Preclear plugin

superderpbro, I am having this exact same problem. I was running the pre-clear plugin and once my disc hit 86% complete I lost the Web GUI and now I can't even SSH or Telnet in. Another member here danioj suggested that I post in this thread instead of the General Support thread.

The disk that I am pre-clearing is just an unassigned disk.   

Edited by ucliker

My webgui came back after preclear finished the step it was on, I left it for a few hours then got the email on my phone that zeroing was done.. Now everything is fine and the cycle is complete. Weird but glad i didnt reboot heh

Still be nice to know if you can check preclear status in ssh if it was started by the plugin.

Edited by superderpbro
On 3/8/2017 at 4:17 AM, superderpbro said:

Is there a way to see the status of a preclear started by the plugin VIA SSH?

Right above your post is mine having a similar problem, but there is a file created  "/tmp/preclear_stat_sd?" that you can look at.  The file not changing, or the time stamp might help you understand if it's still functioning.

Edited by thespooler
1 hour ago, GENINC said:

Preclear not working on drives, and no identification on the drives. All drive attributes (Family, model, serial etc.) are marked red as undefined. I am not sure if that has something to do with me not able to preclear any drives.

How are the drives attached?

Tried to use this plugin (up-to-date, version 2017.02.16a using default script) for the first time this weekend... everything 'seemed' to be going OK - had gone through read and zero phases, was in final post-read phase

(I'm running unRAID 6.3.2 on a LimeTech-built MD-1510/LI - I don't have a ton of add-ons - Nerd Tools and Preclear Disk only)

...until I noticed this AM that the disk being pre-cleared (sdb) had reverted to green (not-busy) LED and the preclear process seemed to be stuck at 80%

unfortunately, I didn't save the syslog (although I looked at it and couldn't find anything notable) and have since re-booted

but I do have the preclear log

(IIRC, the dd process of the Post-Read (pid 7569) was NOT present in the ps list when I checked, which makes sense given that nothing was happening)

what surprises me is that even though a dd failure in the Zeroing phase was listed as a failure in the preclear plugin's log, the main plugin never seems to have noticed/acknowledged this and just carried on - is that supposed to happen??

here is that log:

I'm currently re-running the most up-to-date Joe L. cmdline script on that drive in a screen window, as per my previous workflow

Mar 10 10:13:00 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Command: /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/preclear.disk/script/preclear_disk.sh --notify 1 --frequency 4 --cycles 1 --no-prompt /dev/sdb
Mar 10 10:13:00 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Preclear Disk Version: 0.8.4-beta
Mar 10 10:13:00 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: S.M.A.R.T. info type: default
Mar 10 10:13:00 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: S.M.A.R.T. attrs type: default
Mar 10 10:13:05 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Pre-Read: dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null bs=2097152  iflag=direct
Mar 10 10:13:05 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Pre-Read: dd pid [28700]
Mar 10 23:30:10 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Pre-Read: dd - read 6001175126016 of 6001175126016.
Mar 10 23:30:10 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: : 0
Mar 10 23:30:11 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Zeroing: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=2097152 seek=1 conv=fdatasync,noerror oflag=direct
Mar 10 23:30:11 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Zeroing: dd pid [28345]
Mar 11 12:34:15 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Zeroing: dd - wrote 6001173028864 of 6001175126016.
Mar 11 12:34:16 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Zeroing: dd command failed, exit code: 1
Mar 11 12:34:19 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Post-Read: dd if=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=4096 skip=1 iflag=direct
Mar 11 12:34:20 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Post-Read: dd pid [7548]
Mar 11 12:34:20 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Post-Read: dd if=/dev/sdb bs=2097152  skip=1 iflag=direct 2>/tmp/.preclear/sdb/dd_output | cmp - /dev/zero &>/tmp/.preclear/sdb/cmp_out 
Mar 11 12:34:20 preclear_disk_WD-WX21DC59ACN7_26175: Post-Read: dd pid [7569]

Edited by magic144
added pid qualifier
On 13.3.2017 at 5:06 AM, squirrellydw said:

The plugin isn't working, just says " Please wait... retrieving information!"  I have a HGST 4TB NAS drive

i have the exact same error. wanted to preclear my new USB seagate 5TB drive outside of the array and swap it with the parity after that, but it keeps spinning all the time. 

unssigned Drive reformatted the Drive to XFS without any problems, but the preclear button don't work there either. 

i have 1.15 version of Joe Ls Script on the boot drive. tried it also without it. no luck. keeps spinning, but why? 

