windows 10 and nvidia gt610 graphics card

Mylo75

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2017-02-10T13:26:56.678813Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=03:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5: vfio: failed to set iommu for container: Operation not permitted

2017-02-10T13:26:56.678860Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=03:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5: vfio: failed to setup container for group 16

2017-02-10T13:26:56.678866Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=03:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5: vfio: failed to get group 16

2017-02-10T13:26:56.678883Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=03:00.0,id=hostdev0,x-vga=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5: Device initialization failed

Can anyone explain above error in noob language for me, I'm still learning at all this unraid business.

I'm trying to create a windows 10 vw using nvidia gt610 graphics card. If I select vnc when creating vm it works fine.

I have Enabled PCIe ACS Override and rebooted but that doesn't help.

Thanks in advance.

System info:

Model: Custom

M/B: Supermicro - X8DTL

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 12 GB (max. installable capacity 192 GB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500

eth0: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

eth1: 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.9.8-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.2j

"EDIT" Got the vm created by adding  append vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot to Syslinux Configuration

But hdmi from the graphics card  is showing no signal on my monitor. ???

"EDIT 2" After a few reboots the windows vm is now installing. Phew not bad for a noob.  :o

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Im getting the exact same problem, my VM runs fine in VNC but errors when I try to assign a graphics card.

Why does editing Syslinux fix this (haven't tried it yet)? Is this something to do with the graphics card not supporting UEFI and IOMMU? Im just wondering if buying a newer graphics card would fix the problem, rather than "hacking" the syslinux file?

Thanks.

OK, but am I not in the same position? I'm using a Supermicro MDB X10SL7-F-O with an E3 1231v3 CPU. The error message I am getting seems very similar to that mentioned above by Mylo75. I'm just worried that by adding the script to the syslinux.cfg it will create a situation wher data loss or lockups might occur within the VM? The phrase "unsafe" interrupts has me worried.

I'd rather spend money and buy a newer Graphics Card to fix the problem rather than start altering .cfg files, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Will an UEFI graphics card not fix the problem?

Thanks.

Edited by Jetjockey
1 hour ago, Jetjockey said:

OK, but am I not in the same position? I'm using a Supermicro MDB X10SL7-F-O with an E3 1231v3 CPU. The error message I am getting seems very similar to that mentioned above by Mylo75. I'm just worried that by adding the script to the syslinux.cfg it will create a situation wher data loss or lockups might occur within the VM? The phrase "unsafe" interrupts has me worried.

I'd rather spend money and buy a newer Graphics Card to fix the problem rather than start altering .cfg files, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Will an UEFI graphics card not fix the problem?

Thanks.

I don't know the specifics of your board, you would need o research it to determine if it is applicable. Especially if you're worried about it being "unsafe." I have it enabled on all my equipment with zero problems.

Altering te syslinux.cfg file is not a huge ordeal. Sure, you can mess things up, but you'll also limit yourself by never being able to isolate cpus from unraid (when needed) and other functional benefits.

You could go buy a new card with zero guarantee it would fix it. If the problem pertains to interrupt remapping, then I don't believe any card will work since it is a board issue (and I would welcome any correction on this topic where needed.) 

Also, you can receive this same error for several other reasons, a few being: failure to passthrough the GPU's audio component, having other devices in the IOMMU group that are not not passed to the vm, and faulty hardware either being he card or board. 

You can google more info on the line of code if you want. It seems it is a fairly common thing o ue when needed. Here is a link to promox's documentation about it: 5 IOMMU interrupt remapping

Hi.

Thanks for that, it's a great help. There's now been some progress. After trying various items such as ACS override and a new Graphics Card I've got it working. Both those items were the key.

The ACS override set to on allowed the VM to start without the IOMMU error messages, it allocated the graphics card and it's audio hardware their own IOMMU group. That alone wasn't enough though. The older graphics cards (Gforce GT7600GS and Gforce GT7300LE) were not up to the job. The newer Asus GT730 worked immediately.

Hope this helps somebody.

Didn't know you were using old cards....

Either way, good that it is working. IOMMU assignment issues are typically 1 of 3-4 things, and it's a mater of fiddling with them to figure out which one (hopefully) does the trick. Sometimes someone gets stuck and a solution is very difficult. 

The new card I purchased, the Asus GT730, seems to be a half length card. I didn't realise this whilst purchasingif I were to be truthful, it's the first card I've seen that's this short back to front.

Anyway, point is, it's quite compact and offers a few advantages as long as your not looking for gaming performance.

1) It will fit into a small case or onto a small Motherboard and is silent (no fan)

2) It will fit into  a half length Mobo slot.

I have one such slot on my X10SL7-F-O. It's marked as "PCH PCIe" as opposed to the full length slot next to it marked "CPU PCIe".

Im thinking that if placed in the shorter PCH PCIe slot it may be allocated its own IOMMU group without having to use the ACS override option in the VM Global settings. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Im just a little concerned at running the VM's with ACS override enabled as I'm not sure what the "side effects" might be.

I have 2 gt710's and a gt730 in a couple machines. Depending on manufacturer, they can be quite small or have huge sink. Not really a gaming card but fine for roblox and general web surfing/videos.

regarding ACS override, you're probably fine. Many folks have had it on for quite sometime with little to no issues. I think a few have though.... this article speaks a little about what it does: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/30/513 and i'm sure searching the forums might also yield some downsides.

If you're worried about having it enabled on all PCIe slots, I believe you can just enable it for the gpu and it's audio component only in the syslinux.cfg

Ahhh! Spot on. I was wondering if this could be set for individual slots. I'd love to know how to do this as tomorrow I plan to buy a GT710 or GT730 for the other slot. I'm sure I'm correct in thinking that you need a separate Graphics Card or GPU for each VM if you plan to run them at the same time. I'd like to have Win10 and Linux Mint running at the same time. Talking of which, all I need now is a video tutorial on which VM template to use for Mint and how to configure it.

It actually does it by device and not by slot, so a little bit of a misspeak....

for splitting out the cards, you will modify the syslinux.cfg again, changing what you did before o the following, you will need the card(s) device id number(s) after id:

append pcie_acs_override=id:10de:1381,10de:0fbc initrd=/bzroot

This is an example of an Nvidia card with audio/video only listed for the override. If you're using 2 cards, then you will have 4 numbers.

You can find device id numbers easily (well, I think it's easy) by clicking on tools tab, then system devices and search for the video/audio component of the card. 

That should do it.

To have 2 vm's running at the same time using a physical output, then yes, you do need 2 cards. As far as the mint setup... can't help you there. You might try searching the forums.