VMs Need Booted Twice Everytime

I've seen some old forum posts about this, but none that have a solution.

Every time I try to boot my VMs, they fail the first time. No errors in the logs. They boot successfuly every other time. Consistently. Wierd. The logs always looks like this:

017-02-17 03:06:43.971+0000: starting up libvirt version: 2.4.0, qemu version: 2.7.1, hostname: 2Gamers1PC

LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name guest=Gamer2,debug-threads=on -S -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-Gamer2/master-key.aes -machine pc-i440fx-2.7,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -drive file=/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on -drive file=/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/a730af8a-aec7-479e-ac3f-ff00fdad805f_VARS-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1 -m 20480 -realtime mlock=off -smp 10,sockets=1,cores=5,threads=2 -uuid a730af8a-aec7-479e-ac3f-ff00fdad805f -display none -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-2-Gamer2/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=ice ide-hd,bus=sata0.3,drive=drive-sata0-0-3,id=sata0-0-3 -netdev tap,fd=25,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=28 -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:a4:f7:fe,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-2-Gamer2/org.qemu.guest_agent.0,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device vfio-pci,host=04:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5 -device vfio-pci,host=04:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 -device usb-host,hostbus=9,hostaddr=3,id=hostdev2,bus=usb.0,port=1 -device usb-host,hostbus=9,hostaddr=2,id=hostdev3,bus=usb.0,port=2 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 -msg timestamp=on

Domain id=2 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

2017-02-17T03:07:14.857953Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 2551

2017-02-17 03:07:17.887+0000: shutting down, reason=shutdown

The "tainted" parts in those last few lines are what other posters have titled their topics with in the past, it's the only thing that seems like a clue as to what's going on.

This doesn't seem to be a huge issue because I just have to start twice every time and then I'm good, but does anyone know why this is happening?

Domain id=2 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu

The "tainted" parts in those last few lines are what other posters have titled their topics with in the past, it's the only thing that seems like a clue as to what's going on.

Not that I can particularly help, but the "tainted" message doesn't mean what it implies that it means.

tainted: high-privileges means that kvm/qemu is running as root - perfectly normal

tainted: host-cpu means that the cpu is being passed through instead of being emulated.  perfectly normal.

boot using vnc connection only, no usb devices, no pci devices to test.

I had a failing (well, semi-failing) usb3 card that would lock up the vm on reboot 1-2 times before successfully allowing it to continue on as if nothing were a problem. I only caught it because it threw a few weird lines into the system log, but never anything into the vm log.

This exact issue was happening to me. Fixed it by doing the following:

Type Control Panel in the search box.

Click Control Panel.

Click Power Options.

Click Choose what the power buttons do.

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.

Click Save changes.

Give that a go and try again.

Click Control Panel.

Click Power Options.

Click Save changes.

that is also important. I often forget that not everyone follow the same guide to making a win10 vm.

Click Control Panel.

Click Power Options.

Click Save changes.

Well would you look at that. It worked. Thank you! How have I never stumbled across this setting before? You have any idea what this setting actually adjusts on the backend?

I think I found it in the unraid wiki somewhere? Can't seem to locate it now.

Not exactly sure what it does but it doesn't seem to have effected the operation of my VM, I assume it would make a difference on bare metal in boot up times but how much I'm not sure..

Glad you got it resolved (it bugged me for ages too!)