposed to Format the Drive 1st?   I did a preclear on a Disk in another PC, on a new Disk, to put in my main system to replace a Disk.

"cat: /tmp/.preclear/sdf/smart_error: No such file or directory --> RESULT: Preclear Finished Successfully!."

############################################################################################################################ # # # unRAID Server Preclear of disk WD-WX21D19AYV8T # # Cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64. # # # # # # Step 1 of 5 - Pre-read verification: [5:52:17 @ 283 MB/s] SUCCESS # # Step 2 of 5 - Zeroing the disk: [11:33:22 @ 144 MB/s] SUCCESS # # Step 3 of 5 - Writing unRAID's Preclear signature: SUCCESS # # Step 4 of 5 - Verifying unRAID's Preclear signature: SUCCESS # # Step 5 of 5 - Post-Read verification: [11:16:49 @ 147 MB/s] SUCCESS # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ############################################################################################################################ # Cycle elapsed time: 28:42:38 | Total elapsed time: 28:42:38 # ############################################################################################################################ cat: /tmp/.preclear/sdf/smart_error: No such file or directory --> RESULT: Preclear Finished Successfully!.

Attachments area

23 minutes ago, Paul_Ber said:

Was I supposed to Format the Drive 1st?

UnRAID will format the drive when you add it to the array. You will see a format button near the bottom of the main page. If you are replacing a failed disk that contains data, unRAID will also have to rebuild the data on the new disk.

5 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

UnRAID will format the drive when you add it to the array. You will see a format button near the bottom of the main page. If you are replacing a failed disk that contains data, unRAID will also have to rebuild the data on the new disk.

If you are replacing a failed disk, NEVER hit the format button. The rebuild includes the existing format, if you apply a fresh format, ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE GONE.

Pretty sure @wgstarks knows this, but the last sentence of his reply had an extra "also" that changed the meaning significantly, and format is never part of recovery.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, Interstellar said:

Any ideas why I'm now getting this error in the preview window? (Only change I've made is upgrading from 6.7.1 to 6.7.2)

tput: unknown terminal "tmux-256color"

Thoughts?

Cheers.

Still struggling with this if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers.

@Interstellar

only suggestion i can say is there is an incompatibility of preclear and 6.7.2  that needs to be updated

you can try what i done for other issues of preclear

1.. was downgrade to 6.6.6 and run preclear and no issues then upgrade back to 6.7.2  

2.  uninstall preclear

reboot

reinstall preclear but dont reboot

run the preclear on your hd  

3.  same as 2  but i done a reboot after reinstall  but i dont run anything to start any dockers etc  just preclear.. but it fails later again that i cant use preclear and i have to run the steps above again

that seems to work for the not starting display issues  resuming issue.. as preclear wont resume in its current state with 6.7.2    

but you could try that ..  maybe it doesnt give you that issue

and if your doing a big hard drive... id reccommend  using a UPS  if you dont have one.. with this issue  Resuming preclear doesnt work...

now i dont know if this will fix your error or not.. i just giving my 2 cents worth in... hope it helps your issue

I have an issue when preclearing disks in a certain HDD slot in my server. I have tried two different HDDs and they both work OK in a different slot but both give this error in this specific slot. I already changed the SATA cable but still the issue remains. However, the preclear goes through succesfully but I do not like the log and in the end it is stated that the link speed is lowered to 3Gbs.

Any idea what might be the issue? The SMART report does not report any bad sectors.

Thank you!

The full log is attached. Here only the start of the issue and the end of log:

Jul 16 12:14:21 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: WDC_WD30EFRX-68AXXXX_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX (sdg) 512 5860533168
Jul 16 12:14:21 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0xffffff7f SErr 0x400000 action 0x6 frozen
Jul 16 12:14:21 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: irq_stat 0x08000000, interface fatal error
Jul 16 12:14:21 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5: SError: { Handshk }
Jul 16 12:14:21 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
Jul 16 12:14:21 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: cmd 61/40:00:40:e7:00/05:00:00:00:00/40 tag 0 ncq dma 688128 out
Jul 16 12:14:22 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: status: { DRDY }

[...]

Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: cmd 61/40:f0:c0:d8:01/05:00:00:00:00/40 tag 30 ncq dma 688128 out
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: status: { DRDY }
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: failed command: WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: cmd 61/40:f8:80:a5:02/05:00:00:00:00/40 tag 31 ncq dma 688128 out
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: status: { DRDY }
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5: hard resetting link
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 320)
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5.00: configured for UDMA/133
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: ata5: EH complete
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: Pausing preclear of disk 'sdg'
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: Resuming preclear of disk 'sdg'
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: Pausing preclear of disk 'sdg'
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: Resuming preclear of disk 'sdg'
Jul 16 12:14:39 preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXXX_XXXX: syslog: sdg: sdg1

preclear_disk_WD-WMC1T08XXXX_XXXX.txt

@ruato  

1... do you have hot swap backplane/modules in your case..... if you can move the cable from the slot is bad and move it up one to one that is working then you can test to see if the backplane/module is broken

2.. second test is it could be the motherboard...  take one of the slots that working  follow it to the motherboard and use that port to the slot on the hard drive that you find isnt working...  this will tell ya if the Sata port/chipset  on the motherboard is bad  and to avoid it..

