File Activity Plugin - How can I figure out what keeps spinning up my disks?

dlandon

Just now, Bovin said:

After disable unassigned devices and cache/pool disks. It works now. 

I noticed something in your diagnostics that might be a sign of a flash problem.

unassigned.devices-plus.plg - 2021.12.12  (Unknown to Community Applications)

CA flagged that plugin as unknown because it had trouble getting information from the .plg file on your flash.  I would suggest making a backup of your flash and then reboot and let Unraid run a flash check when it starts back up.

16 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I noticed something in your diagnostics that might be a sign of a flash problem.

unassigned.devices-plus.plg - 2021.12.12  (Unknown to Community Applications)

CA flagged that plugin as unknown because it had trouble getting information from the .plg file on your flash.  I would suggest making a backup of your flash and then reboot and let Unraid run a flash check when it starts back up.

Thanks for your finding and suggestion. Let me check this.

My box to github connection is unstable due to government firewall. That's what I thought it was issue for Unknown o Community warning. 

31 minutes ago, Bovin said:

Thanks for your finding and suggestion. Let me check this.

My box to github connection is unstable due to government firewall. That's what I thought it was issue for Unknown o Community warning. 

Also try uninstalling and re-installing UD Plus after you reboot if the CA warning persists.  It's possible the .plg is corrupted.

My spin up issue resolved. Docker.img file change sometimes.

By default, it should in cache pool. But in my box, I bring up array, then add cache. Since docker engine runs all the time, so mover are not able to move docker.img to cache disk.

But in this situation, file activity plug are not able to detect any docker.img file change.

My workaround:

Check if VM or docker.image file in spin up disk. If it is, then stop docker engine/vm and run mover to save them to cache disk. 

Edited by Bovin
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Trurl!

How can a single file be in two places?

image.thumb.png.7bb9332665fb62cd62da0d80116bc41b.png

OK I can see that the Docker img file on the cache is the new one the System file on the drive 7 is from 2020 so I deleted it (Could this write to disc 7 happen if the cache drive have run full?)

So I dont think this was spinning the drive up

Edited by casperse
On 4/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, trurl said:

I couldn't see that much detail so didn't know if it was a duplicate or not. The file on cache would have precedence so that one on disk7 wasn't in use, and if it were, you couldn't delete it.

Thanks I have removed them now!

I cant get the File activity working in RC4?

image.png.df0e94207d7585bf6e67b59091377e90.png

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NeoJoris said:

Same here on version 6.9.2 2021-04-07

No file activity visible and service stops repeatedly

image.thumb.png.961d9bf084b4feca09c80fdd9424be79.png

(restarting service via first tab does not result in any file activity)

nas-diagnostics-20220511-1614.zip 302.35 kB · 0 downloads

All I see is the initial start of file activity.  I don't see anything showing you manually started it.  I don't see any stopping of the file activity n the log.  It's probably not enough inotify user watches.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, NeoJoris said:

(restarting service via first tab does not result in any file activity)

Can you show the output of this command run in a terminal?

cat /tmp/file.activity/file.activity.disks

I'm adding some additional logging to try to see what is happening with file activity inotify starting and stopping.  I'm also working on trying to determine why inotify is not reporting any file events.  This has been reported several times.

On 5/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, NeoJoris said:

No file activity visible and service stops repeatedly

Spend some time cleaning up the following FCP errors:

May  7 13:53:00 NAS root: Fix Common Problems Version 2022.04.14
May  7 13:53:01 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Share system set to cache-only, but files / folders exist on the array
May  7 13:53:01 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Docker application binhex-krusader has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option
May  7 13:53:01 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: unRaids built in FTP server is running ** Ignored
May  7 13:53:01 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: No destination (browser / email / agents set for Warning level notifications
May  7 13:53:07 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Deprecated plugin serverlayout.plg ** Ignored
May  7 13:53:11 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: preclear.disk.plg Not Compatible with Unraid version 6.9.2
May  7 13:53:11 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: statistics.sender.plg Not Compatible with Unraid version 6.9.2
May  7 13:53:16 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: Missing DNS entry for host
May  7 13:53:17 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: The plugin openvpn_client_x64.plg is not known to Community Applications and is possibly incompatible with your server
May  7 13:53:17 NAS root: Fix Common Problems: Warning: The plugin openvpn_server_x64.plg is not known to Community Applications and is possibly incompatible with your server

Also remove the preclear.disks plugin and replace it with the UD Preclear Plugin if you feel you need to preclear disks.

