LibreELEC/OpenELEC Krypton templates?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2017 at 11:13 PM, Living Legend said:

Here's the rundown:

I found tweaks that were made on a nightly build that's actually already running Kodi 18.0.  These tweaks allowed LibreELEC to run in the manner we're looking, no dedicated graphics card on a VM.  Unfortunately, Kodi 18 has migrated to MyVideos108 rather than MyVideos107, so this wouln't help with our library syncing/updating goals.  So what I did was I took the source files from LibreELEC running Kodi 17.1, took the individual changes that were made to allow for us to be able to run without the GPU, compiled, and created what is essentially a new version of LibreELEC 8.0.

So yes, the end result of compiling the source code is an .img file which is precisely what we need to create a VM.  This will start out as our primary vdisk location.  Check out the below image to see how to set things up on the unRAID GUI:

16d5e7f160b0454bad869d11b38bb4d2.png

I believe you could also set the IMG file as the "OS Install ISO" instead, but I've always gone the route shown above.  Probably no difference.

After hitting create, you'll get brought back to the unRAID VM GUI.  Click the green triangle and connect via VNC.  At this point, it should look like a standard LibreELEC install.  It will ask you for an install location, and the only option should be the "2nd vDisk Location" which you created above.  Allow it to clear/format and overwrite this disk when performing the install.  When done, it'll says it's time to reboot.  At this point, go back to the VM screen and force kill the VM.  Then tap the red square and go to "EDIT".  Go to the Primary vDisk location and select NONE.  You no longer want the VM to run off of the original .img file.  Now, the secondary vDisk which is what we just installed the OS to will become your main drive.

After saving your changes, go back and this time after clicking on the red square, select "EDIT XML":

cd2d87f87b0747b4a1eb448873e40313.pngThe XML is the blueprint for the VM, presenting information ranging from resource allocation to peripheral location.  Here's what I would do.  Again, this is guess work fudging, but it's what worked for me.  Find the bracket towards the middle bottom starting with <channel type='unix'> and delete it along with everything below it to the bottom.  Now copy and paste my XML and replace it:

<channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-LibreELEC - Krypton/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5901' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='virtio' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>

The first part of your XML is specific to your setup, referencing resource allocation as well as disk locations.  They second half represents some of the tweaks needed to be made to allow VNC to work.

After these changes, save and boot!

EDIT: @hernandito to answer your last question about version changing.  If I understand correctly, your goal was about updating libraries, so just make sure that all of your client devices along with this VM stay on Krypton.  They can move from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 and beyond, as long as it's still on Krypton.  Once you move something off of Krypton and onto Kodi 18, it will be on a different database at which poitn you'll either have to roll it back, or move everything else up.  Fortunately, we also have a working file of Kodi 18 as this is where I got these fixes from, so we should be safeguarded for quite some time.

This worked Perfectly for me. Took me a bit. One thing to note is make sure of is to set the primary vDisk bus to SATA. This fixed an issue I had with the system not finding the img file.

Hi,

I'm running LibreElec 8.0.1 generic as a VM on my unraid. When I watch LiveTV (tvheadend or iptv) after a while it hangs the entire VM and have to force stop via dashboard. Sometimes it can take hour or two sometimes a few minutes after restart. everything freezes and no response from remote. 

I have another VM that runs win10 and it runs just fine. Pinned 2 cores on each VM from a total of 4. LibreElec has 2GB ram dedicated. 

Is there any way I can find out what is happening here? 

On 5/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, Drazzilb said:

This worked Perfectly for me. Took me a bit. One thing to note is make sure of is to set the primary vDisk bus to SATA. This fixed an issue I had with the system not finding the img file.

Worked for me also!!  I'm adding this to my personal unRAID knowledge-base for creation of LibreELEC VM's going forward.

Edited by cpthook
  • 5 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 8:37 AM, steve1977 said:

Has this been updated for LE 8.2?

Nope but LE 8.2 is easy to install from scratch. I just upgraded to a passive GTX 1030 in my UnRAid server,  rebuilding the VM from scratch took less than 5 min. 

Follow these steps: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=44683.0 You don't need to mess with the XML file anymore if you follow the general idea in the following video. 

and these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTU7Ufm9Bw

Butter smooth video and complete HD audio pass-through. The only thing I noticed was idle VM CPU cycles seem to be higher than the old 6.02 OpenElec I was running before.

Cheers,

BR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just hoping to revive this project... any plans on updating to the latest version of LibreElec?

It seems that the changes to the source code that allow for vnc never made it into the final source code.. the most recent releases of LibreElec all fail to run after installation because of the GPU issue.  Can't seem to figure out how to work around it.. 

On 9/15/2018 at 3:12 PM, Energen said:

Just hoping to revive this project... any plans on updating to the latest version of LibreElec?

It seems that the changes to the source code that allow for vnc never made it into the final source code.. the most recent releases of LibreElec all fail to run after installation because of the GPU issue.  Can't seem to figure out how to work around it.. 

You don't need this, linuxserver.io has Kodi headless templates for docker. All versions too, that's what I'm running these days.

1 hour ago, Furby8704 said:

we used templates because of the vnc gui. headless dockers dont have a gui. 

That's fine and dandy, but the reason this thread was started was to have a headless instance of KODI for database updates. 

If you need the GUI best solution is to pick up a $30 VGA card and create a KODI VM using IOMMU hardware pass through.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 1:25 PM, exist2resist said:

That's fine and dandy, but the reason this thread was started was to have a headless instance of KODI for database updates. 

If you need the GUI best solution is to pick up a $30 VGA card and create a KODI VM using IOMMU hardware pass through.

That's fine and dandy also, but for any of us that don't want to run a headless instance and would rather have an instance with a GUI through VNC the modifications made to allow VNC were an excellent thing.  But not having an updated version modified as new releases come out is not as excellent.

And if you refer back to your original thread, you only asked about the template, not necessarily only because it was headless.  Your intent might have been a headless version, but it has evolved into other people wanting a VNC GUI.

FWIW, one of the reasons I want/need a GUI is because every so often kodi hangs up with an error message that will not auto-close, I forget now exactly what it says but generally something about SMB timeout and can't access the scan paths.. and this prevents the database from updating until I log into the GUI and close the message and scan the library.  Headless = no way to know that the error message is up and the database is not updating.

Further, correct me if I'm wrong, but there'd also be no way to configure kodi's settings and such, installing addons, etc.. in headless mode.

Edited by Energen
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/6/2018 at 5:43 PM, Energen said:

That's fine and dandy also, but for any of us that don't want to run a headless instance and would rather have an instance with a GUI through VNC the modifications made to allow VNC were an excellent thing.  But not having an updated version modified as new releases come out is not as excellent.

And if you refer back to your original thread, you only asked about the template, not necessarily only because it was headless.  Your intent might have been a headless version, but it has evolved into other people wanting a VNC GUI.

FWIW, one of the reasons I want/need a GUI is because every so often kodi hangs up with an error message that will not auto-close, I forget now exactly what it says but generally something about SMB timeout and can't access the scan paths.. and this prevents the database from updating until I log into the GUI and close the message and scan the library.  Headless = no way to know that the error message is up and the database is not updating.

Further, correct me if I'm wrong, but there'd also be no way to configure kodi's settings and such, installing addons, etc.. in headless mode.

Sounds like you have configuration issue. 

I run a headless instance from linuxserver.io and I've had to restart it once in over a year.

I don't run any plugins in my headless instance, so I couldn't tel you. 

Your best option would be to buy a cheap graphics card and run a VM.

Hopefully you have an IOMMU enabled motherboard.