Preclear plugin

A bug report of sorts to raise - I just popped a new disk in (fresh out of a virgin anti static bag) and went to use the plugin.

I have previously used it to pre clear another disk, which (perhaps unrelated) was the same make/model/capacity.

The disk shows as pre clear having already completed, so there is no option to start it. Similarly in the main unraid dashboard it shows in Unassigned Devices as "Preclear in progress... Preclear Finished Successfully!"

I suspect this is because I have a permanently empty bay which I use for preclearing, then when its complete I move the drive to its 'correct' location. This means (again, speculative) that the new drive has come up with the same sdX as the previous successful pre clear, and the plugin thinks its already been dealt with.

If I run the old-style preclear_disk.sh script with -l, it does indeed identify this new one as being in need of a pre clear, and this serves as my stopgap method using the old screen approach.

Im not sure if a reboot would fix this, and its not a show stopper by any means, but I thought it couldn't hurt to raise it. Thank you for your ongoing efforts, gfjardim :)

A bug report of sorts to raise - I just popped a new disk in (fresh out of a virgin anti static bag) and went to use the plugin.

I have previously used it to pre clear another disk, which (perhaps unrelated) was the same make/model/capacity.

The disk shows as pre clear having already completed, so there is no option to start it. Similarly in the main unraid dashboard it shows in Unassigned Devices as "Preclear in progress... Preclear Finished Successfully!"

I suspect this is because I have a permanently empty bay which I use for preclearing, then when its complete I move the drive to its 'correct' location. This means (again, speculative) that the new drive has come up with the same sdX as the previous successful pre clear, and the plugin thinks its already been dealt with.

If I run the old-style preclear_disk.sh script with -l, it does indeed identify this new one as being in need of a pre clear, and this serves as my stopgap method using the old screen approach.

Im not sure if a reboot would fix this, and its not a show stopper by any means, but I thought it couldn't hurt to raise it. Thank you for your ongoing efforts, gfjardim :)

This is because you removed the old drive and the Linux UDEV subsystem reused it's device name. You can easily remove the old instance by clicking the X icon next to the new drive name.

Got this email from the daily cron after the auto-update to the new preclear version. I wasn't even using the plugin at the time and in fact, haven't used it in months.

I assume your plugin is to blame due to the mention of "tor" and it is the only thing that changed overnight.

error: Ignoring tor because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

error: skipping "/var/log/apcupsd.events" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group [...]

Can data collecting be an opt-in feature PLEASE?  both of my home servers and my work server autoupdated the plugin last night.  The plugin was not in use on any machine.  If this cannot be an opt-in feature I'll sadly have to go back to a v5 build with the JoeL script just for clearing disks at work as we do 3 preclears on all new disks... and 3 preclears on all decommissioned disks and data cannot flow out of the company.

While receiving this email was mildly irksome on the 2 home machines... the use of TOR, which is STRICTLY prohibited on any work network, set off a bunch of red flags at work as my business revolves around government/bank/broker/customer confidential information... and I was called in EARLY to investigate who was attempting to breach NDAs to leak restricted information and have been in meetings with the parent company and our customers over what happened for the last 3 hours.   

I have been very happy with your contributions/work... this update was less than pleasing.

I suspect this is because I have a permanently empty bay which I use for preclearing, then when its complete I move the drive to its 'correct' location.

Do you mean that you physically move the drive without shutting down the server?

I stop the array, pull the drive, relocate the drive, restart the array.

This is because you removed the old drive and the Linux UDEV subsystem reused it's device name. You can easily remove the old instance by clicking the X icon next to the new drive name.

So when I hover over the red X, the tooltip says "Stop Preclear" (obviously there isn't one ongoing) and clicking it refreshes the page, but doesn't actually change anything that I can see - I've still no option to start a preclear. Pretty sure by now that Im missing something obvious, but not sure what it is!

I suspect this is because I have a permanently empty bay which I use for preclearing, then when its complete I move the drive to its 'correct' location.