Edit: You have a disk problem:

May  8 23:46:06 NAS file.activity: Starting File Activity
May  8 23:58:48 NAS inotifywait[42835]: Couldn't watch /mnt/disk6: Structure needs cleaning

On 5/13/2022 at 12:28 AM, dlandon said:

Can you show the output of this command run in a terminal?

cat /tmp/file.activity/file.activity.disks
root@NAS:~# cat /tmp/file.activity/file.activity.disks
/mnt/disk1
/mnt/disk2
/mnt/disk3
/mnt/disk4
/mnt/disk5
/mnt/disk6
/mnt/disk7
/mnt/disk8
/mnt/disk9
/mnt/disk10
/mnt/disk11
/mnt/disk12
/mnt/disk13
/mnt/disk14
/mnt/disk15
/mnt/bufferdownloads
/mnt/cache

On 5/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, dlandon said:

Spend some time cleaning up the following FCP errors:

I did :D

On 5/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, trurl said:

Your appdata and domains shares have files on the array.

Yes, is fixed now :D 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, dlandon said:

Edit: You have a disk problem:

Well I was not planning to replace that one just yet. As it still functions correctly with all other data; I do not understand what that has to do with the starting and stopping of this plugin. Can you elaborate?

Ive attached dianostics

nas-diagnostics-20220516-1512.zip

10 minutes ago, NeoJoris said:

Well I was not planning to replace that one just yet. As it still functions correctly with all other data; I do not understand what that has to do with the starting and stopping of this plugin. Can you elaborate?

Read the previous post.  The inotify watches would not start on that disk, so file activity could not run.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @dlandon

THX for the great Plugin

I have one Problem sind a last few Updates. It shows me the Modify, a lot of them Hundreds of Lines😞

That floods my Log and i think there is a Log Limit which I reach and therefore do not see what happens next.

Is this still normal? ( If someone open a file, there a only few line (depending on how long someone has access))

Reinstall of the Plugin didn't work. I don't have access to an older version and I don't know how to install it

May 29 14:16:25 MODIFY => /mnt/disk3/Anime-Filme/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006)/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006).mkv

May 29 14:16:25 MODIFY => /mnt/disk3/Anime-Filme/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006)/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006).mkv

May 29 14:16:26 MODIFY => /mnt/disk3/Anime-Filme/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006)/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006).mkv

May 29 14:16:26 MODIFY => /mnt/disk3/Anime-Filme/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006)/Bleach Memories of Nobody (2006).mkv

20 minutes ago, Crys said:

That floods my Log and i think there is a Log Limit which I reach and therefore do not see what happens next.

There is a log limit of 20,000 lines.  When that is reached, the oldest log entries are removed so the latest entries will be shown in the log.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Crys said:

Hi @dlandon

Thanks for your Answer.

Why are there so many entries? Can I compress or disable them (modify status) ? Luckily I didn't have this problem in an earlier version (or it is possible to install an earlier Version?

The idea behind file activity is to log all file activity that can potentially spin up disks.  I don't intend to make any changes to cut down the logged events as this would defeat the purpose of this plugin.

Nothing has changed in what file events are logged in a long time.  It appears the app making the modifications to the file is the issue.  Why are there so many file modifications being made by the app working with the file?

Maybe the 'Open Files' plugin would be better suited for your use case.

• Thanks 1
On 5/16/2022 at 3:26 PM, dlandon said:

Read the previous post.  The inotify watches would not start on that disk, so file activity could not run.

Thanks,

After replacing disk 6 (and xfs_repair in maintenance mode) I've got it working again. But only without cache drives, which is fine for now.