LibreELEC/OpenELEC Krypton templates?

I have a slightly un-related question about the VNC screen.

I have a personal web portal that I use to track all my stuff. I used to be able to have a web page where I embedded in an <iframe>  the url of the LibreELEC vnc screen. I could see this along with other personal data.

My link to the LE VNC interface is:

http://192.168.0.201:84/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/vnc.html?autoconnect=true&encrypt=0&host=192.168.0.201&port=5700

It used to work for a long time, but recently (not related to Krypton) it stoppedloading/displaying on an iframe. It shows up perfectly on its own window or tab.

Anyone have any clue?

Thank you...

18 hours ago, Furby8704 said:

got everything setup. eveything is working just fine.

laggy gui was a pain to setup though LOL

anyway to get past that??

thanks for everything!

3 hours ago, Living Legend said:

Take a look at the link to the commit that I posted which got this whole thing started:

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pull/1287

It says there needs to be a  /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf  file with the below:

cgroup_device_acl = [
    "/dev/null", "/dev/full", "/dev/zero",
    "/dev/random", "/dev/urandom",
    "/dev/ptmx", "/dev/kvm", "/dev/kqemu",
    "/dev/rtc","/dev/hpet", "/dev/vfio/vfio",
    "/dev/dri/renderD128"
]

I have not tried this yet, so I can't say what it will do.

Also, how have you allocated CPU & RAM to the VM?  Do you use the GUI on here much, or is it set just to update libraries?

I had that too... really slow interface... I then added more RAM to my VM and it seems to be better. Cant say its a huhge leap, as I do not need to setup again. I also cannot tell if its comparable to the Limetech template from Jarvis.

About to switch my CP and Sonarr to update through the VM.

PS. I also changed the resolution to something low like 800x400... less pixels to manipulated.

Edited by hernandito

Just for my own peace of mind, but is there anything you guys use this instance for outside of the 24/7 library updating?

With that said, after setup, I'd reduce CPU/RAM usage to as little as possible since periodic updates do not need the resources that a graphical experience would need.

EDIT:  Just a heads up, I just tried out 512MB and 1 CPU and am noticing no noticeable difference.  I'd advise not to waste your resources on this VM if used as a library updater.

Edited by Living Legend

Hi Mr. L

i use it for library and artwork update and for ocasional scanning of new movies without firing up TV set.

i also have a custom web portal that shows me what I have in my library. This portal queries the VM for this info.

i have one of those dual Xeon CPU rigs w/ 32 cores. Also 64gb ram. Resources are not much of an issue for me. If interested in the setup check out the thread in the Good Deals sub forum here. It was all second hand stuff. Around $180 for dual cpus, ram was like $60 (can't recall). Expensive part was the supemicro server motherboard around $300. Overall not a lot of $ for the power. But you really have to be careful to match all the specs of CPU/mobo and ram.

Edited by hernandito

hi guys, what purpose is to run KODI in VNC (remote session) ? u cant see it on tv via HDMI out or get 5.1 sound, right?

Or if im mistaken can u point me how to run it as "media center" for my living room? ive got ASrock j4205-ITX but from some reason pass-though isnt  working so i guess i can forget media center :(

thx

1 hour ago, killeriq said:

hi guys, what purpose is to run KODI in VNC (remote session) ? u cant see it on tv via HDMI out or get 5.1 sound, right?

Or if im mistaken can u point me how to run it as "media center" for my living room? ive got ASrock j4205-ITX but from some reason pass-though isnt  working so i guess i can forget media center :(

thx

Most of us on here are running Kodi in this VM in order to have what is essentially a Kodi server that runs 24/7 in the background and receives notifications from other applications telling it to update the media library.  VNC allows us to remote in from any location and be able to get a quick visual of what's going on.  VNC is certainly not intended to be used to stream the media.  It's simply our gateway to the GUI for those of us who do not have a graphics card on our server.

If hardware pass through isn't working with your motherboard, then you're going to need to run Kodi off something else.  If you're looking for a cheap solution for a media center, go with the Raspberry Pi 3.  It's going to be the best bang for your buck and be able to stream your media from your unRAID server.  Go on Amazon and you'll find bundles that come with the Pi3, case, and power supply for $50.  And you'll need a microSD card too if you don't already have one.  You can also get that on Amazon for under $10.

Edited by Living Legend

Thanks for reply...

So basically u have Kodi server online 24/7 and you share his media library with RaPI3/Kodi ? just to save time waiting/refreshing library when you want to watch new content?

I have already Android TV box (Minix H8) but i wanted to have all in one device - so i've got the Mainboard (ASROCK J4205-ITX) + tower, ram, disks - i've find out that chipset is not working yet with QEMU :(

So at the moment i have Kodi installed on Android tv box and when i start Kodi there it checks for the new content (*.mkv) in specific folder on Unraid. So i guess there is no need to have Kodi installed on unraid (or i didn't get the purpose right :) )

Edited by killeriq
wording
On 4/1/2017 at 3:03 PM, hernandito said:

I have a slightly un-related question about the VNC screen.

I have a personal web portal that I use to track all my stuff. I used to be able to have a web page where I embedded in an <iframe>  the url of the LibreELEC vnc screen. I could see this along with other personal data.

My link to the LE VNC interface is:

http://192.168.0.201:84/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/vnc.html?autoconnect=true&encrypt=0&host=192.168.0.201&port=5700

It used to work for a long time, but recently (not related to Krypton) it stoppedloading/displaying on an iframe. It shows up perfectly on its own window or tab.

Anyone have any clue?

Thank you...