Do you mean that you physically move the drive without shutting down the server?

So when I hover over the red X, the tooltip says "Stop Preclear" (obviously there isn't one ongoing) and clicking it refreshes the page, but doesn't actually change anything that I can see - I've still no option to start a preclear. Pretty sure by now that Im missing something obvious, but not sure what it is!

Is it mounted by Unassigned Devices?

While receiving this email was mildly irksome on the 2 home machines... the use of TOR, which is STRICTLY prohibited on any work network, set off a bunch of red flags at work as my business revolves around government/bank/broker/customer confidential information... and I was called in EARLY to investigate who was attempting to breach NDAs to leak restricted information and have been in meetings with the parent company and our customers over what happened for the last 3 hours.   

How on earth did an unsecure machine get outbound internet access in a secure facility? Was the firewall breached somehow? Unraid should never have been allowed on the network in the first place, it's pretty much a security breach waiting to happen.

This is it in unassigned devices:

erU1iGk.png

The tooltip over its blue icon shows "New Device" but it looks as though the only available action is to spin it down. Thank you for replying to my questions, gfjardim - it is very much appreciated.

How on earth did an unsecure machine get outbound internet access in a secure facility? Was the firewall breached somehow? Unraid should never have been allowed on the network in the first place, it's pretty much a security breach waiting to happen.

The firewall is only open at certain days/times and only when certain conditions are met.  The firewall controls are separate from the rest of the network.  The firewall slams shut if certain kinds of traffic are detected (TOR being one of those)

Unraid is not work's primary backup.  It is an onsite backup to the backups.  We replaced our Ubuntu based backup years ago as Unraid was more stable for this function.  We are required to have this onsite backup and it must use a different OS/filesystem from the primary data. 

CA Auto Update is scheduled to run at a time when other machines have access to reach out for updates while the firewall is open.  As such, no user has access to touch files.

A script from another machine runs via SSH which stops samba, unmounts each disk, etc

The firewall will not open if samba is detected on the network.

Before the start of the day, samba and the array is restarted

I do not have access to manage the firewall or the Samba policies/protocols -> that belongs to a separate independent entity.

Back to the original question.  Can the preclear data collection be Opt-In… or at least an option to Opt-Out?

I just got some help from gfjardim via PM - my problem was that I was missing the Unassigned Devices plugin - with it I was able to kick off my preclear as I wanted. I'd just like mostly to give thanks to gfjardim for his help here - there wasn't a bug, rather a misunderstanding on my part, and the support I got was the kind of top notch you'd not dare hope for even if you'd parted with a great deal of money. Really above and beyond the call of duty and I am very thankful. Outstanding :)

The firewall is only open at certain days/times and only when certain conditions are met.  The firewall controls are separate from the rest of the network.  The firewall slams shut if certain kinds of traffic are detected (TOR being one of those)

Unraid is not work's primary backup.  It is an onsite backup to the backups.  We replaced our Ubuntu based backup years ago as Unraid was more stable for this function.  We are required to have this onsite backup and it must use a different OS/filesystem from the primary data. 

CA Auto Update is scheduled to run at a time when other machines have access to reach out for updates while the firewall is open.  As such, no user has access to touch files.

A script from another machine runs via SSH which stops samba, unmounts each disk, etc

The firewall will not open if samba is detected on the network.

Before the start of the day, samba and the array is restarted

I do not have access to manage the firewall or the Samba policies/protocols -> that belongs to a separate independent entity.

Back to the original question.  Can the preclear data collection be Opt-In… or at least an option to Opt-Out?

It is Opt-In. The Tor service is only activated while uploading the stats.

What do you need to satisfy your company's policy?

Thank you! this WILL be turned on my home machines :)

the ability to ensure that reach outs will not happen automatically (opt-in)

And loosing the word TOR from email notifications (which is what triggered the response) when not opting-in would help a great deal too!

You brought to my attention this problem with corporate rules, and I think it's very positive for the plugin development.

