[Support] jasonbean - Apache Guacamole

Message added by Taddeusz,

Before upgrading to 1.5.0 you need to have first upgraded to 1.4.0-3 of the container. I discovered that prior to 1.4.0-3 it was not shutting down MariaDB correctly and causing the database to be left in a dirty state.

If after upgrading to 1.5.0 you discover that MariaDB is stopping and the log mentions something about needing to open the database in an older version of MariaDB you should downgrade specifically to 1.4.0-3, start the container and make sure it's running correctly. Then you may upgrade to 1.5.0.

Last night I decided to install RC9. My Guacamole is working fine. I'm able to log in and connect to my remote machines. Not sure what the difference might be?
Sorry, i made a rollback to rc8 and back to 9, also good now ...

I guess it came from turning off ssl for unraid webgui ... only thing i chenged.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

I've read through documentation, and through this thread.  Can't find a resolution to my infinite login loop.

If I'm at the screen of my VM through Guacamole, I hit CTRL+ALT+SHIFT.  On the top right, at the username, I have three options.  Disconnect, Settings & Logout.

1. Disconnect: - Creates a new popup with two options to reconnect or logout.  If I reconnect I log back in.  If I logout it automatically reconnects me.

2. Settings - I'm logged in as a non admin user.  I can cahnge a few things like language and input method.  On the top right is my username.  I have the option of my VM which takes me back to my VM.  I also have the option to logout, which logs me out and auto reconnects me.

3. Logout - You guessed it!  This one logs me out, and then auto logs me back in.

This perpetual loop is maddening!  I've tried incognito mode to make sure it's not a cookie issue.  No good.

While typing this out, I just tried to log in with my local IP rather than my domain name and I got the guacamole apache main login screen.

Any idea how to fix this loop externally?

9 hours ago, Living Legend said:

I've read through documentation, and through this thread.  Can't find a resolution to my infinite login loop.

If I'm at the screen of my VM through Guacamole, I hit CTRL+ALT+SHIFT.  On the top right, at the username, I have three options.  Disconnect, Settings & Logout.

1. Disconnect: - Creates a new popup with two options to reconnect or logout.  If I reconnect I log back in.  If I logout it automatically reconnects me.

2. Settings - I'm logged in as a non admin user.  I can cahnge a few things like language and input method.  On the top right is my username.  I have the option of my VM which takes me back to my VM.  I also have the option to logout, which logs me out and auto reconnects me.

3. Logout - You guessed it!  This one logs me out, and then auto logs me back in.

This perpetual loop is maddening!  I've tried incognito mode to make sure it's not a cookie issue.  No good.

While typing this out, I just tried to log in with my local IP rather than my domain name and I got the guacamole apache main login screen.

Any idea how to fix this loop externally?

As nice as Guacamole is this is one of the things that bothers me about it. They designed it so that if there is only one connection configured it will automatically connect to it as well as reconnect to it. The only way out of that situation is to go to the settings and create a second connection. Once there is more than one connection configured it will go to the selection screen upon login and when you want to disconnect you will then have a "Home" option that wasn't available before.

I believe the reason they have it configured this way is for single application situations like in a Docker container. The one example I have that I use frequently is the HandBrake Docker. It uses Guacamole internal to the container to connect to the X session to display the HandBrake GUI. It's the only connection available so it automatically connects and is the only connection ever available within the Docker.

So, just add a second connection and it will solve your frustration.

11 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

As nice as Guacamole is this is one of the things that bothers me about it. They designed it so that if there is only one connection configured it will automatically connect to it as well as reconnect to it. The only way out of that situation is to go to the settings and create a second connection. Once there is more than one connection configured it will go to the selection screen upon login and when you want to disconnect you will then have a "Home" option that wasn't available before.

I believe the reason they have it configured this way is for single application situations like in a Docker container. The one example I have that I use frequently is the HandBrake Docker. It uses Guacamole internal to the container to connect to the X session to display the HandBrake GUI. It's the only connection available so it automatically connects and is the only connection ever available within the Docker.

So, just add a second connection and it will solve your frustration.

I wish this worked for me, but unfortunately I have two users and two connections and I'm still auto connected upon a disconnect 

2 hours ago, Living Legend said:

I wish this worked for me, but unfortunately I have two users and two connections and I'm still auto connected upon a disconnect 

Do both users have permission for both connections? If they only have permission for one connection each that's still just one connection.

5 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

Do both users have permission for both connections? If they only have permission for one connection each that's still just one connection.

Bingo.  So I basically have to make a dummy connection so that there's no forced reconnect?

