Do I need more RAM?

Spies

Currently running 4gb (2x2gb) non-ecc modules.

I am running a 5 disc system (1 parity) with the following dockers installed:

Deluge

Couch potato

Sonarr

Plex

Jackett

Would it be beneficial to upgrade to 8gb ECC, or should I just move sideways and get 4gb ECC?

Is there any way to tell if the system is running low on memory? In Windows the system would begin to page, does this happen in Linux?

The only one of those dockers I use is Plex so I don't really know if any of the others are big users of memory, but 4 GB is getting a bit tight and you might want to consider moving to 8 GB. Disk-based Linux distributions often use swap space but unRAID runs entirely in RAM and doesn't use swap space by default. When you run out of memory you get Out Of Memory errors and processes are killed, which is something you really want to avoid.

But why are you considering buying ECC RAM when you currently have non-ECC RAM?

I really doubt you need more. It might make Plex transcoding or library updates go a little quicker. Monitor the memory usage when Plex is doing some transcoding and see what happens.

If you have a crapload of torrents in Deluge which are downloading or seeding using a platter drive then more memory would take some load off the drive. But, if you're not doing heavy loads or using a SSD then I can't see it mattering.

In case you don't know, linux will basically use the excess memory to cache drive contents so instead of the applications using the ram for the data they have to go to the drives more often.

I used to run a bunch of dockers in 2gig of memory and it was always fine.

Two thoughts ...

(1)  I'd absolutely increase your memory, but assuming this is on a motherboard that uses unbuffered memory, I would NOT install more than 2 modules.    So I'd replace your current two modules with a pair of 4GB or 8GB modules [i'd go with a pair of 8GB modules for 16GB total].

(2)  Unless you have a motherboard and CPU with ECC support, then ECC's not even an option.  If you DO have ECC support, then I'd absolutely use ECC modules -- but be sure you buy the right ones (almost certainly unbuffered). 

If you provide the make/model of your motherboard and what CPU you're using we can tell you for certain what you can use.

Yes, officially it maxes out at 8GiB, but 16GiB actually works great for lots of people on the HP G7 MicroServers.  Got a N54L myself with 16GiB. :)

They are a bit picky when it comes to 8GiB modules, though. If 16GiB is tempting, search the web for failure/success stories for the combination of N36L and specific memory modules. KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G might be worth checking out.

So as my utilisation is never really more than 50% I just decided to get 2x2gb ECC unbuffered as I feel it's best not to risk memory errors and corrupting files written to the array.

That's a nice improvement, but for the ~ $20 difference I'd go with a pair of 4GB modules -- UnRAID will use the extra RAM for disk buffering and other uses.  You'd likely find that your utilization would still be at 50% or so -- that doesn't mean it's not taking advantage of the extra RAM.

... it is true, however, that if you're happy with your current performance, then simply switching to ECC is probably all you need to do.