I'll remove the report functionality from the plugin altogether, and make a separate plugin for that. Upon installation, users will be prompted if they want to install the new plugin or not. This will avoid the download of TOR inside corporate facilities and avoid this kind of situation.

My deepest apologies for the mess it created.

Most of my communication here is in regards to personal machine tinkering... not the office use.

Please, no need to apologize

I am certain this use case represents a VERY small fraction of Unraid users, nevertheless it thrills me in how responsive you are in meeting it!  You are a fantastic contributor to fleshing out the core functionality

I am looking forward to installing the optional reporting on my 2 home machines :)

Most of my communication here is in regards to personal machine tinkering... not the office use.

Please, no need to apologize

I am certain this use case represents a VERY small fraction of Unraid users, nevertheless it thrills me in how responsive you are in meeting it!  You are a fantastic contributor to fleshing out the core functionality

I am looking forward to installing the optional reporting on my 2 home machines :)

Just updated the plugin. You will be asked to install "Statistics" after update.

... as we do 3 preclears on all new disks... and 3 preclears on all decommissioned disks and data cannot flow out of the company.

In the next update a Erase option will be available. It will use random generated data to fill the disk, making drive wipe more secure. I'm pretty sure you will make a good use of it.

Great additional work, gfjardim!

I've been puzzled by the emails I've been getting the last couple of days

Got this email from the daily cron after the auto-update to the new preclear version. I wasn't even using the plugin at the time and in fact, haven't used it in months.

I assume your plugin is to blame due to the mention of "tor" and it is the only thing that changed overnight.

error: skipping "/var/log/apcupsd.events" because parent directory has insecure permissions (It's world writable or writable by group [...]

but between work, Christmas preparations, and kids visiting, I haven't had time to research it. When I finally did, the answer is already here!

The real prompt for figuring out what the heck was going on, though, was the prompt to install the Statistics Plugin with a mention of TOR. Having no recollection of ever having unRAID prompt me to install anything before (as opposed to the auto-update, which is awesome), I was quite concerned. The good news is that a search for "statistics" in the plugin support forum brought me directly to the answer.

I'd suggest that you may want to modify the pop-up for future users to tell them that this is coming from the pre-clear plugin and add a link to the pop-up itself that takes users directly to the support page.

Great additional work, gfjardim!

I've been puzzled by the emails I've been getting the last couple of days

but between work, Christmas preparations, and kids visiting, I haven't had time to research it. When I finally did, the answer is already here!

The real prompt for figuring out what the heck was going on, though, was the prompt to install the Statistics Plugin with a mention of TOR. Having no recollection of ever having unRAID prompt me to install anything before (as opposed to the auto-update, which is awesome), I was quite concerned. The good news is that a search for "statistics" in the plugin support forum brought me directly to the answer.

I'd suggest that you may want to modify the pop-up for future users to tell them that this is coming from the pre-clear plugin and add a link to the pop-up itself that takes users directly to the support page.

Done. Thanks for your suggestion.

I just got some help from gfjardim via PM - my problem was that I was missing the Unassigned Devices plugin - with it I was able to kick off my preclear as I wanted. I'd just like mostly to give thanks to gfjardim for his help here - there wasn't a bug, rather a misunderstanding on my part, and the support I got was the kind of top notch you'd not dare hope for even if you'd parted with a great deal of money. Really above and beyond the call of duty and I am very thankful. Outstanding :)

As a follow up to this, I've established that it does count as a very minor bug - the problem is that the 'stop pre clear' Red X button doesn't clear down the status of a device if you click it in Safari. It works just as intended in Chrome. Just submitting for clarity!

Done. Thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks for the quick updates, gf!

Maybe I spoke too soon. I got this email this morning:

Subject:  cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null

body: error: Ignoring tor because of bad file mode - must be 0644 or 0444.

Not sure if this is explicitly because of the pre-clear updates, but I'm pretty these started showing up on the day of the pre-clear update.