Seems like a relatively simple bug to fix, no?

EDIT: So I still have a problem where I can't log out of my current user.  I can switch sessions, but not users.

Edited by Living Legend
More information
6 minutes ago, Living Legend said:

It looks like it logs out of one of my users, but still doesn't allow me to change user at current machine.

That is weird. Are you testing both users on the same machine in the same browser? If that's not the case I would file a bug report with them as this is beyond me. Otherwise at least try from different browsers, not just different browser windows, if not different physical computers at the same time.

Personally I've never had more than one user. Just trying to rule out the possibility of multiple Guacamole sessions in the same browser might not behave correctly.

Edited by Taddeusz
  • 5 weeks later...

I have a feeling i'm doing something wrong but i can't put my finger on what exactly.

I recently cleaned house and removed a bunch of containers i had not used in a while and i also decided to start fresh with this one. So, i add it back (made sure to clean up old data first).

Problem is, when i set the Duo flag to Y it never gives me the opportunity to scan a QR code to add my phone. It just assumes i already did. I disabled the flag, made a second user, re-enabled the flag, same thing.

On 11/4/2017 at 6:51 AM, Shamalamadindong said:

I have a feeling i'm doing something wrong but i can't put my finger on what exactly.

I recently cleaned house and removed a bunch of containers i had not used in a while and i also decided to start fresh with this one. So, i add it back (made sure to clean up old data first).

Problem is, when i set the Duo flag to Y it never gives me the opportunity to scan a QR code to add my phone. It just assumes i already did. I disabled the flag, made a second user, re-enabled the flag, same thing.

Did you fill out the duo-api-hostname, duo-integration-key, duo-secret-key, duo-application-key properties in your guacamole.properties file with the appropriate information for your account?

After investigating this today I've come to the conclusion that this is just going to be how big this is. This is mainly due to the three applications: guacd, tomcat, and mariadb and all their dependencies. I can't see a way to change this. The phusion/baseimage:0.9.22 is only 225MB. Even if I could get it working under the Alpine image it probably wouldn't reduce the overall size by enough to make a huge difference.

I even tried using the guacamole/guacd image as a base , which uses CentOS 7 as it's own base, and after installing tomcat and mariadb the completed image before doing anything else was just over 1GB. That was before adding the Guacamole client, plugins, and all the needed scripting. With Alpine I would still need to have some kind of init system to run all the daemons.

Maybe someone else could do better?

I am trying to load a custom jar extension for skinning the login screen.

I have added my compiled jar to ApacheGuacamole/guacamole/extensions/ and recreate the docker, yet the extension is ignored.  In the logs, I see the LDAP and MySQL extensions applied...

I have confirmed the object owner and permissions of the jar file match that of the other jar extensions in the same directory.

Is there something I need to do in the docker exec script to ensure it is applied?  Should this even be possible with this container?

Thanks!

I tried to retool this with Alpine but it doesn't have packages for all the dependencies to run or build the Guacamole Server. I've manged to reduce the size by a little bit by separating the build and run dependencies. I then remove all the build dependencies before the final image is created thereby reducing the overall size. But like I said before, the size is mainly due to all the dependencies for the Guacamole Server, Tomcat 8, and MariahDB.

Thanks for your response Taddeusz.

I figured out my extension issue... it was unrelated to the container.  I did want to share the jar here though... it is a minimalist dark skinned theme using the guac-ext guide here:

https://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html

Just place the jar in appdata/ApacheGuacamole/guacamole/extensions and recreate the container.

This extension only does the following:

inject custom css overlay

injects 3 custom logo.png files to replace stock guacamole logo on login screen, in the UI, and on browser tab

modify the en.json language library to change the application name from "Apache Guacamole" to ""

Let me know if you are interested in customizing the skin - I am working on creating a tutorial.

generic-customize-extension.jar

login.PNG

prefs.PNG

recent.PNG

Edited by napalmyourmom
5 hours ago, jrdnlc said:

Where does Guacamole log login attempts? There should be a log file named catalina.out but I don't see it anywhere.  @Taddeusz

It just dawned on me that the logging that shows up in the Docker log output is just for guacd. The output for the tomcat8 log is separate. It shows up inside the container in /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out. Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is a way to redirect that log.

1 minute ago, Taddeusz said:

It just dawned on me that the logging that shows up in the Docker log output is just for guacd. The output for the tomcat8 log is separate. It shows up inside the container in /var/log/tomcat8/catalina.out. Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is a way to redirect that log.

I will see what I can do and test it that way. Thanks again