[Support] jasonbean - Apache Guacamole

Message added by Taddeusz,

Before upgrading to 1.5.0 you need to have first upgraded to 1.4.0-3 of the container. I discovered that prior to 1.4.0-3 it was not shutting down MariaDB correctly and causing the database to be left in a dirty state.

If after upgrading to 1.5.0 you discover that MariaDB is stopping and the log mentions something about needing to open the database in an older version of MariaDB you should downgrade specifically to 1.4.0-3, start the container and make sure it's running correctly. Then you may upgrade to 1.5.0.

2 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

@sentient-russ Also, does it still work on 1.5.3?

Went up to 1.5.3, works fine.  Went back up to :latest, same error.  Removed container from unraid and removed image, reinstalled from template, same error. 

EDIT: I am running the container as custom on br0, with a static IP.  Docker is set to IPvlan.  Using NPM as a reverse proxy.  Not sure if that makes any difference in regard to the 1.5.4 update.

Here is my catalina.out after startup, and failed connection:

image.thumb.png.60a1122f02801515da793efe720d5f49.png

Edited by sentient-russ

So recently updating to latest, Ubunto RDP works when i first lauch from guac but if i close out and try to go back in I only get connecting for only 10 seconds from looking at the Ubunto side(I see the remote icon on the top right), but on the Guac side it only says connecting, then goes to disconnected. I can VNC from unraid no problem and i can RDP from Windows RPD no issue, and if i rollback to guac 1.5.3 the RPD works again. Looks like the issue is with Guac latest. Just an FYI

image.png.3d202d19db3965f559ecd3a1259536d7.png

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey love the container thanks for putting it together.

Problem:

When i try and enable the quick connect extension using the "OPT_QUICKCONNECT: Y" option the plugin is not installed.

The logs show the following :

diff: can't stat '/opt/guacamole/quickconnect/*quickconnect*.jar': No such file or directory
cp: can't stat '/opt/guacamole/quickconnect/*quickconnect*.jar': No such file or directory

On investigating there is actually no quickconnect directory in /opt/guacamole/

If i attempt to put the jar in the extensions directory in appdata manually the containers startup script removes it.

# ls /opt/guacamole/
DEPENDENCIES   cas            guacamole.war  include        ldap           mysql          postgresql     saml           share          totp
bin            duo            header         json           lib            openid         recordings     sbin           sqlserver

@Wild9 Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back. COVID hit my family in the middle of getting a new job. I will work to put the Quick Connect plugin back in. Since I build from the pre-built containers I can't control which plugins get included. But since it was originally in I will put it in.

That being said, if there are ever any plugins you want you are always free to go download them from guacamole.apache.org. For example, I'm never going to include the vault or history recording storage plugins but they may be downloaded and the JAR file copied into the proper folder. This can also be done with the Quick Connect plugin until I can get the changes made.

Edited by Taddeusz

Thanks @Taddeusz, no hurry it's really a minor inconvenience. In this scenario where would be the correct location to add the plugin? As I mentioned if I add it to the extensions folder in the volume on appdata it is removed on container startup with a message about updating the plugin. Should I instead place it in the '/opt/guacamole/quickconnect/' location so the startup process finds it there? In this case it would disappear on container updates. I'm more than happy to just put the jar files in a mounted volume myself, the problem is more that during startup the container seems to remove any manually added extensions.

Edited by Wild9
2 hours ago, Wild9 said:

Thanks @Taddeusz, no hurry it's really a minor inconvenience. In this scenario where would be the correct location to add the plugin? As I mentioned if I add it to the extensions folder in the volume on appdata it is removed on container startup with a message about updating the plugin. Should I instead place it in the '/opt/guacamole/quickconnect/' location so the startup process finds it there? In this case it would disappear on container updates. I'm more than happy to just put the jar files in a mounted volume myself, the problem is more that during startup the container seems to remove any manually added extensions.

I think to prevent it from being remove you should rename the file so that "quickconnect" is not there. You could put a dash in the middle like "quick-connect". Otherwise no matter how you have "OPT_QUICKCONNECT" set it will be removed when the container is started.

19 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

I think to prevent it from being remove you should rename the file so that "quickconnect" is not there. You could put a dash in the middle like "quick-connect". Otherwise no matter how you have "OPT_QUICKCONNECT" set it will be removed when the container is started.

This worked perfectly, thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

Hey all!

Brand new install of this (latest-nomariadb).

Upon startup I get an error;

"An error has occurred and this action cannot be completed. If the problem persists, please notify your system administrator or check your system logs."