I have failure to preclear disk still on 2016.12.23a. Looks like it's still exiting with code 1.

From the notifications it passes 75%. I tried sending the statistics, but that failed with error code 7.

In the reports you can see that the drives are seen as 4TB, but they are 3TB and everywhere in the unraid GUI it's 3TB, so not sure where you got the 4TB from. There are no 4TB drives in the server.

preclear_disk_sde_12646: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 1 --frequency 4 --cycles 3 --skip-preread --no-prompt /dev/sde
preclear_disk_sde_12646: xargs: unmatched double quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option
preclear_disk_sde_12646: Zeroing: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde bs=2097152 seek=1 conv=fdatasync,noerror oflag=direct
preclear_disk_sde_12646: Zeroing: dd pid [15073]
preclear_disk_sdf_15203: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 1 --frequency 4 --cycles 3 --skip-preread --no-prompt /dev/sdf
preclear_disk_sdf_15203: xargs: unmatched double quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option
preclear_disk_sdf_15203: Zeroing: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=2097152 seek=1 conv=fdatasync,noerror oflag=direct
preclear_disk_sdf_15203: Zeroing: dd pid [17750]
preclear_disk_sde_12646: Zeroing: dd command failed, exit code: 1
preclear_disk_sdf_15203: Zeroing: dd command failed, exit code: 1
preclear_disk_sde_12906: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 1 --frequency 4 --cycles 1 --skip-preread --no-prompt /dev/sde
preclear_disk_sde_12906: xargs: unmatched double quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option
preclear_disk_sde_12906: Zeroing: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde bs=2097152 seek=1 conv=fdatasync,noerror oflag=direct
preclear_disk_sde_12906: Zeroing: dd pid [15330]
preclear_disk_sde_29292: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 1 --frequency 4 --cycles 3 --skip-preread --no-prompt /dev/sde
preclear_disk_sdf_29522: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 1 --frequency 4 --cycles 3 --skip-preread --no-prompt /dev/sdf
preclear_disk_sdf_29522: xargs: unmatched double quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option
preclear_disk_sdf_29522: Zeroing: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdf bs=2097152 seek=1 conv=fdatasync,noerror oflag=direct
preclear_disk_sdf_29522: Zeroing: dd pid [31956]
preclear_disk_sde_29292: xargs: unmatched double quote; by default quotes are special to xargs unless you use the -0 option
preclear_disk_sde_29292: Zeroing: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sde bs=2097152 seek=1 conv=fdatasync,noerror oflag=direct
preclear_disk_sde_29292: Zeroing: dd pid [2105]
preclear_disk_sde_29292: Zeroing: dd command failed, exit code: 1
preclear_disk_sdf_29522: Zeroing: dd command failed, exit code: 1

Sreports from the plugin directory:

[report]
url = "https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIzz2yKJknHCrrpw3KmUjlNhbYabDoECq_vVe9XyFeE_gs-w/formResponse"
title = "Preclear Disk<br>Send Anonymous Statistics"
text = "Send <span style='font-weight:bold;'>anonymous</span> statistics (using TOR) to the developer, helping on bug fixes, performance tunning and usage statistics that will be open to the community. For detailed information, please visit the <a href='http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39985.0'>support forum topic</a>."

[model]
entry = 'entry.1754350191'
title = "Disk Model"
value = "TOSHIBA DT01ACA300"

[size]
entry = 'entry.1497914868'
title = "Disk Size"
value = "4TB"

[controller]
entry = 'entry.2002415860'
title = 'Disk Controller'
value = "Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)"

[preread]
entry  = 'entry.2099803197'
title = "Pre-Read Average Speed"
value = n/a

[postread]
entry = 'entry.1410821652'
title = "Post-Read Average Speed"
value = "n/a"

[zeroing]
entry  = 'entry.1433994509'
title = "Zeroing Average Speed"
value = "n/a"

[cycles]
entry = "entry.765505609"
title = "Cycles"
value = "3"

[time]
entry = 'entry.899329837'
title = "Total Elapsed Time"
value = "5:12:47"

[smart]
entry = 'entry.1973215494'
title = "SMART Device Type"
value = defaultdefault

[success]
entry = 'entry.704369346'
title = "Success"
value = "No - Zeroing the disk failed."