Hi,

UNRaid noob here. I may be just misunderstanding something, but want to make sure I don't have bad disks... I posted this in the General Support subforum, but it was suggested I repost here.

---------

Just completed my first build, and to prep for configuring the array, I ran pre-clear on 2 brand new 8TB drives (Seagate Ironwolfs), in parallel;

this included pre- and post-read passes, one zeroing cycle.) It took ~36 hours which seems reasonable.

After completion, the WebGUI Preclear plugin page's status says "Preclear Finished Successfully!" for both drives, and the post-preclear report (generated by the "eye" icon) also looks fine to me.

However, the actual log has the warning

"Zeroing: dd command failed, exit code: 1"

on  the dd command in the zeroing phase, from both  drives at the exact same location before the location where the pre-read ended. The post-read pass also stopped at the same location.

Searching the forum, I've seen a couple of threads with the same error message, but it doesn't seem to be the same behavior: In those cases, the pre-clear stopped on the error, which it didn't in my case, or it was a HW issue (cable / bad SATA port) -- the fact that in my case  the error happened at the exact same disk location for both disks seems to rule that out.
I notice that there was another post a few days ago about the zero-write phase not stopping the pre-clear process despite showing an error; even if the dd command is not told when to stop, I'd expect the pre-read pass to have stopped on the same location. Having pre-read and post-read cover a different number of blocks seems problematic.

Another odd thing is that after the Pre-clears completed, the UNassigned Devices plugin shows only one of the 2 disks as being pre-cleared in the "FS" (I assume Filesystem?) column, and displays  Auto-mount, Share, Script Log and Script as available for that one only.

Anything to worry about here? I'd rather not redo the whole pre-clear unless really necessary.

Additional details:

UNRaid v6.3.1, plugin Pre-clear Disks 0.8.4-beta of 2017.02.16a

Before  the pre-clear, I ran the short SMART test which passed fine (both drives).

Attached:

pre-preclear SMART tests, Post-preclear reports, preclear log, Diagnostics file, screen cap of Unassigned Devices.

Any additional info I can provide? I'm holding off on further pre-clears, reboots etc. so I don't clobber it.

ST8000VN0022-2EL112_ZA160BZK-20170313-0214.txt

ST8000VN0022-2EL112_ZA160HNB-20170313-0220.txt

post-preclear report ZA160BZK.txt

post-preclear report ZA160HNB.txt

redrock-diagnostics-20170315-1548.zip

Preclear log.jpg

Unassigned Devices screenshot after pre-clear.jpg

Just wanted to follow-up comment after GreenDolphin's post.

Curiously their reported behavior seems *very* similar to my own (what with the write/zeroing cycle's dd "failure" and the the subsequent continuation of preclear scripting, even though a dd error was detected)

I also noticed that GreenDolphin's write cycle also seems to have failed EXACTLY with the same shortfall as mine (2097152 bytes) - even though we are dealing with different sized disks. Seems like too much of a coincidence.

I wonder if there is possibly something wrong with the write command or the calculation there-in - perhaps the author of that script (gfjardim) can comment?

FYI, the follow-up preclear attempt I just performed using Joe L's script (with all the latest fixes) has finished just fine.

Edited by magic144
add clarity
23 minutes ago, magic144 said:

Curiously their reported behavior seems *very* similar to my own (what with the write/zeroing cycle's dd "failure" and the the subsequent continuation of preclear scripting, even though a dd error was detected)

I also noticed that GreenDolphin's write cycle also seems to have failed EXACTLY with the same shortfall as mine (2097152 bytes) - even though we are dealing with different sized disks.