3.. for your 3GB/s  your motherboard may be a 3GB and 6GB  be 2 different colors like Black be 3GB Ports and Red be  6GB ports

i myself was getting frustrated and my motherboard is a 3/6gb combo board so 4 and 4  ports  and i wanted all 8 6gb..  so i ended up getting a Raid Controller card.. so it doesnt use the built in ports on the asus board i using... i use a LSI raid controller board

give those tests a try 1 and 2,, it was heck for me brand new 6 12 tb drives giving error counts  and in end was the sata on the motherboard

Hello @gfjardim

When a drive is mounted as unassigned (not even shared), your plugin issues "lsof -- /mnt/disks/tempdrive" command every few seconds.

This causes remarkable CPU spikes (30% out of 400%) via process "php" and don´t let that drive ever spin down.

Would it be possible not to issue this command when no preclear activity takes place?

As workaround I have to uninstall this plugin, when not used.

This enhancement is much appreciated.

Edited by Forusim

Has anyone had any issues using the plugin on multiple drives concurrently?

I had a 4TB fail as soon as Post Read began.  I shutdown ran mem-test for 24 hrs and eliminated RAM as an issue. 

I did some googling and found anecdotal evidence on a reddit thread that concurrency was an issue.  I happened to be running preclear on an 8TB red at same time.

Spun the array back up, ran extended smart (no suggestions of disk health issues)  and no am running the plugin on the 4TB again.  It is currently 65% through post-read.

Running 6.7.2 and using an external usb 3.0 dock to run preclear (don't have any free sata ports or pci lanes for card atm).

I only ask, because I am upgrading my array from 5 x 4 TB, to 1 x 12tb + 4 x 10tb... and that is a lot of bits to preclear.  I would love to be able to run concurrently.

Does the script have any issues with  multiple drives if I were to just use user scripts?

I recently purchased twenty four 4TB NAS rated drives. So I had been using the pre-clear Plugin to preclear between two and four drives concurrently. I didn't run into any issues.

I have a fourth unRAID pro license so I just use that in a PC with a four drive cage. And do the prelear process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am currently trying to use the plugin from gfjardim, and I have some issue... Whenever I run, it pass the pre-read, and when in zeroing, after some time, the server stopped responding, I cannot access the WebUI, ping or remote access it. After I plugged a monitor, I notice that the server has stopped... with a message about Preclear failing. Error: Kernel Panic - not syncing.

There is nothing I can do except a cold reboot, and I can't find anything in the log. There is already 2 drives attached to my server each of 2TB, I am trying to add a new drive (which is also 2TB). I am running Unraid OS Basic version 6.7.0 if that matters.

Any help would be really appreciated!

16 minutes ago, noax said:

Any help would be really appreciated!

Just to be sure you know, there is no necessity to preclear drives. Some people like to use this plugin to test new drives before installing them in their array, but UnRAID will clear new drives when they are added to the array.

8 minutes ago, dgaschk said:

I’ve never seen a shell script lose compatibility.

These did lose compatibility but there were some patches made at some point. I think it might be a little disorganized and a bit of trouble for some trying to figure out how to get it all working again.

4 minutes ago, noax said:

Yeah, I am just following the unraid wiki to be honest, I just want to do it the proper way, but how can I add it without doing that?  Because the tutorial go through the Pre-clear method

Unraid clears a disk when you add it to a new data slot in an array that already has valid parity. This is the only scenario where Unraid requires a clear disk. It does this so parity will remain valid. A clear disk is all zeros and those zeros have no effect on parity.

Older versions (a few years ago now) would take the array offline to clear a disk, so preclear was created to clear a disk before adding it, so the array didn't have to go offline to clear the disk.

Current versions of Unraid clear the disk without taking the array offline, so that purpose of preclear isn't really needed anymore. Many people still use preclear to test new disks. You can also use other methods to test a new disk, such as the diagnostics provided by disk manufacturers as free downloads.

20 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unraid clears a disk when you add it to a new data slot in an array that already has valid parity. This is the only scenario where Unraid requires a clear disk. It does this so parity will remain valid. A clear disk is all zeros and those zeros have no effect on parity.

Older versions (a few years ago now) would take the array offline to clear a disk, so preclear was created to clear a disk before adding it, so the array didn't have to go offline to clear the disk.

Current versions of Unraid clear the disk without taking the array offline, so that purpose of preclear isn't really needed anymore. Many people still use preclear to test new disks. You can also use other methods to test a new disk, such as the diagnostics provided by disk manufacturers as free downloads.

Thanks a lot for your explanation, now I understand, but if I format, wouldn't I lose everything?!

• Squid unpinned this topic