[log]
entry = 'entry.1470248957'
title = "Log"
value = ""

[report]
url = "https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfIzz2yKJknHCrrpw3KmUjlNhbYabDoECq_vVe9XyFeE_gs-w/formResponse"
title = "Preclear Disk<br>Send Anonymous Statistics"
text = "Send <span style='font-weight:bold;'>anonymous</span> statistics (using TOR) to the developer, helping on bug fixes, performance tunning and usage statistics that will be open to the community. For detailed information, please visit the <a href='http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39985.0'>support forum topic</a>."

[model]
entry = 'entry.1754350191'
title = "Disk Model"
value = "TOSHIBA DT01ACA300"

[size]
entry = 'entry.1497914868'
title = "Disk Size"
value = "4TB"

[controller]
entry = 'entry.2002415860'
title = 'Disk Controller'
value = "Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)"

[preread]
entry  = 'entry.2099803197'
title = "Pre-Read Average Speed"
value = n/a

[postread]
entry = 'entry.1410821652'
title = "Post-Read Average Speed"
value = "n/a"

[zeroing]
entry  = 'entry.1433994509'
title = "Zeroing Average Speed"
value = "n/a"

[cycles]
entry = "entry.765505609"
title = "Cycles"
value = "3"

[time]
entry = 'entry.899329837'
title = "Total Elapsed Time"
value = "5:06:44"

[smart]
entry = 'entry.1973215494'
title = "SMART Device Type"
value = defaultdefault

[success]
entry = 'entry.704369346'
title = "Success"
value = "No - Zeroing the disk failed."

[log]
entry = 'entry.1470248957'
title = "Log"
value = ""

Hi;

I installed and ran this plugin to successfully clear a disk, which I set aside as a backup.  I have another to preclear, and (without rebooting the server) I plugged into the same slot.  Opening the preclear plugin page, the drive is detected as sdk, and the correct serial number is presented for the new drive.  however, the report says "preclear finished successfully" which relates to the previous drive.

I can't figure out what to do to re-initialize a new preclear.  I haven't resorted to rebooting the server or reinstalling the plugin, but have tried just about everything else, clicking every link like a self-educating monkey.

This doesn't happen very often, of course, but am I missing a switch to run preclear again?

Thanks

Dennis

Hi;

I installed and ran this plugin to successfully clear a disk, which I set aside as a backup.  I have another to preclear, and (without rebooting the server) I plugged into the same slot.  Opening the preclear plugin page, the drive is detected as sdk, and the correct serial number is presented for the new drive.  however, the report says "preclear finished successfully" which relates to the previous drive.

I can't figure out what to do to re-initialize a new preclear.  I haven't resorted to rebooting the server or reinstalling the plugin, but have tried just about everything else, clicking every link like a self-educating monkey.

This doesn't happen very often, of course, but am I missing a switch to run preclear again?

Thanks

Dennis

In Unassigned Devices, you can see a X icon next to the disk serial which can be used to clear the old session. In Tools > Preclear Disk, that icon exist too with same functionality.

As a follow up to this, I've established that it does count as a very minor bug - the problem is that the 'stop pre clear' Red X button doesn't clear down the status of a device if you click it in Safari. It works just as intended in Chrome. Just submitting for clarity!

I can confirm this bug in Safari. I have a drive that has had some problems in another storage system recently so I put it in unRAID to run preclear on it. After one preclear, clicking the red X in Safari (I wanted to start another) did nothing.

I finally saw this post and installed Chrome. Clicked the red X and I'm ready to run a preclear again on this drive.

Thanks!

• Squid featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic
  • Squid unpinned this topic