[Support] jasonbean - Apache Guacamole

Message added by Taddeusz,

Before upgrading to 1.5.0 you need to have first upgraded to 1.4.0-3 of the container. I discovered that prior to 1.4.0-3 it was not shutting down MariaDB correctly and causing the database to be left in a dirty state.

If after upgrading to 1.5.0 you discover that MariaDB is stopping and the log mentions something about needing to open the database in an older version of MariaDB you should downgrade specifically to 1.4.0-3, start the container and make sure it's running correctly. Then you may upgrade to 1.5.0.

Yes, but how user will access this folder from client browser? a small example - i'm running some app over a browser and want to upload some file to this app. i hit Open button, it opens standard Open dialog. how i can browse from here to the client filesystem? on standard RDP, you can map say your drive C to the Remote filesystem and access it through \\tsclient\c. but if you open your guac connection from Ubuntu from example?

• 2 weeks later...

I am running mariadb (the official docker) and trying to use sql server auth.  I keep getting errors when I try to run the schema files to init the database.  Anyone else having issues?

Edit:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE guacamole_connection_group_type AS ENUM(
    'ORGANIZATIONAL',
    'BALAN' at line 24

Edited by Jclendineng
1 minute ago, Jclendineng said:

I am running mariadb (the official docker) and trying to use sql server auth.  I keep getting errors when I try to run the schema files to init the database.  Anyone else having issues?

Edit:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE guacamole_connection_group_type AS ENUM(
    'ORGANIZATIONAL',
    'BALAN' at line 24

You wouldn’t use SQL Server auth. That is only for Microsoft SQL Server. MariaDB is the community version of MySQL so you would use that plugin for auth.

On 9/22/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jclendineng said:

Im not even getting that far, I am unable to set up the database initially. Its not guacamole that is the issue now.  I create a database in mariabd, create a user and grant right etc. All that works. I run the initial sql file as a query and I get that error. Its quite odd.

What schema SQL scripts are you trying to run? I don't copy out the schema scripts for MySQL/MariaDB because they are used for the internal MariaDB instance. I only copy out the schema scripts for Microsoft SQL Server if that is the database type you've selected to use. I don't expect that the MSSQL scripts will work on MySQL.

If you need the MySQL scripts you'll need to open a console to your Guacamole docker and copy the files from /root/mysql.

Is there a particular reason for wanting to use an external MariaDB rather than the internal instance? The internal instance of MariaDB will always run so you won't be saving any memory.

On the next release I will make sure the MySQL schema files get copied to the /config folder so you won't have to dig for them.

• Like 1

I've pushed out an update to copy the MySQL schema files to /config when OPT_MYSQL is set to "Y". If someone would rather use their own MySQL or MariaDB server rather than the integrated instance they must use these files to manually install and upgrade the database schema. Otherwise this is all taken care of automatically with the internal instance.

Edited by Taddeusz

Just updated to your latest image and now Tomcat is failing to start. No other changes on my end, and even previous images using their respective tags are no longer working. Seeing the following in the Docker logs for the container:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh...
Using existing properties file.
Using existing MySQL extension.
No permissions changes needed.
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
 * Starting Tomcat servlet engine tomcat8
   ...fail!
guacd[37]: INFO:        Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 0.9.14 started
Starting guacd: SUCCESS
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 40
Database exists.
Database upgrade not needed.
Starting MariaDB...
180925 18:32:42 mysqld_safe Logging to '/config/databases/guacamole.local.err'.
180925 18:32:42 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
Sep 25 18:32:42 guacamole syslog-ng[46]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.6'

1 hour ago, tronyx said:

Just updated to your latest image and now Tomcat is failing to start. No other changes on my end, and even previous images using their respective tags are no longer working. Seeing the following in the Docker logs for the container:

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/firstrun.sh...
Using existing properties file.
Using existing MySQL extension.
No permissions changes needed.
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
 * Starting Tomcat servlet engine tomcat8
   ...fail!
guacd[37]: INFO:        Guacamole proxy daemon (guacd) version 0.9.14 started
Starting guacd: SUCCESS
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 40
Database exists.
Database upgrade not needed.
Starting MariaDB...
180925 18:32:42 mysqld_safe Logging to '/config/databases/guacamole.local.err'.
180925 18:32:42 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/databases
Sep 25 18:32:42 guacamole syslog-ng[46]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.6'

Try deleting all the files in your guacamole/log folder. I’ve recently changed my appdata folder from /mnt/user/appdata to /mnt/cache/appdata and there are apparently issues with file permissions in that situation.

22 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

Try deleting all the files in your guacamole/log folder. I’ve recently changed my appdata folder from /mnt/user/appdata to /mnt/cache/appdata and there are apparently issues with file permissions in that situation.

There was only the catalina.out file. I deleted it, restarted the container and got the same result. The permissions did look correct.

I looked into the catalina.out file and I am seeing the following error, which seems like the culprit:

INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/8.0.32 (Ubuntu)
Sep 25, 2018 7:08:21 PM org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve open
SEVERE: Failed to open access log file [/var/lib/tomcat8/logs/localhost_access_log.2018-09-25.txt]
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/lib/tomcat8/logs/localhost_access_log.2018-09-25.txt (Permission denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.open0(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(FileOutputStream.java:270)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:213)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.open(AccessLogValve.java:579)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.startInternal(AccessLogValve.java:609)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:147)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.startInternal(StandardPipeline.java:170)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.startInternal(ContainerBase.java:930)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.startInternal(StandardHost.java:871)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1408)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$StartChild.call(ContainerBase.java:1398)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

However, it doesn't appear that I'm able to exec any commands on the container or just into the container.

Any suggestions?

Edited by tronyx
6 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

I was having same issue as @tronyx. Delete the catalina.out file and that fixed my issue. Thanks

Edited by jrdnlc
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

Try changing to jasonbean/guacamole:0.9.14-3

Same result, even with the other 0.9.14 tags. I removed the catalina.out file between each one. I even blew away the container completely, including the appdata dir, recreated the container with the latest image and still see the same issue.

1 hour ago, tronyx said:

Same result, even with the other 0.9.14 tags. I removed the catalina.out file between each one. I even blew away the container completely, including the appdata dir, recreated the container with the latest image and still see the same issue.

What path do you use to your appdata folder?

8 minutes ago, tronyx said:

Ha, whoops. Forgot this container isn't on unRAID. Was just searching for a possible resolution to this issue yesterday and found this topic. Apologies. Is there somewhere else you'd rather I post about this?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to support an installation outside of Unraid. I've personally never actually successfully gotten this to run outside of Unraid. The project I took over was written specifically for Unraid so I'm not sure or if it can be usable otherwise.

1 hour ago, Taddeusz said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to support an installation outside of Unraid. I've personally never actually successfully gotten this to run outside of Unraid. The project I took over was written specifically for Unraid so I'm not sure or if it can be usable otherwise.

Ah, ok, I was unaware of that. I'd had it running for a while with no issues prior to this. I'll look into things some more on my end. Thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, robw83 said:

Taddeusz

Ive installed this container for the first time on unraid. I am able to get to the login page, but when i use guacadmin/guacadmin it seems to just reloads the login page. im never able to get to the interface.   Any help would be appreciated. 

I’m at a conference today so I’m away from a computer. The first thing to try is stop the container, delete the ApacheGuacamole folder from your appears folder, then restart Guacamole.

If that doesn't work post the output from the Guacamole Docker log and your catalina.out file. That last file is located in guacamole/log.

• Upvote 1