Just seeing this now.  Are you using Chrome?  If so try installing the Ignore X-Frame headers extension

Edited by Living Legend
7 hours ago, killeriq said:

Thanks for reply...

So basically u have Kodi server online 24/7 and you share his media library with RaPI3/Kodi ? just to save time waiting/refreshing library when you want to watch new content?

I have already Android TV box (Minix H8) but i wanted to have all in one device - so i've got the Mainboard (ASROCK J4205-ITX) + tower, ram, disks - i've find out that chipset is not working yet with QEMU :(

So at the moment i have Kodi installed on Android tv box and when i start Kodi there it checks for the new content (*.mkv) in specific folder on Unraid. So i guess there is no need to have Kodi installed on unraid (or i didn't get the purpose right :) )

The purpose of it is that we're going to assume it's the only instance of Kodi that's assured to be on 24/7.  If you're running an instance of Kodi in the living room and bedroom, but both devices are off, there will be no instance of Kodi to receive a notification that there was a change to the source library.  In this case, you will have to manually tell your device to scan the library the next time you turn it on to see if there's anything new.  

But with the VM, there's always an instance running and updating your library live.  Whenever you turn on one of your media centers, it should be up to date with all media that's in your library.  

Is it necessary?  No, of course not.  But as you mentioned, it saves time, and it's a cleaner, more efficient way of going about keeping your library organized and up to date.  In your case, if you used the virtual instance as we have, when you turn on the Android TV box, assuming you've properly configured your advancedsettings.xml file, you will be ready to roll.

[mention=10290]Squid[/mention] Several of us have gotten this template working with VNC now, perhaps you can link in the sticky post to it or make this post sticky.

No can do. I'm not a mod here (ie: I can still have fun with my posts)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, inky said:

Will there be an official IMG file offered by limetech anytime soon? I don't have time to mess around with templates as this VM is my main player connected to an HDBaseT matrix switch.

I've been asking that since version 6.2.4

It's not that difficult, setup a Linux VM with storage and install LibreELEC. 

After install shut down. 

Edit XML and add/change your <channel> and <video> sections as per Living Legend instructions.

Make sure your Video section reflects the old video section that the VM was created with. 

Remember each time you change the VM by clicking edit the <channel> and <video> sections will be reverted to the previous state. 

As such you will need to edit the XML again. 

3 hours ago, inky said:

Will there be an official IMG file offered by limetech anytime soon? I don't have time to mess around with templates as this VM is my main player connected to an HDBaseT matrix switch.

I'm a little bit confused.  If this VM is your main player, why are you interested in this specific image?  This image was compiled from slightly older source code adding a few newer changes that would allow us users who don't have a dedicated graphics card passed into this VM to run it using VNC.  If this is for your main player, I can't see how you'd be using VNC.

Are you simply looking for an updated IMG file for Kodi?  If that's the case, just download an image file from LibreELECs web page.  You shouldn't have to mess around with any templates.  The unRAID GUI should be all you need.  If you need any help setting it up, just post where you're having trouble and someone should be able to give you a hand.

EDIT:  Here's a link to an image file to use to create a LibreELEC VM

http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.1.img.gz

Edited by Living Legend
  • 4 weeks later...

Crazy Question.

Is it possible with LivingLegends VM to disable the mouse functionality when using the VNC? I have the VNC frame embedded in an <iframe> on a custom web page. I hate that when I move my mouse, and it crosses the iframe, the Kodi interface moves around depending on how the mnouse crossed it.

I would like to be able to use the keyboard if I click inside the iframe though.

I tried deleting the following line from the XML file:

<input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>

It did not work, and the line re-appeared when I went to edit the XML again.

Thanks,

H.

To Answer my own question...Once inside Kodi, in Settings > System > Input, there is a button to disable the mouse. Simply unchecked it and it no longer has a mouse cursor. If I move the mouse elsewhere on my screen, I just press on the blue menu bar above the VNC and this enables me to move through interface with the keyboard.

I am golden!

Edited by hernandito
On 5/4/2017 at 3:01 AM, McKentin said:

Any updates on RX460 pass-trough? Still having trouble with mine, my even cheaper Nvidia GT 710 had now trouble. But i need the havc 4k power from the RX 460.

You don't need this template if you have a physical GPU. 

You can create a VM as you normally would.

This template is for those of us that want to run a headless KODI instance for the sole purpose of updating our database.

4 minutes ago, exist2resist said:

You don't need this template if you have a physical GPU. 

You can create a VM as you normally would.

This template is for those of us that want to run a headless KODI instance for the sole purpose of updating our database.

To be honest i did some test and even on a straight up install of librelec 8.0.1 it has troubles with AMD. After doing some more research and fact is nvidia drivers are better supported in Linux (libreelec). But thanks for you reply! Sold the RX 460 and ordered a Nvidia GTX 1050 it only need to do 4k hardware decoding.

Edited by McKentin
Just now, McKentin said:

To be honest i did some test and even on a straight up install of librelec 8.0.1 it has troubles with AMD. After doing some more research and fact is nvidia drivers are better supported in Linux (libreelec). But thanks for you reply!

I only ever ran a KODI HTPC with AMD GPUs. 

LibreELEC and OpenELEC support them so it should work. 

Are you sure your board is capable of IOMMU?

1 minute ago, exist2resist said:

I only ever ran a KODI HTPC with AMD GPUs. 

LibreELEC and OpenELEC support them so it should work. 

Are you sure your board is capable of IOMMU?

Yes i am 1000% sure even, perhaps you run a older model. This more recent model isn't working right so its a software thing for sure. I did run a windows test also, no problem at all. I you search on people experience with the rx 460 line and up people have mixed results, while all nvidia cards are golden.