No, there's no failure, no shortfall.  Please see my comments here

And a few posts up from that, I have a comment about the apparent "dd error", which may not be an error but just the flag that there's nothing left to write.

Edited by RobJ
add note

Thanks for the reply, RobJ - I didn't see the other thread.

Probably try it again next time with JoeL up-to-date script under the covers. It doesn't seem to be maintained anymore, so I wanted to migrate to the latest/greatest. Might just have been bad luck something else went wrong to leave my preclear stuck at 80%... :(

Takes so damn long to clear/test these monster drives!!

By the way, I don't want to completely wave off the dd write error that is concerning some.  I was just trying to offer a possible explanation, but only gfjardim can say for sure, once he's back.  He's a busy guy, generally only seems to be available to us a couple of times a month.  I do think it's a harmless one, but let's wait for him to say for sure.

24 minutes ago, cliewmc said:

I presume unassigned disk is a requirement for preclear plugin.

I don't think it is required, but I've never tried it that way. Even without the UD plugin, you still have unassigned devices. UD just allows you to work with them in some ways that you can't without going to the command line.

48 minutes ago, cliewmc said:

Can someone please advise which version of preclear plugin & unassigned disk plugin I can go back to so that I can preclear my disks? Not very good with the tech stuff, I presume unassigned disk is a requirement for preclear plugin. Any help will be greatly appreciated. There's an archive here: https://github.com/gfjardim/unRAID-plugins/blob/master/archive/

You could always try the manual method using Screen.

On 13.3.2017 at 6:06 AM, squirrellydw said:

The plugin isn't working, just says " Please wait... retrieving information!"  I have a HGST 4TB NAS drive

On 15.3.2017 at 1:29 AM, phenomeus said:

i have the exact same error. wanted to preclear my new USB seagate 5TB drive outside of the array and swap it with the parity after that, but it keeps spinning all the time. 

unssigned Drive reformatted the Drive to XFS without any problems, but the preclear button don't work there either. 

i have 1.15 version of Joe Ls Script on the boot drive. tried it also without it. no luck. keeps spinning, but why? 

I have the same problem.

if I try from command line:

preclear_bjp.sh -l

It shows sdf as available for preclear

I then try:

preclear_bjp.sh -c 1 -M 4 -A /dev/sdf

and am getting the help screen with all option ?! but no preclear running.

2 hours ago, theone said:

I have the same problem.

if I try from command line:

preclear_bjp.sh -l

It shows sdf as available for preclear

I then try:

preclear_bjp.sh -c 1 -M 4 -A /dev/sdf

and am getting the help screen with all option ?! but no preclear running.

Read through that. It will help.

On 24/02/2017 at 8:59 PM, wgstarks said:

Previous post was clipped. Here's the rest-

I've reverted back to 2017.02.05 which was the latest working version I had in backup. This is working good for me for now, I'll just have to remember not to update (unless you have some other suggestion?). Hopefully gfgardim will correct the min version level so that CA won't keep prompting me to update (if I'm understanding that process correctly).

I'll implement a workaround so you can use the updated plugin.

On 05/03/2017 at 9:17 AM, RobJ said:

@gfjardim, this (no need for screen any more) sounds like a good candidate for a Q & A, in your first post.

Will update the OP to reflect this information. Thanks.

On 08/03/2017 at 10:26 PM, superderpbro said:

My webgui came back after preclear finished the step it was on, I left it for a few hours then got the email on my phone that zeroing was done.. Now everything is fine and the cycle is complete. Weird but glad i didnt reboot heh

Still be nice to know if you can check preclear status in ssh if it was started by the plugin.

Just type preclear in the SSH session.

On 12/03/2017 at 3:28 PM, magic144 said:

Looks like the write_disk function in preclear_disk.sh is NOT returning a non-zero value even though dd_exit IS (1).

This will take a longer time to trace and debug. I'll try to fix it ASAP.

• Squid unpinned this topic