Double or Triple "Cache" pools

While we wait for LT to add this feature I've been playing with multiple btrfs pools with the help of UD plugin for some time with, while there are some limitations it's been working great, I wrote a FAQ entry for anyone who wants to try it, but note it's work in progress, it should be safe but use at own risk:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=462135

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

While we wait for LT to add this feature I've been playing with multiple btrfs pools with the help of UD plugin for some time with, while there are some limitations it's been working great, I wrote a FAQ entry for anyone who wants to try it, but note it's work in progress, it should be safe but use at own risk:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=462135

I will definitely check it out! thanks!

T

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A week ago I had to make a vm to create a software raid of unassigned devices to pool together a bunch of drives so I could back up a server up to itself..... super needlessly complicated....

or we could have more cache pools and things would be awesome to the max. TO THE MAX! Think about it, @limetech, we're taking about THE MAX here!

• Upvote 1

I'm super keen on this (still) purely to have a pool dedicated to VMs.

Wouldn't need to involve the mover and assuming your using btrfs, snapshotting VMs could come into play.

In this case it could also allow an option for VMs  pool to start independently of the rest of the array, bonus for those utilizing a VM for networking purposes (thinking pfSense for starters).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 4:05 PM, johnnie.black said:

THANK YOU ! Although it is clearly a 'MacGyver' trick to fix the issue, being able to set up cache pools through UD is already a pretty good option. In that comment you also said that LT was already planning to add such feature innately to unRaid however I haven't been able to find any source regarding that. May I ask if you have more informations regarding this subject ? After all, it stands to reason to ask such possibility especially with the possibility to create VMs and dockers and the like where most users would prefer to have each VMs / docker cleanly separated in order to avoid stepping on each other's performances and space.

1 hour ago, Yros said:

In that comment you also said that LT was already planning to add such feature innately to unRaid however I haven't been able to find any source regarding that. May I ask if you have more informations regarding this subject ?

Sorry can't point to a specific post but Tom mentioned several times that multiple cache pools are on the roadmap, thought can't tell if it's going to happen on the next release or v8, but it should be soon™

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Sorry can't point to a specific post but Tom mentioned several times that multiple cache pools are on the roadmap, thought can't tell if it's going to happen on the next release or v8, but it should be soon™

That's pretty good news. I suppose you don't have any speculation on the 'soon' delay ? (I mean, everyone got a definition of 'soon'... Like how my mom use to say 'in 5 minutes' but 4 hours later she's still not there xd). Still, pretty nice to know it's on the roadmap \o/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...