Preclear plugin

I've just gone back to the previous version, and it works fine. Ran a full preclear on a smaller drive (which failed MBR verification on the new one) overnight.

Just pull from the prevoius commit like so:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/2e4cd4b6568c64b58782388eff7fba550e91da03/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

I'm assuming this move to starting from sector 64 (rather than 1) has it misassigning during the MBR verification. Can't say for sure, but one thing I know is someone doesn't check their commits :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, HeyBurt said:

I've just gone back to the previous version, and it works fine. Ran a full preclear on a smaller drive (which failed MBR verification on the new one) overnight.

Just pull from the prevoius commit like so:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/2e4cd4b6568c64b58782388eff7fba550e91da03/plugins/preclear.disk.plg

I'm assuming this move to starting from sector 64 (rather than 1) has it misassigning during the MBR verification. Can't say for sure, but one thing I know is someone doesn't check their commits :)

How did you find those?  I spent way too much time looking for previous plg files yesterday but I'm not much of a Github user.

Ok, guys, @HeyBurt is right, apparently the formatting part got right but the verification doesn't. I've just updated the plugin to try to solve this. I've added more debug verbosity to help me fix it in case this update doesn't address the issue.

For those that want to test it, there's a small trick to limit the preclear routine to the first 4Gib of the drive. In <server name> > Tools > Preclear, hit Help in the menu bar, than click Start preclear.  In the dialog, at the bottom, you have to select Enable Testing (just for debugging). This will limit all read/write routines to the first 4Gib, and as the name say, speed up the debugging process. If it's successful, I still recommend a normal/full pass, even if the disk has been zeroed before.

In case of issues with the new version, please send me the logs.

Edited by gfjardim
8 hours ago, gfjardim said:

Ok, guys, @HeyBurt is right, apparently the formatting part got right but the verification doesn't. I've just updated the plugin to try to solve this. I've added more debug verbosity to help me fix it in case this update doesn't address the issue.

For those that want to test it, there's a small trick to limit the preclear routine to the first 4Gib of the drive. In <server name> > Tools > Preclear, hit Help in the menu bar, than click Start preclear.  In the dialog, at the bottom, you have to select Enable Testing (just for debugging). This will limit all read/write routines to the first 4Gib, and as the name say, speed up the debugging process. If it's successful, I still recommend a normal/full pass, even if the disk has been zeroed before.

In case of issues with the new version, please send me the logs.

This test worked for me as well.  My x2 12TBs from WD easystores have failed once or twice already with the signature error.

Currently they are running again starting from the ZERO point (skip pre-read).

Edited by TheDon
14 minutes ago, Arcadejunkie said:

Hello,

I have ran preclear on two separate disks and both fail writing zeroes to the drive saying it failed mbr write.  These are being run on 10g drives and happens about 24 hours in.   Is there something I’m doing wrong?

TIA

Have you updated the plugin? There is an update released day or two ago for that exact issue.

If you have updated and the problem still is present, send logs so the author can take a look.

• Squid unpinned this topic