Issue with full drive, unbalance, and permissions

acropora

I noticed my mover is unable to move files because the drive that it needs to move stuff into is full so the mover is stopping early (from what I can tell).

I've tried to use unbalance to move the files around and it seems as if I have some permission conflict. See here:

6C10vPH.png

I downloaded the suggested plugin. The output is below:

mRA2iC5.png

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

You first needed to post up the diagnostics file.  'Tools'  >>>  'Diagnostics.  Upload the file with your next post. 

You should also look at the 'Main' page and see what the information there is saying about disk 2. 

You can ignore the warning about the HPA partition on disk 1.  It won't hurt anything but you may want to see if your MB has a BIOS setting which will stop the BIOS from creating another one. (Search for HPA on this forum.)

You probably have a plugin (or Docker) setup wrong which is causing the files with the wrong owner/permissions to be written to the array. 

You first needed to post up the diagnostics file.  'Tools'  >>>  'Diagnostics.  Upload the file with your next post. 

You should also look at the 'Main' page and see what the information there is saying about disk 2. 

You can ignore the warning about the HPA partition on disk 1.  It won't hurt anything but you may want to see if your MB has a BIOS setting which will stop the BIOS from creating another one. (Search for HPA on this forum.)

You probably have a plugin (or Docker) setup wrong which is causing the files with the wrong owner/permissions to be written to the array.

Thanks for the response. See attached diagnostics.

As for disk 2: the error is that it is full. When you say a plugin or docker is set up wrong, can you give me an example that would cause wrong owner/permissions? Just out of curiosity, could there be an issue caused by me downloading files on a separate computer using a networked drive (that is, the unraid server).

unraid-diagnostics-20170216-1144.zip

I had the same issue as files were being written to my shares as the user that had permission to the share that I'd mounted it is. In this case the user was "download" so all of my files had "download" as the owner.

Before running unbalance I ssh'd in and ran chown to change everything to nobody. Unbalance then ran fine.

I think I ran something like :

chown nobody -R /mnt/user/*

You can run the Docker safe New Permissions and it will fix all of the current owner/permissions errors.  But first look and see if you can figure out what files /folders have the wrong owner permission.

You can do the by logging on to the console or using PuTTY.  Then type the following two lines of code:

cd /mnt/user
LS -al

You will see a list of your user shares.  Pick one of them and type  cd  then a space and one of those share names (Capitalization is important!). Now type ls -al  and you will see something like this:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  168843651 Apr 10  2013 2.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  169098762 Apr 16  2013 2.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  169578772 Apr 24  2013 20.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  168902798 May  2  2013 2D.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  167076503 May 14  2013 211.mp4

The first grouping is the permissions, followed by a '1', the next two columns are the owner and the group followed by the size, the file creation date and the file name.  The permission, owner and group on all of your files should be as you seen here.  When you find one that it different, try to figure out what program/plugin/Docker wrote it.

Quick explanation:  cd is the Linux change directory command and ls -al provides a list of files and the -al are two parameters that indicate which files and the formatting of the list.  (Any Linux primer will provide details of these commands and what you are  really doing.)

Smart Report on Disk 2 looks fine. 

I suspect that you have made a mistake in setting up your shares. Here is a section of an earlier manual that will give you what you need to know:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#User_shares_2

I would suggest that you read this entire section on Allocation method, Minimum Free Space and Split Level.  (When setting minimum free space, turn on the Help feature in the GUI as there has been a change from the original method to make things simpler!)

You can run the Docker safe New Permissions and it will fix all of the current owner/permissions errors.  But first look and see if you can figure out what files /folders have the wrong owner permission.

You can do the by logging on to the console or using PuTTY.  Then type the following two lines of code:

cd /mnt/user
LS -al

You will see a list of your user shares.  Pick one of them and type  cd  then a space and one of those share names (Capitalization is important!). Now type ls -al  and you will see something like this:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  168843651 Apr 10  2013 2.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  169098762 Apr 16  2013 2.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  169578772 Apr 24  2013 20.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  168902798 May  2  2013 2D.mp4
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  167076503 May 14  2013 211.mp4

The first grouping is the permissions, followed by a '1', the next two columns are the owner and the group followed by the size, the file creation date and the file name.  The permission, owner and group on all of your files should be as you seen here.  When you find one that it different, try to figure out what program/plugin/Docker wrote it.

Quick explanation:  cd is the Linux change directory command and ls -al provides a list of files and the -al are two parameters that indicate which files and the formatting of the list.  (Any Linux primer will provide details of these commands and what you are  really doing.)

Thanks, I will look into this when I get home.

Smart Report on Disk 2 looks fine. 

I suspect that you have made a mistake in setting up your shares. Here is a section of an earlier manual that will give you what you need to know:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#User_shares_2

I would suggest that you read this entire section on Allocation method, Minimum Free Space and Split Level.  (When setting minimum free space, turn on the Help feature in the GUI as there has been a change from the original method to make things simpler!)

I will definitely go through the settings again. Did you see any red flags on my share settings while going through the diagnostic file?

I will definitely go through the settings again. Did you see any red flags on my share settings while going through the diagnostic file?

Yes, you have a split level of 1 for many of your shares.  This will cause all of the files for that share  to be stored on a SINGLE disk unless you manually create a folder with that share name on another disk.  Read that section on "Split level" very carefully and use the illustration that is there to help you understand what is happening.  I always have to go through it every time I get involved with dealing with it.  But I tend to use .iso files for most of my video files which for the most part eliminate the necessity of keeping certain groups of files together on the same disk.

Yes, you have a split level of 1 for many of your shares.  This will cause all of the files for that share  to be stored on a SINGLE disk unless you manually create a folder with that share name on another disk.  Read that section on "Split level" very carefully and use the illustration that is there to help you understand what is happening.  I always have to go through it every time I get involved with dealing with it.  But I tend to use .iso files for most of my video files which for the most part eliminate the necessity of keeping certain groups of files together on the same disk.

I believe I did this intentionally to avoid having too many drives spin up to access files that play after one another. I guess this causes issues as if there's no more space on the assigned drive, it can't allocate future files to that folder (thus drive). Is this correct?

Also, is this the cause of my permission issues? That seems to be something completely different, correct? You mentioned using the "Docker Safe New Permissions", are you referring to the function within tools>new permission? Once I run this, I should be free to run unBALANCE. Is the idea behind ssh'ing and running "LS -al" to find the root of the permissions (i.e. what folders/programs are causing this issue)? Thanks for the guidance and clarifications.

The split level issue is NOT the cause of your permissions problems!  There can be two "New Permission" apps on the 'Tools' page.  One is called "New Permissions" and you do not want to run that one!  One of the commonly installed Plugins will install a one called "Docker Safe New Perms"  and that is the one  to use.  (It seems to me, it is Fix Common Problems.)

Yes, you are right about the use of the Linux command line commands.  Using them and looking at the files (and folders/directories), you should be able to figure out what is generating those files.  You can then ask in that support thread for a solution to the permissions problem.  It could just be a matter of updating the app.