I've looked at the Guacamole log and there was nothing. But looking at the other logs (catalina.out and MariaDB error logs) I see that while Guacamole (192.168.202.253) is configured to use the UNAME and PWD in the configuration file, it doesn't use that to try an connect to the DB server (192.168.200.88.)

config

### http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/jdbc-auth.html#jdbc-auth-mysql
### MySQL properties
mysql-hostname: 192.168.200.88
mysql-port: 3306
mysql-database: guacamole
mysql-username: guacamole
mysql-password: *********************************
mysql-server-timezone: America/New_York

catalina.out

14:28:54.765 [http-nio-8080-exec-7] WARN  o.a.g.e.AuthenticationProviderFacade - The "mysql" authentication provider has encountered an internal error which will halt the authentication process.

MariaDB error log

2024-03-13 14:28:32 5 [Warning] Aborted connection 5 to db: 'unconnected' user: 'unauthenticated' host: 'localhost' (This connection closed normally without authentication)
2024-03-13 14:28:32 6 [Warning] Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
2024-03-13 14:28:54 7 [Warning] IP address '192.168.202.253' could not be resolved: Name does not resolve

It is trying to connect to the server as root@localhost

This is the initial startup so there are no tables even created yet on the DBServer.

UPDATE*

The MariaDB error log just updated with a new line

2024-03-13 14:38:54 7 [Warning] Aborted connection 7 to db: 'guacamole' user: 'guacamole' host: '192.168.202.253' (Got timeout reading communication packets)

So user 'guacamole' did connect but the connection timed out for some reason?!

Edited by aglyons
update

If you’re using an external instance of MariaDB or MySQL you will need to manually create the database and tables using the provided schema sql scripts. Automatic database creation and updating are currently only supported for the container that includes MariaDB.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

If you’re using an external instance of MariaDB or MySQL you will need to manually create the database and tables using the provided schema sql scripts. Automatic database creation and updating are currently only supported for the container that includes MariaDB.

AH HA! Was that mentioned somewhere that I totally missed?

While I managed to get those scripts run using PHPMyAdmin eventually, I initially tried running them in DBeaver Desktop v24.0.0.202403091004. DBeaver always failed with an SQL syntax error for some reason.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, PmoshBR said:

Any news for this update?? I'm running 1.5.4 version, and can't activate SFTP with RDP... Does a downgrade will resolve this problem until next release?

1.5.5RC1 just got released. I’ll update as soon as the final version gets released.

I used to be able to connect to my windows machine through swag and guacamole a couple weeks ago.  But now I get disconnected.

image.png.a1e7e1fad92c565a1c98e34456c5382e.png

the Guac log has this:

RDP server closed/refused connection: DNS lookup failed (incorrect hostname?)

I don't know where to start looking for issues with this! I am not a Guacamole expert at all!.... I can connect to the guac home page so I assume swag is working fine.

Was there some recent change in Guac that requires me to change something in my connections?

27 minutes ago, jbuszkie said:

I used to be able to connect to my windows machine through swag and guacamole a couple weeks ago.  But now I get disconnected.

image.png.a1e7e1fad92c565a1c98e34456c5382e.png

the Guac log has this:

RDP server closed/refused connection: DNS lookup failed (incorrect hostname?)

I don't know where to start looking for issues with this! I am not a Guacamole expert at all!.... I can connect to the guac home page so I assume swag is working fine.

Was there some recent change in Guac that requires me to change something in my connections?

I changed the connection info to point to the IP and not the hostname.. and it connected fine.  But the hostname used to work just fine and I didn't change anything that I know of?

4 minutes ago, jbuszkie said:

I changed the connection info to point to the IP and not the hostname.. and it connected fine.  But the hostname used to work just fine and I didn't change anything that I know of?

Has anything on your network changed in those couple weeks? Is the DNS server setting on your Unraid server correct (eg pointing to your router rather than ISP or other public DNS server)?

37 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

Has anything on your network changed in those couple weeks? Is the DNS server setting on your Unraid server correct (eg pointing to your router rather than ISP or other public DNS server)?

I have changed nothing... intentionally... I've updated dockers and probably some plugins.  But I've changed no setting.

I can access the RDP from other windows machine with the hostname.  But not from guac?

41 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

I just checked my unraid network setting and can confirm that DNS is pointing to my router.

On 4/10/2024 at 7:07 PM, Taddeusz said:

Any settings changes in Unraid like switching Docker from macvlan to ipvlan?

No..  But I ended up rebooting my router last week and today it's working for that reason or maybe some other that worked its self out!

Thanks for the help!

Edited by jbuszkie